You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

If you read the first book again there a whole load of subtle but hints nonetheless that something was amiss with Ned. It's a long time since I have read GOT but I remember coming away with the distinct impression that Ned took a secret to his grave concerning his sister Lyanna. His sister supposedly died from a fever yet Ned remembers it as ‘Lyanna in her bed of blood.’ When he is thinking of the promises he made to a dying Lyanna he also thinks of the price it has cost him to do so. There is also I believe a line about the lies he has been forced to tell for the last 14 years(since the death of Lyanna). Another mystery is why she was found by Ned at the Tower of Joy guarded by several Kingsguards. Rhaegar was already dead at this point and as the name implies they should have been off elsewhere guarding royalty.

You take that and couple it with a few other thoughts. He never calls or thinks of Jon as his son only of his blood. When he is facing his last days in the cell he talks of the the shame and sorrow in being unable to tell Jon something. It never amounts to an outright statement but it's in my mind suggestive of Jon's true parentage.

One last point to make. Almost all the bad press leveled at Rhaegar comes from Robert. It's in complete contrast to almost every other character who talks of him. If you can't trust Robert's opinion can you also trust his assertion that Rhaegar was a rapist?

• Upvote 1

Finally watched the last episode. Underwhelming, but good in the main, episode.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

They really should have borne out the three deaths this series, especially considering Jaime's back in King's Landing BEFORE the event... which makes no fucking sense. The subsequent grief and suspicion are major parts of his estrangement to his family. Only Robb is gone and the leech device will be long forgotten by most next season.

Also this episode was too positive at the end, Tyrion in chains, Sansa alone with Littlefinger and the threat of assault on Castle Black would have left me desperate for more. Instead it was all a bit aimless and the promise for the action and drama of the next series is missing.

If you read the first book again there a whole load of subtle but hints nonetheless that something was amiss with Ned. It's a long time since I have read GOT but I remember coming away with the distinct impression that Ned took a secret to his grave concerning his sister Lyanna. His sister supposedly died from a fever yet Ned remembers it as ‘Lyanna in her bed of blood.’ When he is thinking of the promises he made to a dying Lyanna he also thinks of the price it has cost him to do so. There is also I believe a line about the lies he has been forced to tell for the last 14 years(since the death of Lyanna). Another mystery is why she was found by Ned at the Tower of Joy guarded by several Kingsguards. Rhaegar was already dead at this point and as the name implies they should have been off elsewhere guarding royalty.

You take that and couple it with a few other thoughts. He never calls or thinks of Jon as his son only of his blood. When he is facing his last days in the cell he talks of the the shame and sorrow in being unable to tell Jon something. It never amounts to an outright statement but it's in my mind suggestive of Jon's true parentage.

One last point to make. Almost all the bad press leveled at Rhaegar comes from Robert. It's in complete contrast to almost every other character who talks of him. If you can't trust Robert's opinion can you also trust his assertion that Rhaegar was a rapist?

There's also a dream by Ned arriving at the Tower which has been made into an animated sequence as (I think) part of the TV series but never aired. I've seen it but can't remember where. I'm sure someone can track it down if they're interested in seeing it.

Without giving anything away if you read the books there is a lot of hints supporting this theory. Plus Robert had all the Targaryan kids killed so there would be no future claims to his thrown. Eddard does find Lyanna Stark dying but its never stated by what cause. Hope this helps!

Still on book one, but taking PT tomorrow so will get through a few pages!

• 3 weeks later...

Half way through the third book now. I reckon that watching the tv has helped me follow the characters as I'm reading the book, especially when the book goes off in tangents to where the tv shows go. Also very good at giving you the backstory and some depth to the world they reside in, as you're moving through mostly things you've already seen on the televizzle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...