You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Guest Pistonbroke
Yep, that's right.

But I sincerely recommend you buy and read the first two books before the third.

If you try to jump straight into the third book without reading the first two, you won't have a fucking clue what's going on.

From what I've read of this thread, the books are quite a bit different to the TV series...

I did things the opposite way around by watching series 1 and then reading the book and i have to say although the TV adaptation is awesome the book is far better in both intensity and depth. Before series 2 i made sure i read the book beforehand.

I did things the opposite way around by watching series 1 and then reading the book and i have to say although the TV adaptation is awesome the book is far better in both intensity and depth. Before series 2 i made sure i read the book beforehand.

I haven't seen either of the TV series - want to, but don't have Sky and simply haven't found the time to watch it online - but there's no way they could ever cover everything that happens in the books.

Guest Pistonbroke
I haven't seen either of the TV series - want to, but don't have Sky and simply haven't found the time to watch it online - but there's no way they could ever cover everything that happens in the books.

They do a good job but it would be impossible to cover everything which is why reading the books is a must. They also change a few names so as the tv audience don't get confused by the similarity and quite a few scenes have been changed to what actually happens in the books.

Why don't you download both and watch them as and when you have time mate? The site which i used (link is earlier in thread by Suga Ape, or i could PM you it) is very good and easy to use.

Guest Pistonbroke
Anyone think the next book will be spread over 2 seasons...so much happens

I mentioned this a bit earlier mate, series three is covering the first half of "A storm of Swords" and obviously series 4 the second half. I'm hoping that they will do both in the same year rather than have to wait so long. They are planning to make a series of all the novels, or at least they were saying they have planned 6 series, i'll be near on retired by the time they finish it if ineed they plan to do just one series every spring!

They do a good job but it would be impossible to cover everything which is why reading the books is a must. They also change a few names so as the tv audience don't get confused by the similarity and quite a few scenes have been changed to what actually happens in the books.

Why don't you download both and watch them as and when you have time mate? The site which i used (link is earlier in thread by Suga Ape, or i could PM you it) is very good and easy to use.

I keep meaning to. Will do it when I get back from hols...

I mentioned this a bit earlier mate, series three is covering the first half of "A storm of Swords" and obviously series 4 the second half. I'm hoping that they will do both in the same year rather than have to wait so long. They are planning to make a series of all the novels, or at least they were saying they have planned 6 series, i'll be near on retired by the time they finish it if ineed they plan to do just one series every spring!

Cheers

Just finished the last book, and its about as far away from a conclusion as it could be. It's not retirement you need to worry about.

Government cut backs. Some things never fuckin change.

At least westeros had a valid reason. They had to fund Robert's whoring, drinking and maintenance of his litter of bastards. If you have to have cutbacks then you may as well do it because of fun shit.

As I've said before in this thread, while I know he's not afraid of killing off major characters, I was a bit gobsmacked at the conclusion of the last book.

Having spent so long developing that character's storyline, and given how integral that character is to that part of the story's whole plot arc, to kill them was very surprising.

I'm not sure where it goes from here...

Assuming, of course, that they're dead.

Oh, and one other thing - where the fuckity fuck is Rickon? I don't think there's been mention of him for about three books!

Guest Pistonbroke
Just finished the last book, and its about as far away from a conclusion as it could be. It's not retirement you need to worry about.

It wasn't planned as the last book though, he always said he was going to write another two mate. If interest in the TV series doesn't drop then i can foresee Martin planning more books to the series. I just hope he doesn't leave us hanging on to make our own minds up, i prefer a conclusion to a story.

As I've said before in this thread, while I know he's not afraid of killing off major characters, I was a bit gobsmacked at the conclusion of the last book.

Having spent so long developing that character's storyline, and given how integral that character is to that part of the story's whole plot arc, to kill them was very surprising.

I'm not sure where it goes from here...

Assuming, of course, that they're dead.

Oh, and one other thing - where the fuckity fuck is Rickon? I don't think there's been mention of him for about three books!

I get a little annoyed at how he does that in the book. Basically builds up a story, builds up a huge arc and makes you think that something huge is going to happen and you get invested in the journey. Then BAM dead. Granted in this story dead isnt necessarily dead, I'm still expecting Eddard to pop up without a head somewhere

Rickon is on some island somewhere from what I remember.

Edited by Monkeywool

Guest Pistonbroke

The books were always going to take a twist into the darker side with more magic and sorcery, i wouldn't bet against Eddard stark or others returning at some point .

If you're talking about the chilling end to Dance of Dragons, there's no way he is dead. NO WAY.

I reckon he's actually going to be the reborn God fella that the red bitch keeps telling Stannis he is.

If you're talking about the chilling end to Dance of Dragons, there's no way he is dead. NO WAY.

I reckon he's actually going to be the reborn God fella that the red bitch keeps telling Stannis he is.

I reckon he'll be him as well. Azor Ahai. I love reading about the history of Westeros, just hope Martin doesn't croak before he finishes the books. And Rickon is rumored to be on Skagos isn't he? Land of cannibals and unicorns.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The War for the Dawn was a major conflict in the history of Westeros, although it happened such a vast period of time ago that it is held to be little more than myth now.

Approximately eight thousand years before Aegon's Landing, in the midst of a great winter that lasted for years, a terrible darkness fell across Westeros and the east. The Long Night lasted a generation and laid waste to much of the world through famine and terror. In the midst of this darkness a race of apparent demons emerged from the uttermost north, wielding razor-thin swords of ice and raising the dead to fight the living. The children of the forest and their allies, the First Men, fought valiantly against them, but were driven southwards by their advance. The 'Others', as these demons were called, were eventually checked when it was discovered that weapons made of dragonglass (obsidian) could kill them. A great hero, who in the eastern tradition is known as Azor Ahai, led the war against the Others wielding his sword of fire, Lightbringer. Eventually the Others were driven back into the Lands of Always Winter. Brandon Stark, known as Bran the Builder, raised a great Wall of ice, gravel and magic, stretching one hundred leagues from the Gorge to the Shivering Sea to prevent the Others coming again. Brandon Stark was declared the First King in the North. The fortress of Winterfell (and possibly Storm's End in the south) was built at this time, and the Night's Watch founded to maintain a watch on the Wall. A later prophecy claimed that the Others would return and Azor Ahai, the Prince that was Promised, would be reborn to lead the fight against them.

I'm about half way through 'A Feast For Crows' now, I must say I'm finding it hard work. It's not a patch on the earlier books imho.

I'm thinking it's worth persevering because hopefully the last three will be better than this.

Does anyone else whos read the books agree? Or is it just me?

Oh and I was wondering, does the TV series follow 1 series = 1 book? If so, then the series for this book is going to be boring.

I'm about half way through 'A Feast For Crows' now, I must say I'm finding it hard work. It's not a patch on the earlier books imho.

I'm thinking it's worth persevering because hopefully the last three will be better than this.

Oh and I was wondering, does the TV series follow 1 series = 1 book? If so, then the series for this book is going to be boring.

It's not just you. It is a slog at times, but there's enough in it to persevere with. Ditto Dance With Dragons.

It wasn't planned as the last book though, he always said he was going to write another two mate. If interest in the TV series doesn't drop then i can foresee Martin planning more books to the series. I just hope he doesn't leave us hanging on to make our own minds up, i prefer a conclusion to a story.

I know he was, I just hope he doesn't limit it to just two more, I don't think he could finish it in two.

It's not just you. It is a slog at times, but there's enough in it to persevere with. Ditto Dance With Dragons.

Not just you. I watched series 1 on TV then couldn't wait so started reading the books in between series 1 and 2 just finished. I found after reading book 1 that the TV adaptation was pretty faithful, almost script perfect. Since book 2 however he just keeps adding characters and the whole story has mushroomed. It's impossible for the TV series to keep up.

Silverlining said earlier that he had trouble keeping up with series 2 and he had read the books! I know what he means. How people just watching the TV can keep up as characters appear with barely an introduction!

Another thing is, A Feast For Crows and Dance with Dragons are chronologically running at the same time. There is so much going on. Obviously the TV series will have to amalgamate both these books into 2 series, if you know what I mean.

It took until the midway point of Season 2 for me to keep up with the names. Locations - particularly Rob's military campaign against Tywin - and magic are the only things I've had trouble following, but it's not really hampered my enjoyment of the show.

Guest Pistonbroke
I know he was, I just hope he doesn't limit it to just two more, I don't think he could finish it in two.

I have a feeling he will spin it out over at least 9 novels.

Guest Pistonbroke
I hope not. Look what happened to poor old Robert Jordan and the (interminable) Wheel Of Time

Although I gave up reading that well before he karked it. Thankfully

He is only in his early 60's...but you never know. A wise move would be to wrap it up in 7 novels and then move onto a spin off.