You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

Not sure how you can say they rushed it when there was almost two years between season seven and the current one. Most people were moaning they’d taken too long if anything.

Clarification on 'rushed'. When I said it, I definitely didn't mean rushed the process. I mean they could have done with many more episodes to cover the content. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Clarification on 'rushed'. When I said it, I definitely didn't mean rushed the process. I mean they could have done with many more episodes to cover the content. 

I was of the impression the delay between season 7 and 8 was down to a strike or some sort of industry dispute?

I 100% think more episodes were absolutely necessary.

To wrap up the stories of Cersei, The Hound and Varys in one episode (among others) was rushed. They deserved an episode each 

I didn’t realise that the guys making it are doing Star Wars too. That makes sense as that’s the type of film it feels like. Fantasy, Hollywood extravaganza. It is so detached fro the grit and substance of the early series for me, that it feels like a totally different programme now. 

Not saying it isn’t good, but I don’t enjoy the episodes, even though I get excited for each one and am desperate to enjoy them.

Its like of the sopranos started as it was, then they do a super quick last series where Tony’s crew are involved with high action police shoot outs, chases and one on one duals with a rival gang.

Some people like how they’ve developed this series, but it’s not for me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, belarus said:

I didn’t realise that the guys making it are doing Star Wars too. That makes sense as that’s the type of film it feels like. Fantasy, Hollywood extravaganza. It is so detached fro the grit and substance of the early series for me, that it feels like a totally different programme now. 

Not saying it isn’t good, but I don’t enjoy the episodes, even though I get excited for each one and am desperate to enjoy them.

Its like of the sopranos started as it was, then they do a super quick last series where Tony’s crew are involved with high action police shoot outs, chases and one on one duals with a rival gang.

Some people like how they’ve developed this series, but it’s not for me.

Thing about that is they also made all the episodes from the earlier seasons that you did like. And it isn't just a case of them copying everything from the books either, loads of stuff from the earlier seasons wasn't in the books and they wrote it themselves. Jon Snow and Ygritte is completely different on the show compared to the books for example or Arya ending up serving Tywin Lannister when in the books it's Roose Bolton she ends up serving under. Not to mention the white walkers are barely mentioned in the books at all.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, belarus said:

Fair enough mate, but the last 2 series still feel like completely different programmes to the first 5 or so. 

As I say, understand people like it, just explaining why I don’t.

I agree that the pace is a lot faster the last two seasons, I just don’t agree with some of the reasons such as they didn’t have time when it’s taken almost two years or that the writers aren’t talented when it’s the same people who made the show so good to begin with.

For me it was always going to be this way once they confirmed they only had 13 episodes left to wrap it up.

Personally I think they could have done the first two episodes in this season as one episode and had the night king story spread out over two episodes, but it is what it is now, and there have been enough spectacular moments in this season for me to still have enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

I think it’s now set up for John and the batshit crazy dragon queen to both die, or at least for John to kill her. Gendry takes the throne and Arya his queen. 

It it was obvious Daenerys was going to torch kings landing, and bollocks to them. Fucking southerners.

8 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Thing about that is they also made all the episodes from the earlier seasons that you did like. And it isn't just a case of them copying everything from the books either, loads of stuff from the earlier seasons wasn't in the books and they wrote it themselves. Jon Snow and Ygritte is completely different on the show compared to the books for example or Arya ending up serving Tywin Lannister when in the books it's Roose Bolton she ends up serving under. Not to mention the white walkers are barely mentioned in the books at all.

I haven't read the books but I'm assuming the battle of the bastards wasn't in it (or had got to that part anyway). Fantastic tv.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I haven't read the books but I'm assuming the battle of the bastards wasn't in it (or had got to that part anyway). Fantastic tv.

Yeah it’s not happened in the books. Stannis is still alive in the books and seems more likely to lead the fight in what the show called the battle of the bastards than Jon Snow. Good chance Jon snow isn’t even there.

Hardhome is another thing that hasn’t happened in the books. Jon Snow gets a letter from a ranger saying ‘there are dead things in the water at Hardhome’ and that’s it. The tv episode was wrote from

that throwaway line. 

Another iconic moment with Hodor and the ‘hold the door’ episode isn’t in the books either. 

Slag off Benioff and Weiss by all means but it seems a bit churlish not to acknowledge that they also created the show in the first place, and didn’t just lose their way as soon as they got further than the books. Like I say, some of the most celebrated episodes; ‘Hardhome, The door, Battle of the Bastards’ were created by them from scratch.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah it’s not happened in the books. Stannis is still alive in the books and seems more likely to lead the fight in what the show called the battle of the bastards than Jon Snow. Good chance Jon snow isn’t even there.

Hardhome is another thing that hasn’t happened in the books. Jon Snow gets a letter from a ranger saying ‘there are dead things in the water at Hardhome’ and that’s it. The tv episode was wrote from

that throwaway line. 

Another iconic moment with Hodor and the ‘hold the door’ episode isn’t in the books either. 

Slag off Benioff and Weiss by all means but it seems a bit churlish not to acknowledge that they also created the show in the first place, and didn’t just lose their way as soon as they got further than the books. Like I say, some of the most celebrated episodes; ‘Hardhome, The door, Battle of the Bastards’ were created by them from scratch.

Yeah, it's all a bit weird to me all of this.