You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

1 minute ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Well that's the end of a glorious TV series. Decent ending but The Shield's finale is still the greatest there is, and will never be surpassed by the looks of it.

I thought The Shield’s ending was shite. The best ending, by a mile, is Six Feet Under. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Wasnt as bad as I thought it was made out to be with the spoilers but can someone tell me what the fucking point was of Jon being a targaryen was? Story would have been more or less the same had they not brought that into it

I was wondering this myself earlier too but I came to the conclusion that by being a Targaryen it allowed him to get closer to Dany than anyone else. 

Then in the finale Drogan allowed him passage to go and see her at the throne, then after killing her didn’t end his life in return.

Other than those reasons I struggling though. 

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Wasnt as bad as I thought it was made out to be with the spoilers but can someone tell me what the fucking point was of Jon being a targaryen was? Story would have been more or less the same had they not brought that into it

Tweet George Martin. It was his idea.

19 minutes ago, Juniper said:

I was wondering this myself earlier too but I came to the conclusion that by being a Targaryen it allowed him to get closer to Dany than anyone else. 

Then in the finale Drogan allowed him passage to go and see her at the throne, then after killing her didn’t end his life in return.

Other than those reasons I struggling though. 

Eh? He was already close to her.

If anything, it did the opposite as he wasn't intererested in a sexual relationship with her after that and things were never the same between them.

As for Drogon, that was pretty crucial to that scene and his relationships with the dragons in general including being able to ride them of course.

My take on it was it was one of the reasons Dany felt so alone at the end and why she went mad like her old man.

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Tweet George Martin. It was his idea.

Well we dont know whether that was what he had planned for him in the end, I've no problem with the idea it just seemed a bit pointless in the end. Maybe it was just what's mentioned above but given the big reveal of it earlier in the series it wasnt much of a payoff to it.

I think Jon was supposed to kill the night king/end the war but they changed it to Arya because subversion is the theme of the times.

Reminded me a bit of The Last Jedi this last series where they done the unexpected for the sake of it. 

Grey Worm took Dany's demise rather well didn't he?

Grey Worm: Jon Snow put a knife in my Queen's heart. He MUST be punished!!

Tyrion: Hmm, how about we release him and allow him to ride off into obscurity back in the North like he always wanted, hang out with his bestie and his dog and live out his days away from all of this shite? And he defo won't be knee deep in Free Folk bush within months, we'll make him promise, because he's had to do that before and totally lived by it. 

Grey Worm: Sure, so long as I get to scowl at him from a boat during our final encounter. 

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Eh? He was already close to her.

Yeah but they bonded even more over riding bloody dragons together and Rhaegal accepting him.

Agree with most of your post, just my own take when trying to make sense of it all earlier. 

At first I wanted Joffrey on the Iron Throne. Then I wanted Ramsay The Bastard. Then the Night King.

Out of the hundreds of wonderful characters there were only 3 whom I absolutely loathed: Euron fucking Greyjoy, Sanza fucking miserable cunt, and Bran fucking Evel Knievel Stark.

Fuck my life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

I was on board with all of it until episode 5. I fundamentally don’t like how they ended it for Daenerys. 

I didn’t mind about the plot holes or “shit writing” or whatever as I was thoroughly entertained & excited by the spectical I was watching but the last 2 episodes have genuinely left me cold.

I’ll need to rewatch it all again at some point.

Bran playing the long game there. Having somebody in the hot seat who is calm, reasoned and is a seer was probably the sensible choice.

A very low key episode, but one that ended with optimism, hope, and a possibility of a spin off series, The Adventures Of Arya....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Bran playing the long game there. Having somebody in the hot seat who is calm, reasoned and is a seer was probably the sensible choice.

A very low key episode, but one that ended with optimism, hope, and a possibility of a spin off series, The Adventures Of Arya....

I hope she kills Trump.

That was an odd episode. Underwhelming, but only in terms of parts not feeling as momentous as they should have been.  A trial by combat between Grey Worm and Jon might have been better, could have brought out the grief in the characters.

Some elements I assume come from GRRM's outline, but would have been much better with 12-15 chapters from key perspectives to lead into it.  It felt like just bashing through the plot points in the most direct way.  Which isn't bad, necessarily, just a bit simplistic. After 8 seasons the lack of real catharsis makes it feels shallower than it probably is when all things are considered.

The Arya bit was the only bit that really left me cold, didn't make any sense to me.