You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Slag off Benioff and Weiss by all means but it seems a bit churlish not to acknowledge that they also created the show in the first place, and didn’t just lose their way as soon as they got further than the books. Like I say, some of the most celebrated episodes; ‘Hardhome, The door, Battle of the Bastards’ were created by them from scratch.

They can do battles scenes, it's the nuance that people are complaining they lack.

Don't understand why people are saying Daenerys has had a personality change.  She has always had two sides to her character although Nice Dany was usually on top.  

Perfectly happy to watch her brother get a golden crown, to burn the witch, to lock that big guy in his own safe, to crucify the Masters, to burn the Tarlys etc and she'd been itching to set her dragons on King's Landing ever since she crossed the sea.

I thought the the last episode was pretty good although I agree that the loose ends are being tied off too quickly.  

There's a world of difference between adapting existing material for TV (even if it involves adding the odd original scene or changing a few details) and having to create an entire third of the story yourself from scratch.

Prior to this the biggest writing gig either of them had ever held was Wolverine Origins, which is widely considered the worst X-Men movie and one of the worst super hero films ever made. That's the level of writing we're getting now. We've gone from an acclaimed novelist to a pair of unacclaimed Hollywood screenwriters and it shows.

They can still produce some big budget, visually spectacular action scenes but the writing, world building and character development has gone to complete shit.

• Upvote 3

It just feels so different to me. I’m not a movie or TV buff so I don’t feel as though i’m in a position to offer an accurate opinion as to why that is. As a viewer though it just feels very different, and not in a good way.

It’s a real shame.

They’ve written plenty of decent stuff since they got past the books. Some plot lines in the books finished in seasons four and five, some stuff like virtually everything with the Night King and White walkers are not in the books at all.

For me the decision - for whatever reason - to end it in 13 episodes always meant there would be a necessity to give less time to elaborate plots and more time to action scenes as they wrapped it up.

I agree with Brownie, it feels different because it is, I just don’t think they had much choice but to go out all guns blazing and make a spectacle of it once they’d boxed themselves in with just 13 episodes to close it.

As much as I agree with most of the criticism, I was watching completely agog and shocked during it all - maybe even red wedding levels of shocked. Someone at work today had to point out to me that Jaime and Cersei are dead - I thought they were just trapped! Still quite a lot of loose ends to tie up in the last episode, however they end it, you can guarantee a lot of people won't be happy!

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When the mountain took his helmet off they missed a huge trick not having the Hound say "By god you're an ugly cunt" 

Think he said something similar in the previous season

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’ve never like Euron. All the other characters coming from the Iron Islands like Yara are grim, serious people then he shows up like a camp Errol Flynn. Not a fan.

Yeah he was a bit of a caricature, he had a couple funny moments but absolutely nowhere near as brilliant baddies as Ramsay and Joffrey. Probably another character that could have done with more episode time devoted to him, which is particularly galling considering the deeply dull Brann and Cryptic many faced thundercunt storylines.

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I read an article the other day explaining what Euron is like in the books. He sounds like a boss character but he’s a gimp in the show. 

I might try the books again. I got the first one from the library last year but it was tough going, just couldn’t get into it. 

Try the audiobooks which are boss. Couple of my mates couldn’t get into the books but loved the audiobooks.

• Upvote 1

My prediction for the last scene of the last episode?

A raven will be stood on a window ledge looking into a room that has either just seen a load of big characters killed or someone being proclaimed King/Queen on the Iron Throne.

Then it will fly off.

The End     

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The mountain reminded me of darth Vader a similar helmet and then when he took it off a similar fat pasty bald white head.

For a fleeting moment I thought the whole thing had gone completely haywire off the scale and that the Mountain was in fact the dragon burnt Varys.

Image result for the mountain unmasked

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

My prediction for the last scene of the last episode?

A raven will be stood on a window ledge looking into a room that has either just seen a load of big characters killed or someone being proclaimed King/Queen on the Iron Throne.

Then it will fly off.

The End     

A bit like the crow at the end of Sons of Anarchy? Jax Teller is the rightful heir to the throne? Scenes if true.