You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It amounted to absolutely nothing.

Even if it had had a good payoff at the end I didn't like it. They were just a one dimensional baddie, just motiveless zombies, reminded me of those generic baddies in power rangers, puddies I think they were called. Just seemed out of context for the rest of the show, as even with the shittiest of the shitcunt bad guys you got where they were coming from. But then people seemed to buzz off white walkers and also the dragons which I also didn't dig

• 1 year later...

Watching this again, the episode where the wildlings attack the wall takes the absolute piss with how good it is. Can't believe people moan about this show based on its ending, do people not remember telly in the 80s? Dempsy and Makepiece and the fucking Grumbleweeds?

• Upvote 5

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Watching this again, the episode where the wildlings attack the wall takes the absolute piss with how good it is. Can't believe people moan about this show based on its ending, do people not remember telly in the 80s? Dempsy and Makepiece and the fucking Grumbleweeds?

I agree that it was brilliant but that doesn't excuse how it ended,and that makes it even harder to get over. It was a rush job, however the show runners didn't sign up to write the show, but to adapt the books. It's wasn't unexpected that the last seasons, where they had to basically work of bullet points from Martin, weren't as good as seasons 1to4. 

A missed opportunity all round. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Just because we’ve had worse shows doesn’t mean we should accept how it turned out. 

For me it was the massive drop off in quality, the show was top tier and arguably one of the best shows of all time. But that end was so awful because it was so rushed. It was like eating a fantastic sandwich only to find mushed up spider as you get to the last bite.

if they had spent more time and given it another season they could have really tied up a lot and avoided breaking the rules of the universe they had created (travel time etc) which while not fundamental changed the feel of the show completely. The writing completely fell away too as they tried to rush the end leaving huge plot holes.

my main challenges are;

The walkers - who were ultimately pointless they could have explained a lot more of who they were and why were attacking. They also wasted all of the azor ahai/ the Prince that was promised prophecy. None of the characters were really in danger in the final fight and it was all so anticlimactic.

jamie Lannister’s redemption arc being destroyed on a whim by him going back to Cersei (all that volanqhuar prophecy pointless for her too).

dany going mad could have made sense if they had taken the time for it but she seemingly just switched. Jon essentially got away with what he did with no real consequences. 

bran being king also doesn’t solve much as he can’t have heirs so all they have done is set up a war of succession later. The north being independent again causes more problems than it solves.

There’s loads of others (battle tactics, unending supply of troops). One or two you can forgive but combined they are a cluster fuck.

I still love first 6 series but the end does put me off a full rewatch.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Just because we’ve had worse shows doesn’t mean we should accept how it turned out. 

For me it was the massive drop off in quality, the show was top tier and arguably one of the best shows of all time. But that end was so awful because it was so rushed. It was like eating a fantastic sandwich only to find mushed up spider as you get to the last bite.

if they had spent more time and given it another season they could have really tied up a lot and avoided breaking the rules of the universe they had created (travel time etc) which while not fundamental changed the feel of the show completely. The writing completely fell away too as they tried to rush the end leaving huge plot holes.

my main challenges are;

The walkers - who were ultimately pointless they could have explained a lot more of who they were and why were attacking. They also wasted all of the azor ahai/ the Prince that was promised prophecy. None of the characters were really in danger in the final fight and it was all so anticlimactic.

jamie Lannister’s redemption arc being destroyed on a whim by him going back to Cersei (all that volanqhuar prophecy pointless for her too).

dany going mad could have made sense if they had taken the time for it but she seemingly just switched. Jon essentially got away with what he did with no real consequences. 

bran being king also doesn’t solve much as he can’t have heirs so all they have done is set up a war of succession later. The north being independent again causes more problems than it solves.

There’s loads of others (battle tactics, unending supply of troops). One or two you can forgive but combined they are a cluster fuck.

I still love first 6 series but the end does put me off a full rewatch.

It did go shit but it doesn't stop me enjoying the show's individual series and episodes. I can watch the third season and think it's incredible and not be thinking "Yeah but the last series!". Star trek the next generation and deep space nine had horrendous first seasons, enterprise had a terrible ending, but I can still watch them and think they're great shows, same with the first few seasons of line of duty.

A lot of people put all their enjoyment eggs in the "pay off", rather than just enjoying scintillating dialogue and incredible production values where they can. 

I wouldn't say that it's just that there have been poorer shows either, I think in terms of production and budget there's never been a show like it, it even puts most films in the shade.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It did go shit but it doesn't stop me enjoying the show's individual series and episodes. I can watch the third season and think it's incredible and not be thinking "Yeah but the last series!". Star trek the next generation and deep space nine had horrendous first seasons, enterprise had a terrible ending, but I can still watch them and think they're great shows, same with the first few seasons of line of duty.

A lot of people put all their enjoyment eggs in the "pay off", rather than just enjoying scintillating dialogue and incredible production values where they can. 

I wouldn't say that it's just that there have been poorer shows either, I think in terms of production and budget there's never been a show like it, it even puts most films in the shade.

That’s a fair point, I guess with TNG and DS9 the slog of that first season is worth it because the later seasons are so good. It’s easier to endure when you know things get better. I’d watch the odd episode of GOT again for sure but a full re-watch would be difficult knowing how it turns out.

GOT hyped itself so much that we all expected it to be amazing and the first 6 series were just that. It’s some fall from grace that it basically killed itself.

the prequel series might actually have a chance at redemption as the world

created is great hopefully they do it justice.

I really enjoyed this below and thought what's suggested - from my own perspective at least - would have made the ending so much better, and given what had been such a fantastic series generally, the ending it really deserved.

33 minutes ago, the chimp said:

I really enjoyed this below and thought what's suggested - from my own perspective at least - would have made the ending so much better, and given what had been such a fantastic series generally, the ending it really deserved.

2 hours! Any chance of a TLDR?

Just now, Kevin D said:

Season 4 was great, but also a mistake. Killing Joffrey, Oberyn and Tywin all within 7 episodes and banishing Tyrion and Arya at the same time; the quality was never the same after that.

All that made unbelievable TV though, so was kind of worth it.

51 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think Tyrion was a much more muted character after he left Kings Landing , after being by far the best character before that.

Well he had just killed his dad, was wanted for murder of the Joffrey and hated by many. Understandably he was a little muted. season 4 was immense though some of the best TV I’ve seen.

37 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Well he had just killed his dad, was wanted for murder of the Joffrey and hated by many. Understandably he was a little muted. season 4 was immense though some of the best TV I’ve seen.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

I don't think he shagged anybody after the Tywin death , he barely went an episode before that.

• 1 year later...