You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-hero-duncan-ferguson-still-9625965

He is a forward-thinking coach with a bright blue future ahead of him.

But for now Duncan Ferguson has allowed himself to reflect on the past, specifically his iconic Everton career - and one moment in particular.

The Blues have granted their former striker a testimonial later this summer and have picked Villarreal as the opponents.

Everton, Ferguson and the Spanish outfit have history after a 2005 Champions League qualifier was mired in controversy.

Big Dunc raises a wry smile when asked why the La Liga side were picked as the visitors to Goodison on Sunday, August 2, but the end of Everton’s Champions League dream is still no laughing matter.

Ferguson met a corner with a powerful header.

The ball hit the back of the net and David Moyes’ side were level in the tie.

But, bafflingly, Italian referee Pierluigi Collina ruled the goal out.

To this day still, Ferguson cannot fathom why his goal was disallowed.

“I watched it back on YouTube and I have no idea why he has ruled the goal out,” Ferguson told the ECHO.

“I think he may have had it in his mind that he was going to blow for a foul even before the ball had been delivered.

“He had been hard on me the whole game.

“He’s seen a bit of a melee and decided he was going to blow, no matter what.

“He couldn’t pick up on anything I had done or anyone in my vicinity but he came up with some story about Marcus Bent, who was 20 yards away and not affecting the play. It was a ridiculous decision and it costs us.”

Ferguson added: “We feel as if we had a strong side that year.

934890.jpgThe goal that might have been: Duncan Ferguson's header in Villarreal is ruled out by Pierluigi Collina as Everton bid to reach the Champions League in 2005

“We’d come fourth in the league the previous season.

“Villarreal were obviously a good side and they got to the semi-finals but we could’ve done pretty well.

“I don’t think we ever really recovered from getting knocked out in that game. We went into the Uefa Cup (Dinamo Bucarest) but we’d not recovered and we got battered in the next round.”

Villarreal provide Everton with their final friendly of the summer ahead of the new Premier League season starting on August 8.

“The club thought it would provide a nice twist with it being 10 years on,” Ferguson said.

“I hadn’t realised it had been that long, time flies.

h_00247196.jpgFormer ref Pierluigi Collina, pictured on the cover of his autobiography, whose decision still baffles Ferguson

“I’m delighted the club could get Villarreal over because they are a high class outfit, they came sixth in La Liga, we’ve got a bit of history with them and so it will be a good day.”

Ferguson, now a first-team coach under Blues boss Roberto Martinez, will certainly be in the Goodison dugout for the game next month, but what about being on the pitch?

“I’m hoping to be on the pitch although I’ve been pressurized into it a wee bit,” he said with a smile.

“But it’s a good thing because I’m desperate to get out there.

“Obviously, when you get to my age, it is a wee bit difficult to rule yourself into a game three weeks before - I didn’t do that as a player!

“I was normally a Friday man for ruling myself fit so I’ll wait up until the last minute to see if I can get myself fit, which would be a dream of mine.

“But it is going to be a competitive match so we don’t want too many old codgers out there, stinking up the place.

“It is something you very rarely get back so I’ve got one more chance to get out there and sample that atmosphere and that’s what I’m looking forward to doing, if I can.”

Everton will recognise Duncan’s ten years of service as a player and ongoing contribution as a first-team coach in a testimonial game against Villarreal at Goodison Park on Sunday 2 August (kick-off 3pm). Tickets are on sale now, priced at £20 for adults and £10 for Under-16s and Over-65s.To purchase tickets, call 0151 556 1878, visit the Park End Box Office or buy online at evertonfc.com/eticketing.

That picture of Collina is brilliant. 

Guest davelfc

Because if they had got through they would have defo beaten Arsenal or Barcelona in the final

I'm gutted for them, if they hadn't lost all those games last season they'd have won the league. I've watched those games on YouTube and to this day I can't fathom how on earth they lost. I think the referees and the opposition players must have just had it in for them on those days. Terrible really because apart from the loses and draws they had some great wins.

That's football I suppose and you just have to pick yourself up and get on with it.

Guest davelfc

What they avoid mentioning is that the game continued and they lost 4-2 on aggregate anyway. So had the goal been allowed they would have lost 4-3 on aggregate and still been out. I'd have some sympathy had it been decided on away goals but they lost the two legs by two clear goals.

I suppose Juventus turned them down?

Sounds like a character from the Viz, "Bluenose Matt, the bitter twat" There he is head shaved, about 50, fat and in a taxi. Dressed in blue hat, blue shirt with "Ferguson' on the back and a blue and white rattle. Any passenger gets in and mentions any tenuous link with us and he's off on one and the poor passenger ends up beaten and on the side of the road. 

Some woman gets in the taxi, "Hello, can you take me to a local cleaners in Liverpool, I have this red shirt I need..."

"Aaaaaargh, red shite, fucking Collina, meeerdering shites, aaaarrgghhhh, Telly clapping, 'thump' redshite, bastards 'thump'

This strip should be in the last TLW issue!

• Upvote 1

Could do a whole series of these....

Blueshite Matt, The Bitter Twat -Valentine's Day.

(His mobi rings) z cars theme which he let's play for a full 30 seconds before answering (it's his tart)

'Hiya luv, appenin?'

'if yer get in early tonight I've gorra little treat for yer for valentine's day - let's just say I've been to town today and been undies shopping an tha'

'oh aye! I'll be in early, girl,see yer after, just finishing me pint phwooar'

Matt arrives home and his tart opens the door in a rain mac drags him inside and drops the mac to the floor to reveal her brand new sexy undies

'arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh, fucken red, red for fucks sake...redshite merdererers, stevie Gerrard the babys not yours, arrrrrrgggggghhhh Kopites are gobshites, telly clappers, arrrrrrrrghhhhhh'

Thump, fucken redshite, Thump.

• Upvote 6

Guest davelfc

Bluenose Matt the bitter twat - christmas.

Matt's wife and small child, the poor child is dressed in full bluenose kit in the snow and freezing as they make their way through town to take him to meet Santa for the first time.

Matt: "There you go Duncan-Lineker, go in and tell Santa what you want for xmas son, (Matt winks to his wife and flashes a half season ticket he bought earlier) 

Moments later young Duncan-Lineker walks out, a large red ball in his hands.

Matt: "Splutter, WHAAAAT whaaaat de fook is dat, gerrear (and he runs in to the grotto to be met by santa in his red and white suit) No wonder, yer redshite bastard, (thump) telly clapping wankers (thump) meerderers (thump) 

Next week: Bluenose Matt the bitter twat gives blood. 

• Upvote 11

Bluenose Matt the bitter twat at the travel agents:

His wife wants to go to Turkey on holiday. The travel agent says "oh yeah it's really nice Marmaris, they've got a Liverpool bar there, you can do day trips to Efeseus, Kos and Istanbul. "Aaaagghhh fuckin Istanbul, fuckin Kopites, fucking twats, noooo, not going ter fucking Turkey, plus they have a red flag, no chance".

Travel agent shocked at his behaviour says "what about Greece?" - "Err yeah, that's got a blue flag and it will be cheap there". Travel agent says "yes, the Greek Islands are lovely, plus you could go to the mainland and visit Athens". "Yer what love??, and have some dirty Kopite rob me and get in the Acropolis with my tour voucher, fuck that!"

Travel agent: what about Italy?. "Fuck off love, not going to Rome as I'll probably bump into that Kopite Dave Kirby and a load of Kopites will push a wall on me, meeerdeeerrreerrs"

Travel Agent starts scratching her head, "why not try something completely different and go to the Deep South in America?. We do a tour of Nashville, New Orleans and Memphis, you can go to the legends show with the likes of Elvis, Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton?. Bluenose Matt "nooooooo, I'm not to no fucking show and listening to that Ring of Fire Kopite shit, plus Elvis sung THAT song and I bet Dolly Parton is an honorary redshite". "Fuck it love, we're going back to Rhyl.

• Upvote 6

Guest davelfc

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you, no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself you ain't gonna have a life." - Rocky Balboa

24DA2F4600000578-0-image-a-67_1421702823

​He must be spinning in his grave.

• Upvote 3

Bluenose Matt, The Bitter Twat. School

Matt's youngest lad Ossie-Howard is starting school, proud as punch Matt takes him down to Lasers to get him kitted out with the school uniform.

"Need a polo shirt for Monksdown Primary in Noggsy for me lad, lad" (they moved their from just off county road recently)

"No problem"

Fella bends down and pops back up

"here you go" presenting the shirt to Matt and little Ossie-Howard

"arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh eeezzz not wearing dat.....red, redshite, merdererers, Norwegian twats, arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh THUMP eeezzz not going dat shithole, I'll teach him meself, THUMP.....come on lad repeat after me aaaaaaanddddbaaaaaallll, and if you know yer history!"

• Upvote 1

The Blue Union had a meeting today at which the architect who did the redevelopments at Newcastle and Villa put forward a plan to revamp Goodison for only £100m (I believe that the price of wood is quite cheap at the moment). He's also managed to phase it so that none of the ground needs to be closed during a season and the financial requirements could be spread out.

For some reason this appears to have caused civil war at GOT. I swear that they would rather remain in the shit so that they all have something to whine and be bitter about

Bluenose Matt, The Bitter Twat. School

Matt's youngest lad Ossie-Howard is starting school, proud as punch Matt takes him down to Lasers to get him kitted out with the school uniform.

"Need a polo shirt for Monksdown Primary in Noggsy for me lad, lad" (they moved their from just off county road recently)

"No problem"

Fella bends down and pops back up

"here you go" presenting the shirt to Matt and little Ossie-Howard

"arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh eeezzz not wearing dat.....red, redshite, merdererers, Norwegian twats, arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh THUMP eeezzz not going dat shithole, I'll teach him meself, THUMP.....come on lad repeat after me aaaaaaanddddbaaaaaallll, and if you know yer history!"

" monkytown " brings back memories that. Great little school.