You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

I'd be happier suspending my disbelief to support the idea that they could go on the run if it served a better culmination of the storylines, we already suspended it for plenty of other things in that episode.  Seeing the panic and distress while characters run or die, would've been dramatic and driven the chaos back to Cersei in a way where there would have been some suspense over the eventual outcome.  Especially with Wildfire and things like that coming into play.

So many of those things left to resolve, are minor plot points and fan service, not the main thrust of the entire narrative - as in a universal thread that started at the very beginning, has been developed throughout and now is treated as ancillary.  There would obviously still be space for scenes to resolve some and write other out. 

I also expect it to play out pretty much as you say and I'm sure it'll be ace.   Just not convinced it was the right conclusion and totally disagree on the WWs needing to be resolved separately.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Mate, there are only three episodes left. If they don’t deal with it now then when? They obviously need 2-3 episodes to wrap up the main storyline of the iron throne and every other payoff we’ve been waiting for like The Hound V The Mountain. 

Either the strand with the Night King or the Strand with Cersei had to wrap up around now to leave time to deal with the other.

The Night King doesn't exist in the books. What was the point of even creating him in the show if the whole story was just that he was an evil guy with no other motivation than "he wants to end humanity"? It's just crap storytelling. 

Since he was a character, I don't mind that he died and I don't mind that Arya killed him (I think that was foreshadowed really subtly and beautifully) but the fact he died just being this one-dimensional villain no one really knew anything about was bullshit. The story-line was basically just a gigantic diversion and waste of time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Night King doesn't exist in the books. What was the point of even creating him in the show if the whole story was just that he was an evil guy with no other motivation than "he wants to end humanity"? It's just crap storytelling. 

Since he was a character, I don't mind that he died and I don't mind that Arya killed him (I think that was foreshadowed really subtly and beautifully) but the fact he died just being this one-dimensional villain no one really knew anything about was bullshit. The story-line was basically just a gigantic diversion and waste of time. 

And he didn’t exist in the show until season four when he briefly appeared. You’ve got to assume he will be putting in an appearance in the books when, or indeed if, Martin ever finishes them. 

As for his motivations, I’d be as interested as anyone else to know more about him but I think it’s been intentional to keep us in the dark beyond a few scraps of information. It lends itself to the otherness of the character not knowing fuck all about him or what he wants.

I mean ultimately The Emperor from Star Wars and Sauron from LOTR do what they do because they’ve evil and want to rule the world/universe. It’s not really any deeper than that. It’s pretty standard stuff for a bad guy.

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

And he didn’t exist in the show until season four when he briefly appeared. You’ve got to assume he will be putting in an appearance in the books when, or indeed if, Martin ever finishes them. 

As for his motivations, I’d be as interested as anyone else to know more about him but I think it’s been intentional to keep us in the dark beyond a few scraps of information. It lends itself to the otherness of the character not knowing fuck all about him or what he wants.

I mean ultimately The Emperor from Star Wars and Sauron from LOTR do what they do because they’ve evil and want to rule the world/universe. It’s not really any deeper than that. It’s pretty standard stuff for a bad guy.

There's already a "Night's King" who is quite different in the book, I don't think GRRM will create another guy called the "Night King".

And GRRM has already said he doesn't like the trope of villains and characters who are pure evil and have no duality. Now that we know the Night King is just your run-of-the-mill bad guy, he just has no place in the story. If we somehow get some info in the last 3 episodes then fair enough. Otherwise, what was even the point? To bring all the houses together to fight a common enemy? That's all I can think of, but it just seems unnecessary and surface level. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

There's already a "Night's King" who is quite different in the book, I don't think GRRM will create another guy called the "Night King".

And GRRM has already said he doesn't like the trope of villains who are pure evil and have no duality. Now that we know the Night King is just your run-of-the-mill bad guy, he just has no place in the story. If we somehow get some info in the last 3 episodes then fair enough. Otherwise, what was even the point? 

The Nights King in the book is just an old character who doesn’t feature and is presumably long dead. If the Night King is in it I think he’ll have a different name. I think it’s reasonable to think the White Walkers - or The Others as the books call them - will have a leader of some kind that will take on the role the NK plays in the show.

Though to be honest fuck knows what he’ll do and I’m not holding out much hope for him finishing the book he’s currently doing before he bites the dust never mind the next one.

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Need to up the breasts on the screen count for the last 3 episodes or it will all have been a waste of time. 

If I wanted to watch Pingu I'd watch Pingu. 

Less NOOT NOOT more NUDE NUDE 

6MjMgs9.png

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Standard bad guy my arse. He has a backstory waiting to be told. 

Yes, but it hasn't been told. Hence what you know about him with 3 episodes to go in the whole show is that he's a bit mean and wants to destroy mankind. Great stuff. 

• Upvote 2

Also the way people are turning on the show as a whole is ridiculous. But also indicative of how everything has to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever in the social media era.

It was never as good as it was hyped to be at its peak, and that episode last week was nowhere near as flawed as people are making out.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but it hasn't been told. Hence what you know about him with 3 episodes to go in the whole show is that he's a bit mean and wants to destroy mankind. Great stuff. 

Except, of course, that's not true. You mustn't have been watching very closely. 

So, what are we saying? It's not enough motivation that the Night King was one of the first men who was turned into a walker by the children of the forest, who then turned against the children but got his arse handed to him and so was brooding for a thousand years or whatever it was? I'd say that's plenty of motivation to try again to take Westerns especially if you have lots of time on your hands. People do mad shit on TV shows for less.

I really don’t don’t get it when people argue about whether something like this is good or not, it’s a completely subjective subject. People like different things and have different tastes, it’s literally a waste of time telling someone they’re wrong for not liking something and vice versa.

15 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So, what are we saying? It's not enough motivation that the Night King was one of the first men who was turned into a walker by the children of the forest, who then turned against the children but got his arse handed to him and so was brooding for a thousand years or whatever it was? I'd say that's plenty of motivation to try again to take Westerns especially if you have lots of time on your hands. People do mad shit on TV shows for less.

XqJ.gif

11 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I really don’t don’t get it when people argue about whether something like this is good or not, it’s a completely subjective subject. People like different things and have different tastes, it’s literally a waste of time telling someone they’re wrong for not liking something and vice versa.

No it isn't. 

• Upvote 1