You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

For those of you who are unaware are new epic fantasy series (please don't be put off by the word 'fantasy' it is do deep and gritty) is being premiered on the 17th of August and will be aired on the 18th in the UK on Sky Atlantic (I think).

The series is based upon George RR Martins series a Song of Ice and Fire. It is currently on the 5th book of the series. It is not a black and white story. Each character has multiple layers and whenever you think you have them pegged they will truly and utterly shock you.

I would say to read the books before watching the series (as it is so complicated) but you'll probably not have the time before the series begins.

If anyone is interested you can see the first 15 minutes of the first episode here:

Watch the First 15 Minutes of HBO’s Violent and Gory ‘Game of Thrones’ - Nerd Reactor

I hope you enjoy.

In my opinion the best series of books I have ever read and again imo 20x better than the world created by Tolkien.

For those of you who are unaware are new epic fantasy series (please don't be put off by the word 'fantasy' it is do deep and gritty) is being premiered on the 17th of August and will be aired on the 18th in the UK on Sky Atlantic (I think).

The series is based upon George RR Martins series a Song of Ice and Fire. It is currently on the 5th book of the series. It is not a black and white story. Each character has multiple layers and whenever you think you have them pegged they will truly and utterly shock you.

I would say to read the books before watching the series (as it is so complicated) but you'll probably not have the time before the series begins.

If anyone is interested you can see the first 15 minutes of the first episode here:

Watch the First 15 Minutes of HBO’s Violent and Gory ‘Game of Thrones’ - Nerd Reactor

I hope you enjoy.

In my opinion the best series of books I have ever read and again imo 20x better than the world created by Tolkien.

I'm looking forward to this and I'm always up for deep, complex and layered fantasy fiction, but I'm not as big a fan as you are - for me, the world created by Tolkien is the benchmark for the genre. Worlds, civilisations, emotion-filled stories, even languages. Middle Earth was his life - that is dedication.

Nothing in the genre even comes close to being as good as the work of Tolkien for me. Not to take anything from this of course (and Boromir is also in it - Brilliant!) i'm looking forward to it, like everything that HBO have produced. So i'm really looking forward to it, and from that first 15 I don't think I will be disappointed. Ta for the link!

Two problems with this show

1) it's far from epic fantasy, that would involve portman, kunis and cuthbert doing stuff that the adult channel would think twice about showing.

2) they've been showing trailers for it and it's not on until fucking august! Should be a ban on any adverts for tv shows until 2-3 weeks before they start.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was weak. It felt really forced. The characters were all quite two dimensional and it felt like they shoehorned as much back story into the dialogue as possible. It also felt like they went out of their way to be as gratuitous as possible. In just that one episode, there was incest, child murder, rape, sodomy, multiple tits shots for no particular plot reason.. I mean don't get me wrong, I love programs with lots of norks in it, but I also quite like programs to be well put together.

It was basically Spartacus: Blood and Sand, but taking itself much more seriously.

It was beautifully shot though.

I've only read the first book in the series, and that was 10 to 15 years ago. But I do remember really enjoying it, and it was the first "fantasy" type book I'd read for ages.

I've got the second one somehwere, but I think I'd probably have to re-read "A Game Of Thrones" first.

As for the series, well, I saw it last night and it was very impressive indeed.

I thought it was weak. It felt really forced. The characters were all quite two dimensional and it felt like they shoehorned as much back story into the dialogue as possible. It also felt like they went out of their way to be as gratuitous as possible. In just that one episode, there was incest, child murder, rape, sodomy, multiple tits shots for no particular plot reason.. I mean don't get me wrong, I love programs with lots of norks in it, but I also quite like programs to be well put together.

It was basically Spartacus: Blood and Sand, but taking itself much more seriously.

The child murder and incest and all that was in the book. It's fucking mercilessly bloodthirsty.

Not sure where you spotted sodomy, maybe I was making a cup of tea.

Do sort of agree about the gratuitous tits though. Seemed a bit pointless and not really necessary.

The child murder and incest and all that was in the book. It's fucking mercilessly bloodthirsty.

Not sure where you spotted sodomy, maybe I was making a cup of tea.

Was there a bit of bumming at the wedding , at least one of them must have tried sneaking it in.

Ps thanks for the spoiler I was looking forward to next week to see if that 10 year old survived being pushed of the top of a castle. Ruined it now.

Pps that big dude is gonna ruin that albino.

Was there a bit of bumming at the wedding , at least one of them must have tried sneaking it in.

Ps thanks for the spoiler I was looking forward to next week to see if that 10 year old survived being pushed of the top of a castle. Ruined it now.

Pps that big dude is gonna ruin that albino.

Don't think that was a real spoiler, I can't really remember if he survives to be honest. It was a looong time since I read it!

Although there's deffo some child murder in it; I seem to recall every type of killing and abuse and treachery and general wrongness going on

Don't think that was a real spoiler, I can't really remember if he survives to be honest. It was a looong time since I read it!

Although there's deffo some child murder in it; I seem to recall every type of killing and abuse and treachery and general wrongness going on

I'm joking about the spoiler, if he's not dead it's a cop out.

I have read the book, and it is brilliant, supposed to be five in the series but I think he has messed up and split on book, into two parts, and the latest has taken six years to write!

Not just bumming, incest and tits, but the Albino girl is 13 in the book! I take it that has been revised slightly for the television?

In the middle of the second book. Bloody good it is too, gonna give the TV show a miss until I've read the lot.

To be honest mate; as long as you have read the first book you may as well watch the series as you are not going to learn anything new.

I envy you having the rest of the books to read, can't wait for the new one to come out.

If its anything like Spartacus it will be imense. Sparicus has been my fav tv find of the last year.

A lot of people who haven't read the books have said the same. People who have read the books tend to say, hmmm, it would be difficult to do it better with only an hour. The problem is that in the books there are very rarely less than 2 or 3 major plots proceeding simultaneously and pretty much everyone that was introduced in that first episode is a major protagonist at some point or other.

It's a shame really because a lot of the subtlety is lost. For example in the books none of the sex/norkage is at all gratuitous. All of it relates to a major point plot point or a major part of a character's make up.

BTW This first episode was apparently re-shot after the rest was filmed because the initial cut didn't setup the rest of the series properly. The subsequent episodes apparently pay homage to the story rather than production requirements.

To be honest mate; as long as you have read the first book you may as well watch the series as you are not going to learn anything new.

I envy you having the rest of the books to read, can't wait for the new one to come out.

I have to thank Alvaro Arbeloa for putting me onto them, its been a great read so far. Like the way the books are set up every chapter for a different characters part in the story.