You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

12 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Because they wanted to bin off birth rights to rule. That's one of the reasons why they picked Bran.

Plus it would have started a war with the Unsullied. 

It makes no sense to me. All of them there would have wanted Jon to be King. He was the King in the North and the rightful heir. He killed the mad queen to save lives. So what if it meant they had to fight the Unsullied, this is Game of Thrones not local council elections.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, 16613 said:

Pop to Naath in 40 or so years and take it back, not like they can start a long lasting community there. 

They are going to need to encourage immigration for all the elderly care required, and of course to ekeep the economy going!

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

They are going to need to encourage immigration for all the elderly care required, and of course to ekeep the economy going!

Better if they find some addictive substances that will help to kill them off quicker, tax it to hell. 

7 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Plus Jon didn't want it anyway.

He’d have chosen to be King over being locked in a cell. He could have become King and Tyrion could then have told him his plan. He’d happily have passed it over to Bran then and gone back to Winterfell to be King in the North.

22 minutes ago, M_B said:

Very honest of John to admit his guilt when the dragon flew off with the evidence.

Ha ha ha.

Nevermind that. She was completely unguarded in the throne room after taking Kings Landing. Not even 1 fucking guard. Sounds legit.

Also her death was pretty much instant considering she didn't have her throat slit. WTF was that?

Even a little girl that can't count to 20 could have come up with a script better than that.

After watching for 8 years and at one point being quite invested in the world and its characters, the finale managed to evoke about as much emotion in me as reading the instruction sheet for the toilet seat I fitted on the weekend. Actually, probably less because I had a moment of panic on Sunday when I thought I was missing one of the plastic stoppers, whereas Game of Thrones just had me wondering how long was left and whether or not it was worth opening the packet biscuits in the cupboard (I didn't but the internal debate was more intense than anything happening onscreen).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dave u said:

It wasn't 'final season of Dexter' bad, but it was massively disappointing.

I've only seen the first two series of Dexter, can someone fill me in on what happens in the final 6 series, because there is no way I am investing in that if it's even worse than this finale!

Daenerys going mad I think was the correct way to take the story.  I think that’s the way it will go in the books.  It was just laughably badly handled.  I don’t understand why they needed to get it into 6 episodes.  I also don’t understand how they could come up with an ending of Bran being King.  It’s just so fucking boring and uninteresting.  He’s meant to be some sort of all seeing apathetic demigod.  His character needed to die or at least disappear.

Personally I think if he ever gets around to finishing the books Tyrion will be sitting on the throne in the end.

They’ve absolutely botched the last series and they will know it.

In the end it was a very tame and very safe finale. The whole final season was a series of missteps and the red flag became obvious when the Night King was dealt with in one battle. I didn't come away from last night's episode annoyed or down as I quite enjoyed seeing Bronn, Tormund and Ghost again but the way Danerys was dispatched with little immediate aftermath was very weak.

She was far from my favourite character but she was really poorly served by the writers in this season. You'd have needed far better foreshadowing, and much more focus on the heartbreak of losing Jorah (who she once banished), Rhaegal and Missandei than the series managed, to justify to her actions to destroy King's Landing and Jon's decision to kill her.

If we have to join too many dots ourselves then it's a fault of writing. In fact, in the final hour she's barely mentioned. Another forgotten tyrant, her entire arc was meant to be someone who was raped, abused, survived many near death scrapes, who conquered and freed people to ascend the throne and build a better world but at the last minute she was written like a Vince McMahon swerve just to swerve the fans.

Very few shows finish well (Mad Men probably is the leader in the clubhouse for the last decade) but two years wait and only six episodes to deliver a season that felt sloppy and rushed can only be labelled a disappointment. A rewatch in a year or two might be more favourable to it but I feel like if I rewatch it I'll stop on the cliffhanger of S7.

• Upvote 2

When all is said and done, Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regent of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons ended up another knife crime statistic.

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When all is said and done, Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regent of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons ended up another knife crime statistic.

Are you called Damien?

image.png

7 minutes ago, moof said:

I don’t care what else happened, Jon reuniting with ghost was the catharsis I needed after what was a pretty dark and depressing season. 

Ghost looked fucked. One ear missing, scratches. He was walking funny as well.