You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

OK episode, everything went as expected, good that they got the meetings and reveals out the way, couldn't be arsed spending 5 episodes watching Sam sweating over whether to tell Jon or not. Sansa is doing my head in. 

Dialogue was a bit dodgy at some points. 

What was the thing arya wants making? 

How are the wildboyz planning on getting to winterfell before the white walkers?  I didn't get that part. 

When Bran was sat off outside and he said he was waiting for an old friend I assumed he was talking about Sam, but then I realised he was talking about Jaime. 

Overall the episode could have probably been done in half the time, nothing out of the ordinary happened except for the umber lad. The memes have been amusing though. 

RPGKWPa.jpg

202ak8bc4cs21.jpg

fvy2umxe5hs21.jpg

hvtb1c1wdes21.jpg

r4lyoyqs9hs21.jpg

bh9fov44dhs21.png

ffuv6bnbpbs21.jpg

v8rc32bd9cs21.jpg

00888w1b5gs21.jpg

yxwdhcwg4fs21.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thought it was pretty bland even by the GOT first episodes in the past. Already been mentioned but some of the scenes were just embarrassing and the whole elephant thing was cringey.

Can't wait for it to pick up now and surely there's no room for anymore episodes like this one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I've yet to see an episode of this.

Is it like Harry Potter? Is there a pair of magic underpants that diminutive heroes have to steal back from a dragon?

Is it overhyped or should I give it a go at some point?

It's ace. Sean Bean's in it.

Well I was very disappointed.

It seems to me that since they've gone away from the books that the screenplay writing has gone massively downhill and the acting has suffered as a result. There was very little in the way of dialogue considering what is at stake. The interactions between the main characters were wooden as fuck except for Tyrion and Varys. I didn't honestly feel anything for any of the reunions. There were too many dumbed-down 'comic' moments. Bran reminds me of the time I went on a 2 day pills and powder binge and the days afterwards I sat staring at the wallpaper patterns completely zonked. The flying scene was embarrassing. There was so much possibility for the Arya/Hound scene that it feels wasted.The only decent scenes were the ones with Ned Umber and Jamie. Yes I know it was meant to be a 'return full circle' episode but it was boring, dumbed down and pandering to stupid people who want style over substance. I really hope the rest of the season isn't as bad. 

• Upvote 6

I really enjoyed the episode, no wight walker bollocks and loads of storylines approached head on. 

I predict Bronn will save the Dornish snake bird because if he doesn't there would literally be no alive characters left from Dorne

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I really enjoyed the episode, no wight walker bollocks and loads of storylines approached head on. 

I predict Bronn will save the Dornish snake bird because if he doesn't there would literally be no alive characters left from Dorne

I think bad poosy is a goner, not sure how her ma is doing like with having to sit and watch her daughter decompose in front of her. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, niallers said:

My advice to anyone who's not watched the first one is to wait til next week and watch the first 2 together. Twas a bit slow,predictably so in my opinion, but hopefully it'll be all action from here on in.

Thing is, they've been criticised for too much action and being too far from the early episodes (which, in my opinion, is ridiculous because 1) There was action earlier 2) there was storylines later 3) it's a story that's been leading to this moment since the beginning!) so they clearly tried to set some later things up and do some things that needed doing. I think they did it in a good way. If anything, it was a very standard GoT opening episode. 

• Upvote 2

It sounds very grand and raises some good points, but pulling away in 5th gear, emotionally, and trying to maintain that across the series would lead to a pretty unsatisfying ending.

Every season people seem to have this vision of the grand potential show they're going to see, every season people complain when the show they feel entitled to isn't all that realistic (talking about reddit here, not necessarily any individual).  Everything has to be huge, every character obviously applies ancient lore to every action around them and the writers shouldn't waste any time re-establishing anything, despite being the biggest show on the planet. It's nonsense. 

The biggest complaint in that post seems to be that it would make for better drama if characters reconciled themselves immediately to major personal developments...  I mean, no.  It wouldn't.  That's the opposite of drama. The comments are along similar lines, idealised characters are being badly written because their actions aren't befitting of their apparent perfection? Maybe it's not shit writing, maybe they're just not perfect. Not to mention the way they attribute character actions to "the show".

The writers aren't as good as Martin, pretty unfair to expect them to be - they don't have the time, space or talent he does.  Bit early to be kicking off when you don't know how events will unfold though.