You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Taken from another site, this pretty much sums up where Everton are as a club and a fanbase these days. It's in reply to something I posted and I  think this poster absolutely nails it :

The inception of the premier league turned 'em. They couldn't accept that due to a catalogue of poor decisions by their own club, they were left trailing behind. That's when they decided to blame us for all their failings. And that's what "ifithadntofbeenferheysel" was born out of. Since then, that generation of blues have had kids and passed on all that frustration, bitterness and hatred on to them. And because of that, that's all those poor young bastards know.
Son of Spion reply :

And this, in a nutshell, tells you everything about the modern Everton. An entity that from top to bottom refuses to take any responsibility whatsoever for itself. Ironic given their inane chant, but they are always the victim. It's never their fault. They simply refuse to take responsibility for their own endless line of poor decisions over the years. Not consolidating when they finally got it right in the 80s. Resting on their laurels. Poor signing after poor signing. Disastrously insular marketing of the club over decades which has painted them into a corner. Being serial manager hire the firers. The list of errors by them is endless...

The problem across the park is rather than taking responsibility and learning from their mistakes, they take the easy option and look to blame others for their own mess. They've identified a scapegoat and incorporated that scapegoat and the scapegoat narrative into their own DNA. The victim mentality is now entrenched within them.

From top to bottom, their mentality is to blame others. In their eyes they are perfect and are only prevented from being where they crave to be because of their scapegoat. They are a club and a fanbase in absolute denial. They don't learn from their mistakes because they don't believe they make any. They don't own their mistakes and would rather deflect and blame others instead. Again, ironic given the chants, but they revel in their own perceived victimhood and use it as an excuse for their own enduring failure. It's in the fabric of their club now, and rampant within their fanbase.

I find that in life you only really move forward when you own your own mistakes and are willing to learn from them. It's about personal responsibility. But, it's far too easy to blame anything and everything other than yourself at times. It's far less painful to do so, but it leaves you stuck in victimhood. Everton and its fanbase is a classic example of an entity that refuses to accept personal responsibility for its own failings.

Regarding the age group of their bitter element. It's far from just being their youth. I remember going to a pre-season tournament at Goodison in the 90s including us, them and two other European sides. I was in the lower bullens in their section with my then girlfriend. There was a guy there who I'd say was in his 40s who was absolutely purple with rage, bile and hate everytime the reds in our section sang anything. Honestly, this was a grown adult reduced to a gibbering wreck by the sound of a few Liverpool songs. This kind of older blue are not uncommon. And let's not forget, the younger element get their education from their elders who either exhibit this vile behaviour or condone it by not condemning it when it shows up.

They are a club and a fanbase that has long since lost it's way. Their pathological obsession with us has further bent them out of shape and left them without an identity of their own. They are now defined by their obsession with LFC. It's all they have now. To earn your stripes as a bitter, you have to show a hatred for Liverpool. The deeper and more pathological the better. This is what it now means to be blue. A fanbase driven by hate, bitterness, envy, jealousy and victimhood. A club that takes no responsibility for its own failings and a fanbase all too happy to join in. What we see as a result is the whole sorry, putrid mess that they have become.

Edit: Bloody hell. Typing on my phone and didn't realise that was so long.

• Upvote 3

The last paragraph nails them. You have to have a rabid hatred of everything to do with Liverpool to earn your stripes as an Evertonian. 

"Arrr lad, they played that song at my aunties funeral so I battered the priest and smashed up the church and painted all the blood on Jesus on the crucifix at the front of the church blue. Boss blue me, you have to take a stand against der redshite infesting every area of life"

Mentioned this one before but it amazed me for some reason even knowing what they are. Good BS neighbours wife is a big red, a nicer woman you couldn’t wish to meet. Before the CL final I was talking to one of their shy boys, 16 and scared of his own shadow. I asked him about the final and his eyes lit up, wanted Real to win etc, what about your Mum I said? He looked at me like I was stupid. Nice kid.

Also good BS neighbour had a few the other week and knocked at ours to ask us to watch the house as they were going away for the weekend. He got talking about football and mentioned his younger lad who is 14 and how he is the most optimistic blue ever. Went on to say he told his lad if he wants to be optimistic he should support his Mum’s team as every year is their year. I let it go.

Spoke to him about a week later and mentioned that I had personally never heard anyone say that, and he just went blank. Put a pint in any blue and it will come out. Sad really.

11 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Remember him last year saying Keita was  “ not on his radar “ and thinking he was a DM the plank

They don't half moan about some of the shit ex-reds pundits come out with and they have a point with some of them. Lawro, Nicol, Murphy, Redknapp etc... But the ex-blues hardly cover themselves in glory either. Phil Neville, Kevin Radcliffe, Kevin Kilbane and Leon fucking Osman are some of the worst pundits I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. They are absolutely awful. Neville and Osman being the worst.

4 hours ago, aws said:

I never talk football with them because even the most outwardly sensible ones are unhinged deep down and it's a waste of time. 

True this, I have a mate in work who is in fairness very knowledgeable about football but keep probing enough and the insanity comes bursting out like a spring

5 hours ago, Lycan said:

They don't half moan about some of the shit ex-reds pundits come out with and they have a point with some of them. Lawro, Nicol, Murphy, Redknapp etc... But the ex-blues hardly cover themselves in glory either. Phil Neville, Kevin Radcliffe, Kevin Kilbane and Leon fucking Osman are some of the worst pundits I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. They are absolutely awful. Neville and Osman being the worst.

Most ex Liverpool pundits try to be objective when it comes to Everton but ex Everton pundits can't hide their dislike of us. Barry Horne used to commentate on our games and was annoyed if we were winning or playing well. 

Radio City used to have a phone in and Tommy Smith used to host it at teatime on a Saturday.  This was before 5.30 games. He always tried to be objective about Everton but they complained so much about him hosting it he got replaced by Duncan Mckenzie. Just like "red" Echo it was a myth that it was all biased against them.

He couldn't hide his dislike of Liverpool and it got turned into the equivalent of a GOT phone in minus the swearing and murderer accusations.

If ex red pundits were as biased as their pundit ex players they would lose the plot.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, Lycan said:

To be honest you could throw a blanket over everyone listed. Useless fuckers the lot of them who do neither club any favours. On the plus side it allows long haired shirkers like Mr U to make a living and explains the rise of fanTV as i think people are just fed up with the lot of them.

• Upvote 1