You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I do sometimes wonder, judging from their comments, if people actually watched the show before. They clearly don't have a clue what's going on. Some of the criticisms are hilarious. Dany's madness never mentioned before! No idea why Euron had an issue with Jaime. Fucking hell. You deserve to hate it. 

I re-watched some of Season 2 this week.

The quote about the gods tossing a coin when a Targeryean is born was mentioned by Cersei to Tyrion.

On the other hand, at Blackwater Davos says, 'I've never heard bells mean surrender' - in fact the bells are ringing to warn everyone that Stanis has arrived. 

There has been a lot of foreshadowing of Dany going that way as a possibility. I think my beef with it is that her arc seems to have been of someone desperate to escape the mistakes of the past and to remake a better world on her terms - her decisions to do that had always served her well, at least before she got to Westeros. Arguably, her  going against her instincts since she arrived in Westeros has led to her losing two of her dragons and her most trusted advisors as well as being betrayed by those close to her, so you can see why she might want to do things her way. There are still problems though. First, she doesn't seem to be very conflicted about the path she is now on. Second, she could have just wiped out Cersei and the Lannister armies after the bells had been rung; she gains very little but 'fear' from wiping out half of the city - a fear she'd have had anyway. I don't think it can  be writtenoff as 'madness' when she is making decisions that are reasoned out. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Why on Earth would you search for leaks! 

I didn't search, they're readily available. In fact, they're not always easy to avoid on Twitter. I looked because I hardly care what happens now. I hardly care about any of the characters. Its cinematography has been awesome and I loved the final scene of the Night King etc, but the writing has gone to shit!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

In fairness you where the one who posted he hates it. Implying you know for a fact he does but can't show anything to prove that.  

You want a direct quote that he hates it? Do you live in a fantasy land? He's never said anything positive about this season. If that's not proof enough, I don't know what to tell you.

Recently he's gone out of his way to praise some random show about medieval times, but he's not going to make a positive comment about the final season of the show he helped produce in the past? Just lol at anyone who can't see he's disappointed. It's head in the sand stuff like people trying to convince themselves this season has made any kind of sense.

31 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I didn't search, they're readily available. In fact, they're not always easy to avoid on Twitter. I looked because I hardly care what happens now. I hardly care about any of the characters. Its cinematography has been awesome and I loved the final scene of the Night King etc, but the writing has gone to shit!

Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of people talk about the writing. I’m just shocked at how many screenwriters there are in the GoT fan base. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of people talk about the writing. I’m just shocked at how many screenwriters there are in the GoT fan base. 

Oh come on! You don't need to be a professional sportsman to have an opinion on sport! You don't have to a professional chef to have an opinion on a meal!

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You want a direct quote that he hates it? Do you live in a fantasy land? He's never said anything positive about this season. If that's not proof enough, I don't know what to tell you.

Recently he's gone out of his way to praise some random show about medieval times, but he's not going to make a positive comment about the final season of the show he helped produce in the past? Just lol at anyone who can't see he's disappointed. It's head in the sand stuff like people trying to convince themselves this season has made any kind of sense.

You made it up, 3 Stacks. Yet you want to be hobby about it. Just back down and say it’s your view that he hates it and that it’s based on nothing but your suspicion. Admit you’ve not seen the recent interviews with him saying how, whilst he wanted it to be longer, he understands it involves a huge cast that don’t want to be tied down forever and that he is working with HBO (you know, the ones who have allowed GoT to turn into something he HATES) on five other projects in the universe. 

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Oh come on! You don't need to be a professional sportsman to have an opinion on sport! You don't have to a professional chef to have an opinion on a meal!

No, but you do have to have an idea on writing to critique writing. I was being flippant, admittedly, but people are criticising it based off of them not paying attention. You just have to look at the Boss’ post and the other post about foreshadowing to know people are just repeating stuff they’ve heard elsewhere without either thinking about it or maybe even without watching the show earlier on. It's the same for some of the other episodes. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, but you do have to have an idea on writing to critique writing. I was being flippant, admittedly, but people are criticising it based off of them not paying attention. You just have to look at the Boss’ post and the other post about foreshadowing to know people are just repeating stuff they’ve heard elsewhere. 

Yeah, I agree that those suggesting this version of Dani appeared like an apparition, are wide of the mark. I also think some other criticisms are not really valid, but I think there's been a definite drop off in quality. It seems like they just got carried away with amazing CGI and forgot all about the things that made the show so popular in the first place.  I'm certainly not speaking as someone who has the first idea of how to write, but I can tell you that this all just feels wrong, and as writing is supposed to illicit feelings, that is what I am going with.

It’s probably not true NV, and please don’t take it in the wrong way, but you are coming across a bit fan-boyish to be honest.

The general consensus from people i’ve spoken to (who love the show) is that this season has been massively disappointing. People might be repeating stuff they’ve heard elsewhere but if they don’t like it, they don’t like it.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Yeah, I agree that those suggesting this version of Dani appeared like an apparition, are wide of the mark. I also think some other criticisms are not really valid, but I think there's been a definite drop off in quality. It seems like they just got carried away with amazing CGI and forgot all about the things that made the show so popular in the first place.  I'm certainly not speaking as someone who has the first idea of how to write, but I can tell you that this all just feels wrong, and as writing is supposed to illicit feelings, that is what I am going with.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I've got no issue with some people not liking it. Some parts do, to me, feel rushed. I would have preferred a 9th season, maybe a 10th. They could have really done with the extra time to make each thing its own season. But, like GRRM was saying in a recent interview where he didn't profess his hatred for it, he understands why they have to wrap it up. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brownie said:

It’s probably not true NV, and please don’t take it in the wrong way, but you are coming across a bit fan-boyish to be honest.

The general consensus from people i’ve spoken to (who love the show) is that this season has been massively disappointing. People might be repeating stuff they’ve heard elsewhere but if they don’t like it, they don’t like it.

I don't mind if they don't like it, I mind people saying stuff that's ridiculous and wrong. I'm just pointing it out. I think the ones throwing the toys out are generally fanboys. Proper GoT types who watch the critique videos from those who get clicks from sharing negative views. I'll admit, I've not adapted very well to the social media, shared opinion bollocks. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I do sometimes wonder, judging from their comments, if people actually watched the show before. They clearly don't have a clue what's going on. Some of the criticisms are hilarious. Dany's madness never mentioned before! No idea why Euron had an issue with Jaime. Fucking hell. You deserve to hate it. 

Sorry, can you explain it to me then? From what I remember, they’ve only had a handful of scenes together. The one where Cersei tells him to earn a Queen, where he asks Jamie is she likes a finger up the bum, where Jon showed the dead fo Cersei and that about it.

I fully get Jamie wanting to get Euron, I don’t fully get the other way round. If it is that he just wanted to be the one to kill Jamie, then that is pretty weak.

Just because I didn’t like the last episode, just deserve that type of shitty response. I didn’t like it because it’s not how I wanted it to end up. Each to their own and all that but that’s my opinion. 

I agree with you that those who think Daenerys has just all of a sudden gone mad haven’t been paying close enough attention. 

I know it was foreshadowed that a coin is flipped when a Targaryen is born. I know Daenerys begged Jon to keep the fact he was a Targaryen to himself and because he spoke to Sansa and Arya that caused this inevitable chain of events to happen. I'm fully aware that she feels that the people of Westeros will not accept her, and that Varys's betrayal is a microcosm of what's to come. 

The problem i have is how they've gone from A to B. Take Tyrion and Tywin for instance. The show built that up piece by piece until Tywin's inevitable demise. Each beat felt like a natural progression. You understood why Tyrion did what he did. It was perfectly paced and entirely logical by the time it transpired.

We've gone from Daenerys acting like a hero, fighting the Night King to save Westeros, to her becoming an Emo teenager after Missandei's death, to now becoming the Mad King in what, 2-3 episodes? It's just poorly written and rushed.

• Upvote 1

Dany has always been shown to be sitting on the moral fence. It was built up long in advance that she was capable of going off the rails. Ideally it would have been a more gradual slide into utter madness but it is definitely there to see.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Sorry, can you explain it to me then? From what I remember, they’ve only had a handful of scenes together. The one where Cersei tells him to earn a Queen, where he asks Jamie is she likes a finger up the bum, where Jon showed the dead fo Cersei and that about it.

I fully get Jamie wanting to get Euron, I don’t fully get the other way round. If it is that he just wanted to be the one to kill Jamie, then that is pretty weak.

Just because I didn’t like the last episode, just deserve that type of shitty response. I didn’t like it because it’s not how I wanted it to end up. Each to their own and all that but that’s my opinion. 

I agree with you that those who think Daenerys has just all of a sudden gone mad haven’t been paying close enough attention. 

Jamie was a threat to Euron being King, with Jamie around he’d always be second fiddle. And Euron thought he had the upper hand in thinking he had given Cersai a child and a future King. 

I don't mind where they've gone with it, its more how they've done it that's the problem. It's all too rushed and pretty much every criticism of the show can go back to this overarching point. The Dany stuff makes sense, but the pacing was way off and it didn't feel natural. Similar with Jaime's arc. With more time, I'm sure it would have turned out a lot better.

The writers just don't give a fuck and want shot of it, which is shame. They have written some really good original content in the past (Tywin/Arya, Brienne/Hound come to mind) so it's not as if they are not capable. It's clear as day that they mentally checked out a while back and are more focused on Star wars now.

Overall I enjoyed that, but there were a few flaws in there, not least the ease with which the crossbows got taken down.

A bit disappointed that Cerci didn’t get taken down in a nasty fashion.

And now Dany has gone full mad king, I look forward to her getting Faceless Man’d by Arya.

Tyrion will deffo be sitting on the Iron Throne at the end. With Sansa.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Overall I enjoyed that, but there were a few flaws in there, not least the ease with which the crossbows got taken down.

A bit disappointed that Cerci didn’t get taken down in a nasty fashion.

And now Dany has gone full mad king, I look forward to her getting Faceless Man’d by Arya.

Tyrion will deffo be sitting on the Iron Throne at the end. With Sansa.

Or Arya.  As Dany.