You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

So when all of the houses were having their little meeting to choose the King, why did nobody mention the fact that Jon was the rightful heir to the throne? Surely everyone would have to accept what he did to Dany because you know, he’s the fucking King?!

And why the fuck is there a Nights Watch any more? The White Walkers are gone and the wildlings are now mates with the North.

• Upvote 4

Excessively Meta with ‘Song of Ice and Fire’ and Tyrion’s speech Pee-emptying the critics on the penultimate episode - all that stuff about ‘we cheered when she killed the slavers’.

That speech was also resonant of David Chase’s rebuke to the Sopranos audience after the last episode for cheering Tony on his way as he murders his way through the series only wanting to see him get offed at the end.

Basically all Brandon Stark did was give his best mate brain damage, get pushed out of a window, get the three eyed raven and the children of the forest killed, and sit there like a simpleton until Arya took down the night king.

• Upvote 2

I thought the outcomes were all fine, they just rattled through to them too quickly along the way so didn’t land as well as they could.

It starts off as a Stark story and then they get battered all over the place. By the end it’s back around to them.

I don’t mind Bran as the keeper of wisdom and stories being made king after people have had enough of fighting over the throne. They should have just made better use of him dispensing wisdom and shit leading up to it.

Danaerys breaking bad is fine too, but it would have been better had she been goaded into it a bit more. Taken a few losses due to sneaky politicking and stuff or showing some flashbacks to her family being murdered, so she basically thought “fuck it”.

Jon Snow being a Targaryen was good. It showed that Ned Stark really was a man of honour. It allowed for some extra intrigue with him having a claim to the throne, and it also gave him reason to think about the insane in-bred offspring that might happen should he shack up with Dany.

Then he gives it all up to murder her and ends up going north where his first love was. Good.

Cersei and Jamie dying together, also good, and totally within character - they just didn’t build up the decisions to make it to that point. Would have worked better had Jamie started off in the attack on Kings Landing before then going to look for Cersei I reckon.

Tyrian ending up Hand of the King in King’s Landing, where he’d been happiest, good.  They just messed up his advising Danaerys storyline so that bit didn’t land so well either.

Anyway I could say more, but that’s a lot of words already.

In short, plot fine, execution left a little to be desired.

And why did none of the other houses ask for independence? 

Ideally John should have killed the white walker king, Arya should have met Jamie on the way to Cersei as he was mortally wounded and taken his face, then killed Cersei as him. There was no need to level kings landing, although fuck those southerners. 

Brann should be the kings thingy of whisperers, he may have the ability to be omnipotent but he doesn’t really help anyone just seems happy to know what’s happening and then be a dick saying he knew. 

The unsullied had no hesitation in killing people, they take no prisoners, unless it fits the writers for them to do so. Fucking awful way to finish off the masterpiece that came before it. 

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Basically all Brandon Stark did was give his best mate brain damage, get pushed out of a window, get the three eyed raven and the children of the forest killed, and sit there like a simpleton until Arya took down the night king.

He makes Stephen Hawking look like Action Man.

I'm going to go back and read everyone else's thoughts, but first I want to say - what a pile of fucking wank!

The whole series has felt like the writer knew where the story was going. Like a rich tapestry was being woven, taking us on in incredible journey to a preordained destination. Then it felt like they'd just handed it over to a six year old with some crayon and ADHD!

Now, everyone will blame the TV producers, but actually has RR Martin got the answers, or did he always intend to die on the toilet eating his 7th cheeseburger of the day before having to tie up all these loose ends?

I remember genuinely thinking that I hoped to live long enough to see the conclusion of the GOT story, but maybe there isn't one and never will be. Maybe it's all fur coat and no knickers?

I'm completely dissatisfied with it anyway! 

Sansa looked quite hot in that last one though to be fair. And Jon should have taken the opportunity to slip Denearys one over the iron throne before he ran her through. The scene with her dying and the dragon was pretty good to be fair and Tyrion is just fucking great isn't he. 

I did burst into a strange weird laugh when as we entered the last 10 minutes of the most watched and talked about series of all time ever in history, we had a midget adjusting chairs around a table. Then they started arguing about brass houses. Maybe that was its charm all along. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

So when all of the houses were having their little meeting to choose the King, why did nobody mention the fact that Jon was the rightful heir to the throne? Surely everyone would have to accept what he did to Dany because you know, he’s the fucking King?!

Because they wanted to bin off birth rights to rule. That's one of the reasons why they picked Bran.

Plus it would have started a war with the Unsullied. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Because they wanted to bin off birth rights to rule. That's one of the reasons why they picked Bran.

Plus it would have started a war with the Unsullied. 

Plus Jon didn't want it anyway.