You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Absolute shite.

What the fuck have they done to the story/show? All this the "NK and WW" are evil and the real baddies and will destroy mankind and that's all that matters, and then they are reduced to one battle and gone? They built the NK up so much and that was it. WTF. The WW turn out to be just a Northern problem? Ramsey Bolton was a better villain than the NK.

So Cercei becomes the one to beat after all is said and done? How come she gets off so easy? Fuck sake.

Surely the books will more intricate than this dumbed down shite. Who the fuck is Melisandre after all? Just a fuckin mess. Like I said before, since they've no source material to go off the writing has turned into a Steaming pile of Pogba.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah for the story arch it was a bit shit. I thought the ultimate battle would be against the knight king but as a tv spectacle it was great.

Jon snow did fuck all though.

It felt like Snow was just giving up. He did fuck all.

Another thing that bugged me was Theon. If he just went behind Bran for another few seconds he'd be grand and surely Bran knew that? Bran basically said, "you're a good man, but I'm not going to give you the head's up, so fuck off". Rubbish writing.

EDIT: If theon had a dagger he could have done a job on the NK. I'm just so pissed off at the whole thing.

Jon Snow looked like a man who'd only been on a dragon once in his life before the big show and still hasn't sorted things out with his aunt that he still wants to fuck but feels like he shouldn't.

The battle was fucking awesome though, storytelling be damned, even the writers knew the story was fucked once they outpaced Martin that's why the show is ending.

If Theon had some tactical thinking in his body he might have been able to kill the Night King, but I take it as he wanted to die what he saw a Hero's death and for his character to have been an honorary Stark, betray them, and then redeem himself to both his own house and his honorary house sure I can accept it as an ending for him. Bran himself though I have to say is just a weird one, wtf what was the point of him warging into all the ravens anyway? It presented like it was just to find the Night King but then he stays that way the whole time and doesn't actually tell anyone that the Night King is indeed there. I mean fair enough it's not shit the kid can do really, at least as far as we know, but I would've expected something else. I thought he was gonna warg into one the wolf that charged into battle with the Dothraki at first and at least try to do something.

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Fucking hell. Just incredible.

The fucking tension built up prior to the fight... holy shit. Then the fucking Dothraki were just snuffed out in seconds. Outrageous. Such good stuff and it takes its place in the overall story being told. Some incredible scenes and moments that will take a second and third watch to unpack. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Wondering if we'll get some kind of exposition after the fact on the Night King now, like who he was and what his motives were. Its not essential, but it would be interesting to see if the writers had a backstory for him in their locker.

Prequels, baby. 

29 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Didn’t read the rest of your post but I was wondering who would be the first to say something like that. Congrats. 

I just feel the story has gone to the dogs and judging by the reactions on social media I am far from alone in thinking this. As an avid fan of the books, I feel the show has gone all a bit Disney. I'm sure it's absolutely brilliant for those who have not read the books so are not as expectant as I am.

Visually it was stunning but the plot lines have gone to stink. There are so many story arcs that have not been brought to a satisfying conclusion or have been weakly described that it just feels so rushed now. I get it that It's "Game of Thrones" so the action has to be in around King's Landing and the Iron Throne for the finale, but there's so many WTF  moments now. Another example - Bran warging into Crows and just having himself ringside a seat to the battle without doing anything to help? Shite.

I'm hoping the final 3 pull it all in and tell us what we need to know.

• Like 1

Thought it was weak, but might give it another go later. 7am not the ideal time. 

Had issues with the writing, but the plot points were solid enough (although felt the others should have joined the fight, there was scope for much more push/pull).  Thought the direction was terrible, especially with theon.  Didn't feel he got the redemption he deserved, should have been a stoic facing down of his fears, not running in like an idiot.  Even with the full frontal approach the blocking made him look ridiculous for me.  Otherwise it was outright incoherent in places.

Also Sam, the fact he's trained as a maester should have given him a role to play in the castle, not just have him revert to type.

That said some of these things could set up decent moments to come so not blasting it at all.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I just feel the story has gone to the dogs and judging by the reactions on social media I am far from alone in thinking this. As an avid fan of the books, I feel the show has gone all a bit Disney. I'm sure it's absolutely brilliant for those who have not read the books so are not as expectant as I am.

Visually it was stunning but the plot lines have gone to stink. There are so many story arcs that have not been brought to a satisfying conclusion or have been weakly described that it just feels so rushed now. I get it that It's "Game of Thrones" so the action has to be in around King's Landing and the Iron Throne for the finale, but there's so many WTF  moments now. Another example - Bran warging into Crows and just having himself ringside a seat to the battle without doing anything to help? Shite.

I'm hoping the final 3 pull it all in and tell us what we need to know.

I’ve read the books and disagree. I’ve got no issue with that, but calling it fucking shite says to me that you’ve either lost objectivity or your expectations have been a touch high. This episode was just a part of an overall story. 

It happens with everything. It was ‘they ruined the Sopranos with that shit ending’ it was ‘TNG isn’t Star Trek’ and so on and so forth. 

Id genuinely ask what people want from a TV show if that was classed as absolute shite. I get that there might have been some things that people would have preferred not to happen or something, but fucking shite? To each his own, but my own is miles from that. 

• Upvote 4

Just watched it. 

Couple of gripes, it was way too dark to see properly but will watch it in a dark room as per an earlier suggestion to see if that helps, found the dragon scenes rediculous, was expecting Theon to do what Ayra did, Jon Snow just gave up and it felt too easy to kill the NK to end it all. 

Given all of that, I still enjoyed it and loved that it was Ayra being the badass again and looking forward to Cersei getting her comeuppance in a nice, gruesome way. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Sherman said:

I'm 53 and had a tear in my eye when Lady Mormont did what she did. I thought it was great. Not sure why Danyeras would agree though to let her entire force be wiped out so early and easily but I suppose it adds to the story. At least she has one Dragon left, maybe 2.

Oh, yeah. When she was crushed... holy fuck. That's classic Game of Thrones epic death scene right there. Brilliant. The Dothraki are only part of her force, but the way they met the White Walkers in an open field and got utterly obliterated, having had their weapons set on fire by the Red Woman - giving the feeling that they were going into an epic battle, but *poof* they're gone. That's some excellent scene setting right there. It's hard to make a TV viewer anxious, and it required a lot of set up. They've set that up over 60 odd hours, shown them being virtually unbeatable in that scenario, fighting the Lannisters and having Jaime shit his load about it, then using that to show how fucking unreal the enemy is... excellent. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Wondering if we'll get some kind of exposition after the fact on the Night King now, like who he was and what his motives were. Its not essential, but it would be interesting to see if the writers had a backstory for him in their locker.

I think it might all be done by bran in the next few episodes, traveling to the past and shit. Unless when they decided they where going to be doing prequels they changed the direction of the show to leave some story for that.

I think the Bran warging into the crows will be explained, at least I hope so.

Agree that the Lady Mormont scene was great, I enjoyed her from her 1st scene.

Also liked the Theon Death, Bran telling him he was Family.

Still think that they could have killed some of the main characters, Jorah being the only real big recurring one to die, Edd wasnt that major a character. 

Waiting to see how the Bron Jaime/Tyrion will play out