You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Have you read them though mate? I've not seen him interviewed, but they are very good, if a little long-winded at times which is my only criticism.

Was thinking of getting the books (the original, not the adaptations from the series thats if they've attempted that money spinner). Am I wasting my time?

Nah pal I'll probably give them a go, seems like a big undertaking though!

You'll get through them in no time. They're pretty compelling and the prose is fairly light so you bomb through the pages. The only bad thing about them is that you have to stop because he hasn't fucking finished them yet.

I have the kindle editions, which were great, but I had to go online if I needed the map to remind myself where eveything is.

I watched S1 last year and enjoyed it but didn't follow it up really, reading the books and just started a Feast for Crows and started the first season again now knowing what I do. Enjoying it more then last team to be honest and watching it with my bird and her ma who is staying over they both enjoyed it too but fuck me, there's so much doggy.

GoT: all doggy, all the time.

I didn't expect all that much from the first episode. They needed to set the scene for all the impending madness.

This isn't season one episode one though, it's season three episode one and the first episode felt like filler. Didn't go anywhere (ironically since most of it was about the various characters going somewhere) and generally plodded along.

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the additional 15 minutes.

This isn't season one episode one though, it's season three episode one and the first episode felt like filler. Didn't go anywhere (ironically since most of it was about the various characters going somewhere) and generally plodded along.

Makes you wonder why they bothered with the additional 15 minutes.

Yes but I think they needed to treat this episode as groundwork for the rest of the season. My point was that while I agree with you in that the episode was somewhat lacklustre, I do think the season as a whole will be much better.

Very true, in fact I can't recall anything of importance from last nights show.

Really?

Tyrion and Twyin laid their cards on the table.

Davos is alive and Mellisandre's religion is taking hold

Margaery is charming Kings Landing in a way the Lannisters can't

Daenerys is buying an army

Ser Barristan is reintroduced in Daenerys' storyline

and we meet Mance Rayder, the king of the Wildlings.

These are all pretty vital moments for the series.

There were big disappointments (the fist of the first men part was weak and the Sansa - and Robb's to a degree - bit was pointless, setting the scene with Arya or Bran would have been better) but the episode reestablished the state of affairs quite well overall. I guess they didn't want to make it too Stark-focussed since they aren't as dominant in proceedings from here on. But if that were the case they could have cut the Robb part and had a bit with Jaime and Brienne instead.

Really?

Tyrion and Twyin laid their cards on the table.

Davos is alive and Mellisandre's religion is taking hold

Margaery is charming Kings Landing in a way the Lannisters can't

Daenerys is buying an army

Ser Barristan is reintroduced in Daenerys' storyline

and we meet Mance Rayder, the king of the Wildlings.

These are all pretty vital moments for the series.

There were big disappointments (the fist of the first men part was weak and the Sansa - and Robb's to a degree - bit was pointless, setting the scene with Arya or Bran would have been better) but the episode reestablished the state of affairs quite well overall. I guess they didn't want to make it too Stark-focussed since they aren't as dominant in proceedings from here on. But if that were the case they could have cut the Robb part and had a bit with Jaime and Brienne instead.

And if you add up all those moments how much of the extended 1st episode do they actually take up. Tyrion and Twyin is what 3 or four minutes, Daenerys buying an army another 2 or 3, Ser Barristan a minute at the end, Mance Rayder 30 seconds?

All the extra 15 minutes seems to have achieved was letting them cram two extra add breaks in.

I neither know nor care, watched it ad-free. Didn't notice it was any longer than normal so you're probably right, but then Sky probably paid through the nose to keep it off Lovefilm or Netflix, that's going to come from somewhere.

Each of those scenes were decent length, the Rayder part including setup (scene with the camp and giant etc) was a good few minutes.

What extra 15 minutes you on about here, Cardie?

Run Time on Sky was 9pm - 10:15pm. That doesn't really translate to 15 minutes of extra program because their are so many fucking adverts it's unreal.

Thinking back though didn't it usually come in at 65-70 Total run time and 55 odd minutes of actual program?

Either way it was a pointless waste of a season premiere.