You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

20 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Self-entitled youth of today, this is the attitude of kids of parents brought up on Bugsy Malone and high grade ecstasy.

Agreed mate I love your posts man, keep those fingers pumpin. 

57 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Bad writing, you say. 

He makes a good point about novelists though.  It's no coincidence that Star Trek Discovery hired a slew of novel writers for its writing staff, as is David Simon on The Wire. 

If you're trying to tell a story over a long period there's nobody better.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

He makes a good point about novelists though.  It's no coincidence that Star Trek Discovery hired a slew of novel writers for its writing staff, as is David Simon on The Wire. 

If you're trying to tell a story over a long period there's nobody better.

The 'bad writing' thing has been thrown at Star Trek Discovery more than GoT. Online critics rip it for its terrible writing. Then, like most GoT 'critics' (read 'fans copying shit they read on Twitter), they go on to complain about something that had nothing to do with writing quality, or most of the time just don't give any actual technical examples of the writing quality. 

They are... bad thinkers. 

I’m sad it’s all over tonight, but you can be damn sure it’ll go out with a bang.

I understand why people are not enthused over the story; I happen to think it’s been a fantastic, if pretty depressing and/or nihilistic, series. But I’m just gutted it’s all over and we don’t get to spend more time with these characters, letting the story breathe a bit. In fact, if I have a criticism, it’s just that they’ve been too keen to end it and move on. It’s a real shame 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

The 'bad writing' thing has been thrown at Star Trek Discovery more than GoT. Online critics rip it for its terrible writing. Then, like most GoT 'critics' (read 'fans copying shit they read on Twitter), they go on to complain about something that had nothing to do with writing quality, or most of the time just don't give any actual technical examples of the writing quality. 

From what you’re saying, everyone should love every show made, as they are not qualified to judge the standard of writing then?

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I can't speak for what is being said online, but in my view the writing has seriously slumped since season 4.

Season 4 was one of the best seasons of TV that I have ever seen, but the decision to kill both Joffrey and Tywin was a mistake. We needed them as our unifying villains. Joffrey as the chicken shit heel, and Tywin as our administrative "fuck this guy, but he's brilliant" genius.

Jon and Dany are both nice enough, but they don't have the depth, complexity and acting range of Tyrion and once Tyrion did the worst thing he ever did and had nobody to be to cruel to him and fight against its been a way less morally grey show. 

Also, once you've betrayed, or left the first person you were loyal to for 5-25+ years, any other switches loss their significance. Take Davos, for example. We know he's the nicest guy in the world and he was utterly devoted to Stannis. But if he betrays Jon tomorrow, what will that mean? Anything?

As much as it meant when, the mountain killed Prince Oberyn?

Just now, Kevin D said:

Do you remember when Stannis attacked at Blackwater?

I wanted him and Davos to prevail and at the exact same time, I wanted Tyrion to successfully defend the city.

First we ate the cats, never liked cats. Then we ate the dogs. Like dogs, very loyal.

" ...the boy Joffrey born of incest from Jaime Lannister"

"Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer, call him what he is"

" Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer..."

"Make it Ser Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer. Whatever he is, the man's still a knight."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

" ...the boy Joffrey born of incest from Jaime Lannister"

"Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer, call him what he is"

" Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer..."

"Make it Ser Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer. Whatever he is, the man's still a knight."

My beloved brother

I didn't love him, he didn't love me.

Taken from Facejizz. Long read but worth a look.

In the midst of the ongoing hatred, let's try and analyse the episode. Before we begin, here's the exchange between Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon. Ned Stark: You will dishonor yourself forever if you do this. Robert Baratheon: Honor?! I've got Seven Kingdoms to rule! One King, Seven Kingdoms! Do you think honor keeps them in line?! Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace?! IT'S FEAR! FEAR AND BLOOD!

I found many symbolism and parallels in this episode. Let's start with the name of this episode, The Bells. This name rings a bell (Yep) for those who knows thier history. Battle of the Bells was the decisive battle which shifted the odds in Robert's favor during his rebellion, many believe Battle of Trident to be the game changer, although it was, but Battle of the bells marked the beginning of the end for Targaryen Dynasty. How things came full circle. A Lannister sacked the city and ultimately ended the Targaryen Dynasty, now a Targaryen sacked the city and ended the Lannister Dynasty. Pycelle manipulated Aerys into opening the gates for Tywin Lannister, meaning the gates weren't breached but opened from the inside. Dany blew those same gates from the inside.

Why was Cersie's death both satisfactory and perfect.? I will answer that soon, but first let's talk about the elephant (Yep) in the room. The sack of Kingslanding. Was it premeditated? Nope. Not at all. When Tyrion told her about the bells, she genuinely wanted to go with that, that's what she ordered Greyworm to do. So what happened.? Bells happened. While she was on that rooftop waiting for the bells, she had every intention of leaving things at that, but when the bells began to rang she took a trip down the memory lane. (Hats off to Emilia Clarke for such an intense and incredible performance) Upon hearing those bells and staring at the red keep, she imagined the horror her family and her brother's family must have felt during the sack of Kingslanding, the terror in which Elia Martell was, the screams of little Rhaenys and baby Aegon who had no idea what was happening, then mountain came, crushed Aegon's head into a pulp, stabbed Rhaenys while Elia was watching and then raped her while the brain matter of her son was still on his hands, and then killed her as well. (This is why Cersie's death was so perfect, the horror Tywin inflicted upon Rhaegar's family came upon his own family, especially on those whom he favoured the most, the terror and horror in Cersie's eyes for her baby, as well as with Jamie was similar to what Elia and her kids went through).

After that Dany remembered everything that happened because of the rebellion, losing their home, begging on the streets, all those who died from Willem darry to Missandei, from silver to Rhaegal. And what did she get in return? Complete distrust and fear. So if they fear her despite doing the good, then yes, Let it be fear. She is not mad, what madness is for other people is a regular Monday for a Targaryen. I told this a few times before maybe others did as well, Cersie did turn the city into a trap, if Dany had accepted the surrender, she would have blown up the city with the wildfire caches that we saw exploding during the episode. Kingslanding was ground zero, and people chose to be in that place, they chose Cersie who hid behind a curtain during the Great war, while Dany literally fought the threat with her own hands. Also many who died in that fire were soldiers as well. She is a khaleesi and Dothraki follow those who can instill fear among their subject, a wise ruler should inspire a little fear, that's what Tyrion said. Take a look at the history and you will see what a weak and gullible ruler ends up having at his doorstep. Speaking about Greyworm, Dany had many loyal people with her, be it Jorah, Selmy, Naharis or Missandei. But Greyworm topped them all. Like I said, the sack wasn't premeditated, so as soon as Dany began her assault, Greyworm quickly followed without hesitating, that was quite a moment.

About Cersie and valonqar prophecy. "When your tears have drowned you,(she was crying profusely) the valonqar shall wrap his hands (Jamie was embracing her) about your pale white throat (what happens when you are terrified to your bone thinking about your imminent death, you do turn pale white) and choke the life from you.”(the ruble wouldn't have killed her instantly, it's possible she died a painful death gasping to breath). In S7 we had this conversation between Dany and Olenna. "Dany : I am not here to be queen of the ashes. Lady Olenna : I can't remember a queen who was better loved than my granddaughter . . . and what is left of her now? Ashes. Commoners, nobles, they're all just children, really. They won't obey you unless they fear you." It's not that Dany forgot what she said here like some memes are suggesting, she just chose not to take the overrated moral high ground, instead she chose to heed Olenna's realistic advice. Then we had this part. "Olenna: Peace never lasts, my dear. Will you take a bit of advice from an old woman? I've known a great many clever men. I've outlived them all. You know why? I ignored them. The lords of Westeros are sheep. Are you a sheep? No. You're a dragon. Be a dragon." She became a dragon soon after this with Field of Fire and Tarly's execution, but her mistake was that she again went back to the morally correct advices of Tyrion and Varys and Jon, that's what costed her the most. Someone else should have died instead of Olenna, things would have been better a long time ago. Better late than never, Dany finally accepted her dragon part. I will end this with one quick fact. During the onset of Robert's rebellion, Hoster Tully burned villages to the ground when they refused to betray the Targaryens.

2 hours ago, belarus said:

From what you’re saying, everyone should love every show made, as they are not qualified to judge the standard of writing then?

I wrote one great paper in University, so actually I can say it: the writing and story in season 8 has been fuckin shite.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I wrote one great paper in University, so actually I can say it: the writing and story in season 8 has been fuckin shite.  

The only time you ever got a mark as high as a C-.