You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

When people say "rushed" I think that's justified in the context of the 20 hours of screen time afforded to fucking Stannis. When Episodes 2-8 in Series 2-6 felt like wading through knee-high mud to get to the shocking bits. Some exceptions of course, but fuck me some of this show was a slog. And now they've paced it so poorly they're basically sorting everything out in 3 episodes rather than 2 series.

4 hours ago, cuppatea said:

They can still produce some big budget, visually spectacular action scenes but the writing, world building and character development has gone to complete shit.

Which is what almost everyone is saying but apparently even with the appreciation of the visuals it's still too much criticism.

1 hour ago, SilverSong said:

So at the start of the ep Varys was plotting to poison the Maddening Queen.

I did not get onto that.

Tbf you only had about five seconds to catch it. 

Another example of them just cramming shit in. 

Thrones has always been plagued by dickheads. Most people didn't read the books (myself included) and didn't watch it at first until it became trendy. They they started reading the books so they could be more trendy than ordinary trendy fans. 

Then they started bitching about the fact he hadn't finished it and might die, so he got pissed off and told the telly people to do what they wanted and now same wankers are moaning again. 

The best of thrones wasn't the dragons and magic stuff beloved of Krazy House type teenage wankers, it was the War of the Roses stuff and the little gems of scenes and dialogue like between Arya and Tywen. 

I'm still enjoying it and it is what it now is.

• Upvote 3

Its still a fantastic show but its hard to argue against the fact that its plots and story lines have sped up massively this season to bring it to a conclusion.

As you say, a lot of the brilliance was the dialogue, intelligence and wit in previous seasons- sadly lacking this season  

Been left disappointed by this season. The brevity of it coupled with it leaping into plot strands and character decisions because of said brevity is making it difficult to fully enjoy. That's not to say The Bells wasn't a wonderfully filmed episode with some great scenes but it's got to show it's working out a little bit more to justify character motivation and it hasn't been able to.

I've seen some online criticism of Arya deciding not to go after Cersei but I had no problem with that, though the reason why perhaps wasn't made crystal clear, and the Mountain vs. the Hound got some criticism and I kind of get that but I still liked it.

• Upvote 1

I think Arya had to give up on her list to show that she was bigger than it.  I reckon she'll be part of the 'sweet" ending as she gets together with Gendry once he gives up his lordship.  

I thought the Clegane fight was ok too. A bit difficult to live up to all the expectations. Nice touch for the Hound to force the Mountain into a fire. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Special K said:

6 seasons of character development and 2 seasons of payoff. I don't have a problem with that.

"Oh no, my personal theory didn't come to fruition. I'll blame bad writing"

Stop moaning

The problem is that all the theories were based on hints dropped in previous series, so to disregard those hints in order to do something unexpected is bad writing. They've turned interesting plot points into red herrings. 

“I’ve been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you’re halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can’t do that."

The writing is far too cheesy and has too many in jokes. They keep going on about Jon Snows height because Kit Harrington is small, or when Davos said to Gendry, I thought you still might be rowing! They are literally reacting to memes! I think the massive gaps between series 6 to 7 and 8 haven't helped either. 

I feel like there will be loads of unanswered questions too. Who is the Night King?  Why could dragonfire not kill him but a catspaw dagger could? The last episode has a lot to live up to. 

Do we not already know who the Night King is? One of the first men made by the children of the forest etc...

Don’t know why he’d have the power to raise the dead though when the children of the forest who created him don’t seem to have the same powers themselves.

I guess since it’s been 1000 years or whatever since he was last sighted and most people think him a fairytale then it makes sense not much is known about him.