You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst stand-up comedian ever

silverlining

Kevin Bridges is quite good, I'm not a huge fan of stand-up, I would have loved to have seen Billy Conolly and Jerry Seinfeld in their prime though. 

I know a lot don't like him but I loved Dennis Leary back in the day too, first time I saw No Cure for Cancer was in a pub on my mate's Ipod back in the early naughties and everyone was looking at me because I was hyperventilating.

16 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Dennis Leary is like a Bill Hicks covers comedian. 

He ripped off Asshole from Louis CK too. I'm always amazed he managed to get away with his outright plagiarism- I suppose with Hicks dying coinciding with Leary's ascent, he had enough power and fame to avoid any consequences. 

Can anyone of them even be classed as comedians now.

They get a golden contract on these terrible panel shows like mock the week, would I lie to you etc without ever saying anything funny and just get recycled between shows every other week.

Dont get me started on that 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. That John Richardson is one unfunny cunt and the other talents are even worse. Used to think Sean Locke was ok until I realised he was just more likeable than the rest of them and wasn’t funny either.

Some gravy train to get onboard if you’re mates with the clique though.

Stand up comedy died in the 90’s

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Wouldn't say he's the worst by a long stretch but has anyone ever actually heard that Romesh Ranganathan make a joke? Just seems like some kind of Jack Dee-style shtick.

He's mildly amusing in the way you'd expect any of your mates to be, but he's definitely not a good comedian.  In fact I find his schtick incredibly annoying.  Jack Dee I quite like, I think he's actually witty as well as being an ok purveyor of jokes.

• Upvote 1

Had the misfortune to sit through one of the local Liverpool scenes top quality comedian Frankie Allan a couple of years ago at a family do.

First 5 minutes were quite good but I’ve never seen material age so fast after that brief spell. 

I swear down that he was doing jokes about the gulf war and what to do when they catch Bin Laden, despite him being dead for years.

No one feared getting up and going the lav as half the tables were talking amongst themselves halfway through his act. 

However, Frankie was like prime 80’s Eddie Murphy compared to Benidorm legend Tony Scott.

Was on a stag do and one of the older fellas had gone on all day about how we had to go and see this fella as he was hilarious. Alarm bells were ringing by this point but we agreed to go.

For the 1st 5 minutes this clown kept going on about how none of us had the right to be offended as comedy isn’t meant to cause offence. 

He then spent the next 10 minutes picking on a young girl sat near the front about her looks without any laughs and her fella turned the tables and took the piss out of him and his pathetic pony tail and Tone just wasn’t having any of that. The nastiness spewed out and the couple and their mate got up and left with the insults flying after them.

He then turned on a table of Merry women who tore him to shreds and had us all pissing ourselves. 

He stopped the show and got security to take them out. 

Shame he was the only one who held the right to be offended by comedy. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Stewart Lee and Daniel Kitson don't do panel shows. 

Just for balance, neither does Lee Hurst. Well, not any more. 

Lee (Stewart not Hurst) did try once but couldn't keep up.

I think inferior comedians who are good off the cuff tend to come across much better on panels than they actually are. For example, Ross Noble can be quite funny on HIGNFY because most of his material tends to be improvised anyway, whilst Kevin Bridges, who I would rate much higher than Noble barely chips in with anything. Lee Mack is excellent on WILTY because he is tailor made for it. He had some good material early on, but I remember his later stuff was unwatchable.

Stuart Lee was on MTW I think and they visible tried to set him up with jokes, but he is just not that type of comedian. Sean Locke is usually great value on panels because he is good at playing off someone, same as Mack.

The most unfunny comedian overall has to be Marcus Brigstocke.

A lot of these observational type comedians are just shite I find, I cant help but compare them to Peter Kay who, in my opinion, wipes the floor with the lot of them.

I was trying to find the words to describe some of the comedians today, metropolitan types talking shite and the mrs summed it up for me "they're a bit too London arent they?"

Been quite fortunate, seen a lot of stand up, some great, some average, but only ever seen one person bomb completely.

An Aussie comic, name escapes me, was doing a charity gig in the afternoon, and he was terrible, truly bad, monotone, no charisma, just not what you’d expect. Anyhows about fifteen minutes in to his set apathy has kicked in and people are talking amongst themselves and tuning out, but he tells a genuinely funny joke and he finally gets a laugh. He rolls another couple of shit ones off and then says ‘well here’s one that’s worked’ and retells the same fucking joke! 

Someone, under their breath says ‘oh, fuck off’ he hears it, says ‘yeah, I probably should’ and just walks off stage.

Brutal.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Lee (Stewart not Hurst) did try once but couldn't keep up.

I think inferior comedians who are good off the cuff tend to come across much better on panels than they actually are. For example, Ross Noble can be quite funny on HIGNFY because most of his material tends to be improvised anyway, whilst Kevin Bridges, who I would rate much higher than Noble barely chips in with anything. Lee Mack is excellent on WILTY because he is tailor made for it. He had some good material early on, but I remember his later stuff was unwatchable.

Stuart Lee was on MTW I think and they visible tried to set him up with jokes, but he is just not that type of comedian. Sean Locke is usually great value on panels because he is good at playing off someone, same as Mack.

The most unfunny comedian overall has to be Marcus Brigstocke.

Jimmy Carr is another one who is tailor-made for hosting or guesting on panel shows.  His stand-up stuff often has a lot of funny material, but his delivery is shocking: it's like he's just reading an autocue.

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Stewart Lee and Daniel Kitson don't do panel shows. 

Just for balance, neither does Lee Hurst. Well, not any more. 

Stewart Lee has spent all the time he could have been on TV shows eating.  His new film is good though. Once you get passed the ‘fuck, what happened to you?’  

4 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Maybe it's my old age, or just plain old sexism, but with the exception of Kath WhatsherfaceprettyfitfromCanada I've not seen a single decent female stand up for years. 

Whenever one comes on the Telly I brace myself for the diet, what are men like, my arse or period jokes and am never disappointed. MrsD used to say I was just being an arsehole but now she even agrees they're all rehashing the same shit jokes. 

I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here.  Because you're bracing yourself for "women's things" as soon as anything like it gets mentioned - even if it's 59 minutes of biting political satire and one reference to tampons - you'll react like "I FUCKING KNEW IT! HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

Two of the best stand-up shows I've seen on telly in the last year were Michelle Wolf's "Nice Lady" and Sara Pascoe's "Lads, Lads, Lads".  Both brilliant and both wide-ranging, but both did, y'know, mention things that go on below the waist; there's no need to let that ruin the show.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here.  Because you're bracing yourself for "women's things" as soon as anything like it gets mentioned - even if it's 59 minutes of biting political satire and one reference to tampons - you'll react like "I FUCKING KNEW IT! HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

Two of the best stand-up shows I've seen on telly in the last year were Michelle Wolf's "Nice Lady" and Sara Pascoe's "Lads, Lads, Lads".  Both brilliant and both wide-ranging, but both did, y'know, mention things that go on below the waist; there's no need to let that ruin the show.

I've seen neither of those but will check them out if they're on Netflix etc? 

Most of stand ups I see are on Appollo or panel shows and IMO they all fail to get a titter out of me most times l. Confirmation bias? Probably some of that. Thing is, they can tell as many jam-rag and jokes at men's expense as they want and I'll enjoy them if they're actually funny jokes, mostly they are not though. Chip Butty mentioned Brand who is probably the best comedienne I can think of historically. 

Am I right ladies? 

59 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Stuart Lee was on MTW I think and they visible tried to set him up with jokes, but he is just not that type of comedian. .

I've seen his violent, drunken harridan of a wife on there, too.  She didn't come across as much more comfortable than he was.

4 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

My old firm worked on his divorce case, valuing the rights to the books. Mrs Walliams is now a wealthy women and an absolute stunner. He prefers chaps which is fair enough. Somebody is going to marry his ex though and basically win the lottery of life. 

It's obvious that he does but do you have more evidence than just rumours?