You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Doubletist.

If it was some kind of US sportswear you'd be lapping it up.

I really enjoyed the books - read them all back-to-back lat year and am now waiting for the author to get his arse in gear and finish the series.

I will read the rest but I found Martin's repeated descriptions tiresome especially with house sigils and clothing. We need to know the sigils of the main players not Sir Thomas of house Whogivesafuck. You could cut out 10-15% of the material easily by removing that kind of thing.

I will read the rest but I found Martin's repeated descriptions tiresome especially with house sigils and clothing. We need to know the sigils of the main players not Sir Thomas of house Whogivesafuck. You could cut out 10-15% of the material easily by removing that kind of thing.

You're right of course. It can be a bit like trainspotting for mediaevalists.

But who wants to be reading a mere 600 pages when you can be massaging a 800 page whopper in bed at night?

I read the first two books but found the writing a bit plain. There's only so many times I want to read about what sort of doublet Theon is wearing.

A fluffing technique stolen from Robert Jordan and that Dragon reborn nonsense. It's worth reading just to see what kinds of techniques authors use to fill 500 pages with no content.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping this, I have stuck this in the book thread but its prob more relevant here.

Wouldn't mind another fantasy series, as long as magic is subtle, the characters are believable and aren't easily identifiable as good or evil. Essentially I just want to read the winds of winter but i'll obviously have to wait. I don't think anything can touch GRR Martin in this genre.

Have just finished season 2 and found it simply breathtaking. The production values on each episode are superior to most films. HBO just astound me.

Two observations though:

Jaime Lannister gives me serious hair envy. I've never had hair envy before.

The redheaded wildling is strangely arousing.

"That ya born in me arse?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxh2DxgXPQ6dgWvzx8R6JwsSS0rx-mH3sSZPUUd9wE3lyfzgQoj7sbZzC7

Yes, yest it is.

Blackwater, episode nine, was one of the best things I saw last year. Utterly brilliant hour of television.

Agree with this. The change of pace, to focus on just one storyline for that particular week, made it feel like something truly special.

Guest Pistonbroke

Jonathan Ross is interviewing them soon....gonna tell me everything what i already know due to reading the books in advance, but should be interesting.

My cousins 14 yr old daughter desperately wants to watch it. Should I lend it to her?

I said I would but having watched series 1 back again having small doubts. She's seen lots of 18 movies but this is a different kettle of fish

Hmmm, with the amount of shagging and muff in it? Paramilitary units of social services should be on you. There's birds walking around with jizz on their face in it.

Hmmm, with the amount of shagging and muff in it? Paramilitary units of social services should be on you. There's birds walking around with jizz on their face in it.

its a difficult one. She's very grown up and rounded lass. Plus although the sex, language and violence is extreme it is merely a portrayal of the time so not done in a overly perverse way.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah... fuck, this is the first time I've missed having Sky.

Anyone know if I can stream this anywhere?

Do you know anyone who has sky go?

I haven't got sky atlantic but have got my sisters sky go passwords and can just watch it on the laptop. You are allowed 2 devices per account so it shouldn't be a problem someone letting you use them, its not like you are depriving them.

I love the books, but they are a bit long-winded at times. The TV series has been brilliantly weighted in my opinion, and Tyrion in particular has been much better cast than Martin's description of him. Normally I am a big fan of books over adaptations, but I think they've done really well in this case.

I love the books, but they are a bit long-winded at times. The TV series has been brilliantly weighted in my opinion, and Tyrion in particular has been much better cast than Martin's description of him. Normally I am a big fan of books over adaptations, but I think they've done really well in this case.

I can't figure out what to make of the mentalist who writes the books. He's often interviewed on the DVDs and he seems to be blagging quite a lot, like he didn't really write them or at best simply made them up as he went along and that people are pushing him for exposition when he doesn't really have any and was never expecting to have to deliver any.

"Who are the white walkers?"

"The whitewalkers are white but some of them are black, they originated on the isle of billymebob and came over with the first kings, who were actually the second kings."