You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

I really don’t don’t get it when people argue about whether something like this is good or not, it’s a completely subjective subject. People like different things and have different tastes, it’s literally a waste of time telling someone they’re wrong for not liking something and vice versa.

Welcome to the GF

• Upvote 1

Watching it again, actress playing Arya is fucking superb, when the undead start making an undead bridge she has a look to say ah fer fucks sake, 

mormonts triumphal death is spot on, she has been worthy of that since she came in.

some of the shots of the dragons in the distance across the sky remind me of some c17 paintings from around dante’s Inferno - proper boss, especially an early shot where they are scorching the earth with the colours of sunset.

When the undead were attacking danerys’ dragon again was like some 17th century depiction of hell.

Fiery tits was sublime as ever, and great to see her play a key role in guiding them through it.

hound is ace is as the everyman.

thanks fuck Jorah is dead, he is my fucking head in the pleading twat.

music was pretty good as well.

as epic battles go, I think it was pretty fucking good.

deffo worth a second watch to pick up

more of what is happening other than the initial spectacle of watching it first time.

• Upvote 4

After watching E3 again I've been thinking a a lot about some of the gripes, moans and complaints about GOT (myself included) and just think we are spoiled to fuck. 

Inthe past two decades we've had Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, West Wing, Seinfeld, Curb, Deadwood, Mad Man, The Shield and these are just the ones I like so I imagine everyone could add to this.   Wherever you put them in terms of ratings these shows not just raised the bar but blasted it into orbit on what a good series should be. 

Going on about the dark, CGI, the budget characters not dying. It's like shagging Kelly Brook every night for a year then pulling the fittest bird in your work and moaning about her tits, just enjoy the ride. 

My days of Edgelording over minutia are over. Just going to enjoy the next few episodes. 

22 hours ago, Brownie said:

I really don’t don’t get it when people argue about whether something like this is good or not, it’s a completely subjective subject. People like different things and have different tastes, it’s literally a waste of time telling someone they’re wrong for not liking something and vice versa.

Good or not (or in this case, utter shut or not) is less subjective than whether somebody likes something or not. I don’t give a shit if somebody disliked Goodfellas, Godfather, Sopranos or whatever, but if they tell me how it’s utter shit and it’s poor acting and poor casting and poor direction, I’m probably going to give my opinion why I think that’s wrong.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

After watching E3 again I've been thinking a a lot about some of the gripes, moans and complaints about GOT (myself included) and just think we are spoiled to fuck. 

Inthe past two decades we've had Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, West Wing, Seinfeld, Curb, Deadwood, Mad Man, The Shield and these are just the ones I like so I imagine everyone could add to this.   Wherever you put them in terms of ratings these shows not just raised the bar but blasted it into orbit on what a good series should be. 

Going on about the dark, CGI, the budget characters not dying. It's like shagging Kelly Brook every night for a year then pulling the fittest bird in your work and moaning about her tits, just enjoy the ride. 

My days of Edgelording over minutia are over. Just going to enjoy the next few episodes. 

Tell me you’re not teaching English Paulie.

5 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Tell me you’re not teaching English Paulie.

Fucking tram jerked and posted before completing.

is minutiae English?

agree about the negativity, can’t be arsed picking holes in it, it’s a tv program, a really fucking good one... and I’m not Barry frigging Norman.

25 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Fucking tram jerked and posted before completing.

is minutiae English?

agree about the negativity, can’t be arsed picking holes in it, it’s a tv program, a really fucking good one... and I’m not Barry frigging Norman.

It is but admittedly I/autocorrect didn't spell it correctly.

I teach the lot mate. Forgot what a verb was the other day in front of 40 kids. 

On 03/05/2019 at 01:43, Chris said:

Also the way people are turning on the show as a whole is ridiculous. But also indicative of how everything has to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever in the social media era.

It was never as good as it was hyped to be at its peak, and that episode last week was nowhere near as flawed as people are making out.

I disagree with this mate. The show is now a completely different show to what it started out as. Even up to series 5 it was as it was. The last 2 series have gone totally west. I appreciate it can be down to character and plot development, but I preferred the first 5 series, first 4 for sure, so don’t see why people get annoyed when people point out the obvious changes in it all. If you like it you like it, if you don’t you don’t.

My favourite programme of all time is The Sopranos. I would have been pissed off and critical if Tony went straight in the last 2 seasons and started as an under cover vigilante bringing down the mob, with no context or back story around the new mob boss he’s hunting. That’s the Night’s King in this for me.

Again, just my opinion - not telling anyone they’re wrong. Apart from the ones who are wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 04/05/2019 at 07:55, Numero Veinticinco said:

Good or not (or in this case, utter shut or not) is less subjective than whether somebody likes something or not. I don’t give a shit if somebody disliked Goodfellas, Godfather, Sopranos or whatever, but if they tell me how it’s utter shit and it’s poor acting and poor casting and poor direction, I’m probably going to give my opinion why I think that’s wrong.

The quality of something is completely subjective mate. It just is.

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

We’re on a discussion forum mate, it’d be pretty weird if people just replied to every opinion by saying it’s subjective and there is no right or wrong. 

“The Beatles didn’t have an ounce of musical talent”

”That’s your subjective opinion so fair enough”

“Midsomer murders is better than The Sopranos”

Just because something is your genuine opinion doesn’t meant you’re not wrong about it or that people can’t discuss it. Or argue about it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

We’re on a discussion forum mate, it’d be pretty weird if people just replied to every opinion by saying it’s subjective and there is no right or wrong. 

“The Beatles didn’t have an ounce of musical talent”

“Midsomer murders is better than The Sopranos”

Just because something is your genuine opinion doesn’t meant you’re not wrong about it or that people can’t discuss it. Or argue about it.

I completely agree with that and I haven’t suggested that there’s a problem with debate. As I said earlier, people like different things so there’s bound to be debate and disagreement.

There’s a difference between that and what i’m saying though. If I see a post where someone says that x is shit because of y (like the two examples you used) then generally my response will be to scroll through it and debate something else because telling someone that their taste is wrong is just a complete and utter waste of time. 

Just now, Brownie said:

I don't agree. Whether you like something is subjective, whether something meets a certain criteria to be considered quality is much more of an objective measure. Otherwise people could just say that the quality of Messi is less than Susan Boyle when it comes to football. That's not a subjective thing, it can be measures with objective markers. For example, Messi plays football. 

BTW, I've got no real issue with somebody not liking it. I do have a bit of a mental dribble when somebody calls it utter shit or that the CGI is shit. All rational thought needs to be flushed down the loo at that point.