You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst stand-up comedian ever

silverlining

9 hours ago, Total Longo said:

It would, just occasionally, be nice to watch a panel show that didn't feature Katherine Ryan or Romesh Ranganathan. 

Or any television for that matter.

I'd shag Katherine Ryan into the ground. 

Romesh though, how many tv's do we have to go through until he fucks off? 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not a huge fan of Hicks myself 

* ducks

He's another one who wasn't funny.

He got up on stage & told a load of home truths. Quite why he's even classed as a comedian is beyond me, I like what he's saying but it's not funny.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Not a huge fan of Hicks myself 

* ducks

1 hour ago, Mook said:

He's another one who wasn't funny.

He got up on stage & told a load of home truths. Quite why he's even classed as a comedian is beyond me, I like what he's saying but it's not funny.

If I didn't hold you two in such massive forum esteem,  you'd both be dead to me right now.

• Upvote 1

The worst stand up comedian can be found on Live From the Apollo; any programme, whenever it's on, you will find the worst comedian ever. They're all different comedians too, but when you're watching it you'll swear that you've just seen the worst comedian ever. Every programme, there's going to be one unfunny, deluded, full of misplaced confidence fucker showing you why they're the worst stand up comedian ever. Amazingly, unless it's typical BBC history editing, the audience always seems to find these mirth murderers hysterically funny. Don't get it.

• Upvote 3

The older I get, the less funny I find stand up. And obviously, by painfully contrived extension, panel shows. 

I can't remember the last time I even cracked a smile. It's like I've lost the capacity to suspend whatever it is you need to suspend to convince yourself that these people are funny. Because it's a pretence. Watch how people force themselves to respond to it. It's only funny if they want it to be funny.

Now, obviously there have been exceptions over the years. Rare artists. Rare geniuses. But there are precisely none of them in this country right now, so far as I can see. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, torahboy said:

The worst stand up comedian can be found on Live From the Apollo; any programme, whenever it's on, you will find the worst comedian ever. They're all different comedians too, but when you're watching it you'll swear that you've just seen the worst comedian ever. Every programme, there's going to be one unfunny, deluded, full of misplaced confidence fucker showing you why they're the worst stand up comedian ever. Amazingly, unless it's typical BBC history editing, the audience always seems to find these mirth murderers hysterically funny. Don't get it.

Too true. 

On 20/02/2021 at 14:56, AngryofTuebrook said:

I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here.  Because you're bracing yourself for "women's things" as soon as anything like it gets mentioned - even if it's 59 minutes of biting political satire and one reference to tampons - you'll react like "I FUCKING KNEW IT! HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

Two of the best stand-up shows I've seen on telly in the last year were Michelle Wolf's "Nice Lady" and Sara Pascoe's "Lads, Lads, Lads".  Both brilliant and both wide-ranging, but both did, y'know, mention things that go on below the waist; there's no need to let that ruin the show.

Fucking Pascoe, like shit a field on everything on tv. I guess the talent pool for funny comedians is just her then. Not that I find almost anything she says amusing. 

4 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

The older I get, the less funny I find stand up. And obviously, by painfully contrived extension, panel shows. 

I can't remember the last time I even cracked a smile. It's like I've lost the capacity to suspend whatever it is you need to suspend to convince yourself that these people are funny. Because it's a pretence. Watch how people force themselves to respond to it. It's only funny if they want it to be funny.

Now, obviously there have been exceptions over the years. Rare artists. Rare geniuses. But there are precisely none of them in this country right now, so far as I can see. 

Maybe because as men we finally reach adulthood in our mid to late 50s. So rather than laugh at some situation we think, well if you'd have done this or that you wouldn't have found yourself in that situation young man. 

20 hours ago, Total Longo said:

It would, just occasionally, be nice to watch a panel show that didn't feature Katherine Ryan or Romesh Ranganathan. 

Or any television for that matter.

In fairness, the telly companies are trying to freshen it up by putting Tom Allen, Suzie Ruffell and Sophie Duker on everything instead. 

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In fairness, the telly companies are trying to freshen it up by putting Tom Allen, Suzie Ruffell and Sophie Duker on everything instead. 

I musn't have watched much telly recently then as i don't even know who the last two* are. I wish i could say the same about Tom Allen, but sadly i can't.

*Raids google

7 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Nothing is ever funny if you don't want it to be funny. It's a precondition for enjoying comedy.

• Upvote 1

On 21/02/2021 at 03:56, AngryofTuebrook said:

I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here.  Because you're bracing yourself for "women's things" as soon as anything like it gets mentioned - even if it's 59 minutes of biting political satire and one reference to tampons - you'll react like "I FUCKING KNEW IT! HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

Two of the best stand-up shows I've seen on telly in the last year were Michelle Wolf's "Nice Lady" and Sara Pascoe's "Lads, Lads, Lads".  Both brilliant and both wide-ranging, but both did, y'know, mention things that go on below the waist; there's no need to let that ruin the show.

Theres old inclusive Mal, knocking me off my chair again.

"Like hey, gosh fellas, sisters are funny too y'know. Let's break out some quiche and watch Amy Schumer's latest 5 hour HBO special, 'My Fanny Stinks'. It'll be a laugh riot."

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I am equally astounded that you give yourself the user name of an individual who was the catalyst for an ideology that has led to 100 million deaths in the 20th century. What larks. How funny and clever you are to use his real name. At least he wasn't a Tory though, that wouldn't be as funny presumably. 

Touched a nerve have we! If only he could have matched Maggie's level of destruction!