You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ball playing CB`s who is also dominant in the air.

Code

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only issue with Hangeland is that he gives me flashbacks to the Bay City Rollers...

My friends went to see the said performers in a concert. They asked me, I politely declined by telling them to fuck off.

Yes he is, one of the few clever things Hodgson has done was to play Hangeland at CM when at Viking so he should improve his passing game.

He is steady and calm on the ball another thing he has in common with Hyypia, he can aslo bring it forward at ease.

I think you're right here, he'd be my preference before all the Shawcrosses and Cahills of this world. I doubt that that it will happen, though, Hangeland does not fit in with the profile talked about. The veteran CB is our own, we have two 25 year olds or so, now we need a replacement 25 year old or a future CB to form a partnership with Kelly.

I don't think there is one. I can't think of one. Cahill is the best shout imo that is within our range... he's not a slouch on the ball, he's plenty mobile enough and he's dominant in the air.

Hangeland is too old & slow

Hangeland is 29, he is the type of player who easily will be on top of his game when at 34.

He is 1,94 so he will always be a bit slow on the first yards, but his long legs make up for it and when he first gets going he is not slow at all.

His positioning is great and he is a beast in the air, he is the main reason both Fulham and Norway concedes as few goals as they do and he is easily among the 5 best CB`s in the league.

I said we should have signed him 5 years ago and I`d say it again.

I have a feeling some of those in this thread have not had the chance to watch him as close as me though so its understandable that those have not noticed all his qualities.

He's a decent player Code but he shouldn't be what we are looking at now. I agree he would have made a decent signing a couple of years ago... As well as height we really need pace at the back, doesn't have to be lightening quick just not to be left for dead like all our CB's coming up against quick forwards.

I'd love to keep Agger as he's a class player but his injury record is a joke. We should be looking to off load Srktel, Agger & the Greek, bringing in 2 to replace prooting wilson or kelly to 4th choice.

He's not had a good season in Germany but Kjaer would still be a good buy. Same with Garay @ Madrid.

I dont want us to sell Agger either, simply because when he is playing he is doing the job required.

We need two new CB`s though totally agree, I just think we need someone who like Agger is calm on the ball who can take his role in the team when he is out and by being good in the air can make a good partnership with him if both play.

Our new CB need to be great in the air though, thats a must, we have one who is good now, but he is a liability on the ground so he should never really play for us again after his latest disastrous performances.

I dont want us to sell Agger either, simply because when he is playing he is doing the job required.

We need two new CB`s though totally agree, I just think we need someone who like Agger is calm on the ball who can take his role in the team when he is out and by being good in the air can make a good partnership with him if both play.

Our new CB need to be great in the air though, thats a must, we have one who is good now, but he is a liability on the ground so he should never really play for us again after his latest disastrous performances.

Problem is Code is just never fit. We look a much better team with him in the side but there has to be a point when enough is enough. We are probably paying him something like 200-300k a game. We simply can't afford to have sick notes in the squad.

We need to get rid of the shite, reduce the size of the squad but hugely increase its quality. We cannot afford to have a big, quality squad. Its one or the other imo. Great but small or big and average.

We need one that would be 1st choice, or competing with Skrtel and Agger for 1st choice spot. We´ve got good youngsters to compete for the 4th/5th spot.

Soto gives heart, but is simply not good enough and Jamie is fading away with every season and definitely should not be 1st choice next season.

We would be fine with New 1st choice CB/ Skrtel/Agger/Carragher and the 2nd string of players Wilson/Ayala/Kelly.

But there are just 2 names which are realistic and maybe better than our current options and that is Mertesacker and Cahill.

I don´t think the likes of Shawcross, Dann, or even Hangeland are better than Skrtel or Carragher.

Hangeland is 29, he is the type of player who easily will be on top of his game when at 34.

He is 1,94 so he will always be a bit slow on the first yards, but his long legs make up for it and when he first gets going he is not slow at all.

His positioning is great and he is a beast in the air, he is the main reason both Fulham and Norway concedes as few goals as they do and he is easily among the 5 best CB`s in the league.

I said we should have signed him 5 years ago and I`d say it again.

I have a feeling some of those in this thread have not had the chance to watch him as close as me though so its understandable that those have not noticed all his qualities.

Luiz

Kompany

Vidic

Terry

Ferdinand

Luiz

Kompany

Vidic

Terry

Ferdinand

I dont think any of those players are better than Hangeland, a few of them are on the same level but not better.

Ferdinand played 13 PL games last season and 15 so far this season and he turns 33 this year, he is finished.

Terry? You got to be kidding me?

Vidic? He has obvious flaws and has been too many players bitch the last few years, his reputation still stands though obviously.

Kompany? I see them as equal.

Luis? Difficult to tell, but not been too impressed with him defensively to be honest.

I dont think any of those players are better than Hangeland, a few of them are on the same level but not better.

Ferdinand played 13 PL games last season and 15 so far this season and he turns 33 this year, he is finished.

Vidic? He has obvious flaws and has been too many players bitch the last few years, his reputation still stands though obviously.

Luis? Difficult to tell, but not been too impressed with him defensively to be honest.

Luiz is not better than him? Nor is Kompany?

Vidic, Terry and ferdinand whilst all being pricks are all better than Hangaland.

Defend.

If you say it enough times I`m sure you will start to believe it.

Lets use Terry as an example an average defender who has been carried by his different partners through his career, his positioning is questionable, he does not have pace and he is easily turned.

He throws himself into tackles though and score a few goals by being fearless in attacking the ball in the box so he must be a national hero and a great defender.

Well he`s not, he is good, but not great.

So you're saying that Brede Hangeland is the best centre back in the Premier League?

If you say it enough times I`m sure you will start to believe it.

Lets use Terry as an example an average defender who has been carried by his different partners through his career, his positioning is questionable, he does not have pace and he is easily turned.

He throws himself into tackles though and score a few goals by being fearless in attacking the ball in the box so he must be a national hero and a great defender.

Well he`s not, he is good, but not great.

I agree he aint great, the premier league is woefully short of world class central defenders. He's better than hangaland though.

I think we should start playing Wisdom, get Ayala back, and then buy two centre backs and sell Agger, Skrtel, Soto and Wilson in a 'four-for-one' deal of £5m to anyone who gives a fuck.

I'd rather we looked in the Championship for a couple of new centrebacks. Anyone with any ability in the Premiership is going to be out of our reach most likely because the top four/five will also be in the market to strengthen where possible.

Contrary to popular belief, the Championship is not populated by the physically disabled.

So you're saying that Brede Hangeland is the best centre back in the Premier League?

I have difficulties naming a stand out CB to be honest, there are a group of very good ones and Hangeland belongs in that group, for one he was the only CB from the PL who was nominated in UEFA Team of the year 2010.

Luis might become the best, but then he needs to calm down a bit because right now he is giving away too many stupid fouls.

Carvalho has been the stand out CB in the PL for some time, but he`s gone and no one has taken that throne as far as I see it.

I have difficulties naming a stand out CB to be honest, there are a group of very good ones and Hangeland belongs in that group, for one he was the only CB from the PL who was nominated in UEFA Team of the year 2010.

Luis might become the best, but then he needs to calm down a bit because right now he is giving away too many stupid fouls.

Carvalho has been the stand out CB in the PL for some time, but he`s gone and no one has taken that throne as far as I see it.

Whilst I would agree that Carvalho is an exceptional defender who is far superior to Terry. The criteria you use is a bit bonkers about Hanngeland. "He was the only defender from England nominated for the Uefa team of 2010".

Although I am sure Terry has been in the final 11 on several occasions previously. For the record your friend Kuyt was also nominated at right midfield, him and Adam Johnson. So by your criteria that mans Kuyt is an exceptional rm according to your rational.

Whilst I would agree that Carvalho is an exceptional defender who is far superior to Terry. The criteria you use is a bit bonkers about Hanngeland. "He was the only defender from England nominated for the Uefa team of 2010".

Although I am sure Terry has been in the final 11 on several occasions previously. For the record your friend Kuyt was also nominated at right midfield, him and Adam Johnson. So by your criteria that mans Kuyt is an exceptional rm according to your rational.

Thats not my reasoning, its just an example, Oknow Kuyt was nominated and I knew someone would bring it up.

Hangeland reads the game exceptionally well, he is a beast in the air, he is good with the ball at his feet and wants to use the ball from the back.

He is not the fastest over the first yards due to his height, but his long legs makes up for that, he is fast enough over 10-20 yards and his tackling is also good.

There are no real weaknesses in his game and like Hughes said a few weeks ago, maybe you have to work with him to understand what an exceptional player he is?

Code to be fair, Hangelaand is a good defender, but he's nowhere near your opinion of him and the teams that he plays with defend on the 18 yrd line to compensate for his lack of pace, especially on the turn.

I think that the main attribute we want in the new CB(s) is pace so that we can defend higher up the pitch and play a more expansive type of football. If we are to go British I'd definitely go for Cahill but in my opinion we need 2. A Cahill type and a less aggressive type that has pace and can play the ball out comfortably.

I hope that every player we buy in the summer has pace because it's the biggest weakness in our squad at the moment.

Dunno if anyone's mentioned him and not sure whether he'd come or cost but how about Luisao at Benfica? I remember Benitez was quite interested a few times but if never happened, for me the best centre back we've come up against in recent seasons in Europe, back in the days when we had a competent and firing attack as opposed to the more clueless attacking we've seen since those heady days.....anyone else rate him?

Get Haageland in as well, closest thing to Sami around, a cross between Sami and Colin Hendry, Kenny will know, keep the rest as backup, dont see any reason to sell Skrtl and Agger you need at least 3 centre backs and they are still fairly young. Maybe sell the greek on depending on how they assess the youngsters progress, although surely we wouldn't need to sell him?

I personally don't rate our young scot Wilson as anything special, for me he has been played out of position and to be fair I've not seen enough to make a proper judgement. Still, seems to have a bit of Dominic Matteo/ Harkness about him-not quite dominant enough, not mobile enough to play the full back role, too good for Rangers in any case.

Then we have the likes of Ayala coming back, Kelly would make a great centre back, not too soon though, I like watching him maraud down the right, and then behind them, the likes of Wisdom and so on.

Depends on how much money we get at the end of the day but we shouldn't skimp on our centre backs. We haven't had a decent defence for so long I've almost forgotten what it's like, as bad as our attacking play is it's no wonder the way the defence concedes sometimes, they must be petrified to start an attack. We need to put a new solid base to build on and then in front of that you can start fannying about like Aquilani.