You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

I don't think there's ever been a poor episode. Every week I'm left desperate for the next one. If GoT is boring, the Netflix effect has clearly ruined telly for some, creating a generation of binge watchers who crash if their televisual adrenaline fix isn't maintained at a stratospheric level.

I think GOT is one of those shows that needs to be binge watched. The wire is like that. Keep wanting to get my Mrs into it but there's no one episode that stands out from the rest the way there is something like the Sopranos, it needs to be consumed in batches.

I don't think there's ever been a poor episode. Every week I'm left desperate for the next one. If GoT is boring, the Netflix effect has clearly ruined telly for some, creating a generation of binge watchers who crash if their televisual adrenaline fix isn't maintained at a stratospheric level.

Don't know how you and stringy managed to wait for the next Buck Rogers serial in the weekly penny theatre tbh

The completely predictable (and incredibly dull) annulment of the Arya storyline was frustrating. Ok, so the other lass is going to come for her and try to kill her, but she will fail.

Hours of plotline wasted, what did we learn ?

that she got a lot of training in the dark arts of killing people. She's going to be a little killing machine now. I'm looking forward to see where she goes & who she's after next.

It can't just be me but Daenerys is not the 'good' character in opposition to the Lannister as she was originally seen. She's killed loads of fuckers to 'free' people but it's only to mass an army. Those dothraki are going to rape and kill plenty of Westeros citizens on their own. It's interesting that Bran had visions of the mad king at the beginning of the episodes and Daenerys goes a bit whacky with her speech at the end. Even Daario looked a bit taken aback.

• Upvote 1

The Arya arc has been the worst, I was excited when she went there because I like Jaqen H'ghar and thought they become some exciting killing double act but it's been so boring and slow, i know it's necessary to tell her story and show her training to become whatever's she's going to be but they could have done what they done with Bran and told it all quite quickly, leave him out for a bit then bring him back when it's time because at the moment the Bran flashbacks are my favourite plot lines. It's been a good series so far, I have a feeling it's going to get amazing next week onwards.

Arya has basically been in a holding pattern for a series or two. Just getting her trained up to be a Stark killing machine. They should have replaced all her scenes with a Rocky-style training montage and had a storyline in Littlefinger's brothel instead, mostly involving naked women

I think GOT is one of those shows that needs to be binge watched. The wire is like that. Keep wanting to get my Mrs into it but there's no one episode that stands out from the rest the way there is something like the Sopranos, it needs to be consumed in batches.

I disagree. I've never binge watched anything in my life at the first time of viewing and The Wire and this are two of my all-time favourites.

Guest Pistonbroke

What do you reckon the chances are of the High Sparrow being more than a lowly shoemaker in his past life, connected to someone who would have beef with the Lannisters? It seems to me (total gut feeling, not based on anything concrete) that the whole religious angle is a means to an end rather than the be all and end all.

Total flight of fantasy here, but what if the Lannisters didn't totally wipe out the Reynes of Castamere?

Fact is that the High Septon was the son of a wealthy cobbler, maybe it was his father who was something more than a cobbler? Ironically it was Cersei who used her influence to raise him to the position of High Septon within the Sparrows after finding him dishing out soup in Flea Bottom. 

At the end of season 1, Dany emerged from the flames, vowing to build a navy and lead a Dothraki army, with dragons, across the sea and to conquer Westeros. Here, 5 seasons and hours of screentime later, Dany emerges from the flames, vowing to build a navy and lead a Dothraki army, with dragons, across the sea to conquer Westeros. It's one of the slowest moving plotlines in TV history, which wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't such a spoilt, entitled, unlikeable cunt.

The Sam and Gilly storyline could, with minor dialogue and costume changes, slot straight into Emmerdale and not look at all out of place.

Arya's story has been a 30 second training montage stretched out to about an hour of screentime. Not to mention the 5-10 minutes spent showing a medieval-style play which even the characters in it think is shit.

I suppose we finally had some movement on the men in robes, with sticks, who emerged from nowhere to take over the kingdom, at least.

At this point, the show has become a mix of characters and plotlines I enjoy and those I must endure and sadly this particular episode concentrated heavily on the latter.

• Upvote 1

At the end of season 1, Dany emerged from the flames, vowing to build a navy and lead a Dothraki army, with dragons, across the sea and to conquer Westeros. Here, 5 seasons and hours of screentime later, Dany emerges from the flames, vowing to build a navy and lead a Dothraki army, with dragons, across the sea to conquer Westeros. It's one of the slowest moving plotlines in TV history, which wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't such a spoilt, entitled, unlikeable cunt.

The Sam and Gilly storyline could, with minor dialogue and costume changes, slot straight into Emmerdale and not look at all out of place.

Arya's story has been a 30 second training montage stretched out to about an hour of screentime. Not to mention the 5-10 minutes spent showing a medieval-style play which even the characters in it think is shit.

I suppose we finally had some movement on the men in robes, with sticks, who emerged from nowhere to take over the kingdom, at least.

At this point, the show has become a mix of characters and plotlines I enjoy and those I must endure and sadly this particular episode concentrated heavily on the latter.

I have binge watched it over the last few weeks and am so far up to episode 8 of series 5. I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. it peaked a while ago and if it where not for a couple of interesting storylines I would have ceased watching completely a few days ago. The first season was amazing and promised so much, there's been very little of that promise since and once I reach the end of season 6 I can put it all to bed safe in the knowledge that I wont be getting hassled from everyone who hasn't discovered that there are tits on the internet and you don't have to watch an hour of this to see them.

Does anyone else think that the High Sparrow is far too clever for Cersei and a right sneaky bastard  to boot?

I reckon that Cersei is going to bite off more than she can chew. She's going to choose trial by combat at her trial due to the fact she can use Frankenstein The Mountain. The High Sparrow has already brain washed Magaery and in doing so made sure she got Tommen to side with her and himself when Jamie Lannister and his mob turned up. I have a feeling he is way ahead of the game and when Cersei and The Moutain tuen up for the Trial by Combat his opponent will be a brainwashed Tommen or maybe Loras Tyrell which would certainly kill off any alliance between High Garden and Kings Landing. 

The trial by combat will see The Hound come back. You can take that to the bank.

I also don't think Margery has been brainwashed. She was doing what she had to do to protect herself, not knowing anybody else would turn up to rescue her. She's a clever bastard she is.

I thought it was a brilliant episode. Okay, there were no brutal action scenes, but there was a lot of development.

Guest Pistonbroke

Wow, people binge watch 5+ series of something, work out they don't like the direction it is taking after series 1 but still watch it all. Weird World. 

Guest Pistonbroke

The trial by combat will see The Hound come back. You can take that to the bank.

I also don't think Margery has been brainwashed. She was doing what she had to do to protect herself, not knowing anybody else would turn up to rescue her. She's a clever bastard she is.

I thought it was a brilliant episode. Okay, there were no brutal action scenes, but there was a lot of development.

Yeah Margery is being clever and probably using the High Septon to get back at Cersei. Not so sure about "The Hound" coming back but you never know with Martin. I still think it will be Tommen who she and the High Septon use for the trial by combat, but it is of course just a guess or hunch. 

I enjoyed the last episode to, just like reading the books you have to accept that a story with so many characters and plots needs to be built up, it can't be action all the time. If I wanted more action than substance I wouldn't be watching a fantasy series. 

Wow, people binge watch 5+ series of something, work out they don't like the direction it is taking after series 1 but still watch it all. Weird World. 

Wow people watch one series of something then work out they don't like the rest of it. I have three kids that are on and on at me to watch this amazing show. I'm under orders to get up to date so they can converse about the latest happenings in front of me. They also promised me it gets better, they lied. 

Of course i could sack the kids off because some halfwit on the internet thinks differently?

• Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Wow people watch one series of something then work out they don't like the rest of it. I have three kids that are on and on at me to watch this amazing show. I'm under orders to get up to date so they can converse about the latest happenings in front of me. They also promised me it gets better, they lied. 

Of course i could sack the kids off because some halfwit on the internet thinks differently?

Oh dear, It's just my opinion and it hardly makes me a halfwit. Would you binge watch a back catalogue of that Towie shit because the kids wanted to converse with you about the latest happenings? If you don't like something I don't see the point in watching it, plus I'm sure your kids would understand, that's just a convenient excuse on your behalf. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fuck off, you low rent Mark Kermode. 

• Upvote 2

Surely the High Sparrow can't choose Tommen for the trial by combat, him being the King and all? It would make more sense to me if they chose Jamie.

Was gutted that Margery didn't make the walk of atonement, Natalie Dormer is just lovely. Agree with others that she has not been brainwashed, she definitely has a plan.

Also, where have all the tits gone??

that she got a lot of training in the dark arts of killing people. She's going to be a little killing machine now. I'm looking forward to see where she goes & who she's after next.

We learnt that she killed one person (while training, ignoring the list), and failed to kill the second because it turns out she's not overly keen on killing people without reason. That doesn't make her a killing machine it just moves her character back to the same point she was at when she was last with the hound.

That's not to say she won't suddenly become an indiscriminate killing machine for story purposes but it'll makes no sense.

Surely the High Sparrow can't choose Tommen for the trial by combat, him being the King and all? It would make more sense to me if they chose Jamie.

Was gutted that Margery didn't make the walk of atonement, Natalie Dormer is just lovely. Agree with others that she has not been brainwashed, she definitely has a plan.

Also, where have all the tits gone??

Although they could choose Tommen I think Jamie is the choice they will make.  However that witch told Cersei that all three of her children would die so it's possible.  If this is the case she'd have already instructed the FrankenMountain to destroy whoever they put in front of him and wouldn't be able to call him back with no choice to watch it play out. 

So Benjen Stark is part white walker now, right? His skin had the start of the look of a white walker.

Seems so with the Gayelfs stabbing him with the Dragon Glass.  Maybe as he'd already been stabbed with the ice sword this sort of stopped his transformation?  Like pouring white wine on a red wine spill on a cream carpet. 

We learnt that she killed one person (while training, ignoring the list), and failed to kill the second because it turns out she's not overly keen on killing people without reason. That doesn't make her a killing machine it just moves her character back to the same point she was at when she was last with the hound.

That's not to say she won't suddenly become an indiscriminate killing machine for story purposes but it'll makes no sense.

I doubt they'd shoehorn in anything indiscriminate about her killing - it'll be the list, one after the other once she gets back to Westeros.

The faceless men come across as a bit dickish to be honest.  OK if you're wanting to be Euthanised you can do go to them and get it done but on the other hand they're just assassins with a vague leaning towards religious ideology.  

It does show that she can't let go of the past, that she is full of vengeance. I also think there is more to develop. She's not just going to kill the waif and run off, there is more to the dynamic.