You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

If they did anything else it would have been daft. It is what they’ve always done. Every battle. In an open field. 

Come on, man, it’s exactly what would have happened based on what they’ve done before. 

Have they been in more than one proper battle all show? Even then they circled, they ambushed, they used archers.  They didn't just bash their head against whatever stands in front of them.  I'm not saying it's wrong or bad, or complaining at all really, I'm absolutely fine with them making it simpler while making a visual point (really well), but it's dumb.

Happy to disagree on it.

• Upvote 1

Big up to Theon. Impressive how he never put a spear through Brann’s head when he just fucked of for a little fly about. 

Just watching the end scene again, immense from Aryia. Boss how all the dead just fell. 

And fair fuck’s to Danny for getting stuck in. Got a bit weepy when Lady Mormont went. Captain Buzzkill better tell who the Night King was. 

RIP Jorel. Touching scene with the dragon. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’ve read the books and disagree. I’ve got no issue with that, but calling it fucking shite says to me that you’ve either lost objectivity or your expectations have been a touch high. This episode was just a part of an overall story. 

It happens with everything. It was ‘they ruined the Sopranos with that shit ending’ it was ‘TNG isn’t Star Trek’ and so on and so forth. 

Id genuinely ask what people want from a TV show if that was classed as absolute shite. I get that there might have been some things that people would have preferred not to happen or something, but fucking shite? To each his own, but my own is miles from that. 

I also have read the books and I agree with your disagreement. Great reads. Great tv. Great episode, albeit not above criticism. However the criticism I've read so far is akin to them bloody contrary boring muso snobs you get in 6th form who were into flojo and the bottleboys before acoustic was conceived or some such shite. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

thought it was a bit shit.

Found it really difficult to focus on a lot of it seeing as it was so dark. 

The CGI was woeful, especially anything containing the dragons. And as for the Zombies, fuck off, its just medievil Walking Dead really.

imagine now that slapper Cersei rocks up with her new fella and massive army to batter all the survivors. 

never thought id say it, but the show is now scraping the barrel, time to end it. 

I mean, there are valid criticisms to be made about aspects of it but this is just off the wall bollocks, Chris. The CGI was fucking amazing. Some of the Dragon scenes were unreal. This is a TV show remember? Fuckin hell.

• Upvote 1

Night King, as ever, led the White Walker gegenpress well but switched off at the crucial moment when Arya arrived unmarked at the back post to send Winterfell through. That's what happens when you play zonal rather than pick up man to man

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Thoth said:

Night King, as ever, led the White Walker gegenpress well but switched off at the crucial moment when Arya arrived unmarked at the back post to send Winterfell through. That's what happens when you play zonal rather than pick up man to man

You have just fucked us haven't you. Fucking nobhead 

42 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

thought it was a bit shit.

Found it really difficult to focus on a lot of it seeing as it was so dark. 

The CGI was woeful, especially anything containing the dragons. And as for the Zombies, fuck off, its just medievil Walking Dead really.

imagine now that slapper Cersei rocks up with her new fella and massive army to batter all the survivors. 

never thought id say it, but the show is now scraping the barrel, time to end it. 

No words. Yes I have, utter bollocks my mate. Your opinion, not the episode.

• Upvote 1

The first 20/25 minutes were brilliant. I had it in my head that the white walkers were at Kings Landing as a twist. When queen fire with the surprisingly amazing tits lit the Dothraki swords I felt a surge go through me. The dragons just seemed to be having a jolly in the sky for most of the battle. I love the Hound. 

They've got a brilliantly established set of characters and lore, as well as an enormous budget to support them so it's still entertaining but it really is just a lot of mindless, nonsensical action, with the only motivation of anyone in it at this point being "what would make for exciting television?"

I've no doubt that if the books had stopped just before Ned got executed, we'd have seen Arya jump up and save him at the last second and then the two of them battle their way to safety, killing dozens of soldiers in the process, with every ad break fading out on their certain death, only to resume with them having miraculously survived and continuing to carve through the enemy.

46 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Thought it was fantastic television. The kind of episode I feel I've been waiting for since Blackwater. Tension ludicrously high. Arya in the library was like a resident evil game and her chase scenes exhilarating. 

The dragon bits were well done with the aerial fighting. 

Didn't see the ending coming and thought Arya was fucked. For the first time in 8 series I'm looking forward to brann talking next week to see what he knew/knows. 

Not if you seen a spoiler that Arya kills the night king, from a British fucking newspaper at 7am this morning.   Probably the only bit of truth the bastards have printed all week and it completely ruined the episode for me.   Zero tension, zero shock. 

The lightning was ridiculously shit too.   My eyes are sore after watching it. 

3 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Not if you seen a spoiler that Arya kills the night king, from a British fucking newspaper at 7am this morning.   Probably the only bit of truth the bastards have printed all week and it completely ruined the episode for me.   Zero tension, zero shock. 

The lightning was ridiculously shit too.   My eyes are sore after watching it. 

What cunt rag said that? 

I don’t think they had much choice but to finish the Night king storyline in this episode really. The battle for the iron throne is the real story here and they needed at least two episodes to wrap that up. They could have wrapped up the iron throne first and then had this battle as the last episode but I think it makes more sense the way they’ve done it.

Besides which the White walkers are only one strand of the story. The Night King didn’t even appear until season four, and even then only briefly. As has been mentioned, in the books he’s not even a character yet.

This episode had so many great moments that any minor gripes I have over plot points falls to the wayside. The Dothraki lights being snuffed out was chilling and one of the tensest moments of TV I’ve witnessed (and I agree it made sense they’d charge in, they are all headcases and had just had their spirits lifted by their swords beings set alight), Lyanna Mormont slaying the Giant wight, Daenerys saying ‘Dracarys’ and lighting the Night King up, the scenes with Arya in the library and in the Godswood at the end. It was sensational TV.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've said my bit about the story but some of the details were unreal. When Arya is sneaking around and they make the watcher realize the drops of blood are making more noise than she is, that was brilliant. 

Love how they were respectfully quiet in the library.... 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've said my bit about the story but some of the details were unreal. When Arya is sneaking around and they make the watcher realize the drops of blood are making more noise than she is, that was brilliant. 

I actually thought that bit was a bit weird, why did she not just kill them all, they were not that many. She had killed loads more just seconds earlier.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I'm absolutely delighted with that episode despite agreeing with a lot of the criticisms. Brilliant tension bettered only by the battle of the bastards. Biggest criticism is it's obvious that certain characters won't die, at least yet which loses a little bit of the excitement. Completely understandable though, as Arya or Jon getting twatted now would really be a sickener. 

Absolutely made up that it hopefully seems to be the end of the wight walkers, with episodes to spare. In such a brilliant character lead show, there is no motive or nuance about them and it just makes them run of the mill, one dimensional fodder compared to excellent villains like Joffrey or Ramsey, god I miss them. However, the episode really treated this irritating part of the show brilliantly. 

The red witch returning was a nice unexpected touch and she kicked fucking ass. Ser Jorah was easily the biggest loss, think Danyaerys was considering giving him a friendzone death jump. 

Really thought Bran might do something brilliant, but perhaps that's still to come. 

I think Bran is supposed to have done something brilliant by choreographing the NK's death. He knew the NK is a bit of a shithouse lurking on the edge of a battle and wouldn't risk himself until all seemed done and dusted.  Bran even gave Arya the dagger to kill him a few episodes back.