You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jobcentres 'tricking' people out of benefits to cut costs

JER

This would only concern me if the people being shafted were genuine job seekers, i.e. people who would be willing to work anywhere rather than staying on benefits. But you find there are so many people out there, even those with no qualifications or worthwhile job experience to speak of who are turning down perfectly good jobs because they consider such menial jobs to be beneath them. It's very right to strip such people of their benefits.

Beggars can't be choosers and if an unemployed person thinks he or she is too good to be sweeping roads or picking fruit, then by all means take away their unemployment benefits. I don't see why I or all other taxpayers out there should fund the lives of people who don't want to work.

On the odd occasion that they can actually be bothered to do a jobsearch for her, the jobs they pick out are invariably ones which are entirely unsuitable eg forklift truck driver (she is a law graduate with a background in insurance).

It could be me reading this the wrong way but are you saying she would not do this or similar jobs if they were offered?

Statistics from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) show the total number of cases where people have lost their benefits has soared since the beginning of 2010 to 75,000 in October, the latest month available. The figures also reveal the number of claimants with registered disabilities being cut off has more than doubled to almost 20,000 over the same period

A quick Google search establishes that the UK has 8.6 million registered disabled people and 6 million ppeople claiming benefits. Thus, the above figures amount to 0.23% and 1.25% of the respective populations. That hardly supports the ruthless slash and burn campaign alledged by the Guardian.

No, I don't believe a word of it. Not because I think the Guardian has concocted the whole thing (although it quite clearly has), but because I would have trouble believing that your average Jobcentre employee was competent enough to pull off something like this.

Like lots of unemployed people, my girlfriend attends the Jobcentre every fortnight (only signing on for NI credits - as someone with no source of income who actually wants to work, that's all she's eligible for). Almost without exception she has to actually request that they do a jobsearch for her, and they never, ever want to see the evidence of jobs she's applied for, even though she always brings it with her.

On the odd occasion that they can actually be bothered to do a jobsearch for her, the jobs they pick out are invariably ones which are entirely unsuitable eg forklift truck driver (she is a law graduate with a background in insurance).

She's been told numerous times that she's eligible for tax credits (she isn't) because they're too useless to even operate the tax credit calculator. And their attitude stinks to high heaven.

It's got to the point where you begin to wonder if they're taking the piss because surely nobody could be this incompetent by accident. You could write a book about it.

Nothing new this, my first job was the Jobcentre, I had two separate contracts over a 12 month period in 2000-2001.

Just out of interest, how long had she been signing on before they offered her this sort of job?

If she looks at her JSA (which she had so sign and agree to) it states, that after 13 weeks of signing on to find work in her field of expertise, she can be offered any work.

Which means, if she cant find a job that she is qualified to do, she must be willing to take any job that is available.

Shit rule I know, but thats the rules that the government make up, not the people in the job centre, although to be fair, there should be a bit of sense when it comes to offering people work.

Like not offering what you would consider a blokes job to a clerical woman as such (Not wanting to sound sexist at all) but you wouldnt put a clerically skilled woman down as a bricky for example)

It could be me reading this the wrong way but are you saying she would not do this or similar jobs if they were offered?

I suspect he was trying to make the point that she doesn't have a hope in hell of getting a job like that. I'm assuming she won't have a forklift licence either.

My experience is people don't want to employ people who are "above" the job, I actually have a forklift licence for reasons outside of the employed jobs I have had. Sadly with IT and Electronics qualifications that would be deemed beyond being a forklift driver. I got knocked back from being a shelf stacker because I was "too qualified", the guy interviewing said he expected me to leave at the first opportunity so it wasn't worth employing me. He is right as well as I probably would have been out at the first chance of a different job.

A friend of mine that I used to work with applied for a job in a factory putting lights together, he applied through an agency who put him through for an interview only for him to get knocked back because he used to design lights. The guy interviewing him couldn't understand why he wanted the job.

I suspect he was trying to make the point that she doesn't have a hope in hell of getting a job like that. I'm assuming she won't have a forklift licence either.

My experience is people don't want to employ people who are "above" the job, I actually have a forklift licence for reasons outside of the employed jobs I have had. Sadly with IT and Electronics qualifications that would be deemed beyond being a forklift driver. I got knocked back from being a shelf stacker because I was "too qualified", the guy interviewing said he expected me to leave at the first opportunity so it wasn't worth employing me. He is right as well as I probably would have been out at the first chance of a different job.

A friend of mine that I used to work with applied for a job in a factory putting lights together, he applied through an agency who put him through for an interview only for him to get knocked back because he used to design lights. The guy interviewing him couldn't understand why he wanted the job.

Sadly, another one of the shite rules that have to be followed is, you have to apply for the job, if you get it or not doesnt matter, but not applying, is the same as saying you wont even try.

Guest PurpleNose
The Guardian article is a pack of lies.

There are no targets to sanction people benefits, but there are no shortage of willing punters ready to give it a go.

It's piss easy to secure your JSA :

1. Turn up on time

2. Keep a log of everything you do to look for work. Spec approaches count.

3. Participate in all the mandatory activities.

Whether these 3 steps moves anyone closer to employment is highly debateable, but they do secure entitlement to JSA.

The amount of people who abjectly and laughably fail or refuse to comply with those simple rules should be where the outrage is directed.

One is certainly true. Although you just re-arrange signing on.

Two doesn't have to be. I think the minimum is logging three occasions where you have looked for work. They can include reading a newspaper. I can remember when I was on JSA briefly I sometimes filled the booklet in on the bus to the Job centre. Don't get me wrong, I was looking for work, but if I forgot to fill in the booklet, it really didn't matter.

Regarding three, there weren't any mandatory activities. None.

The supervisors couldn't care less if I found a job or not. They, like I, realised the entire process was pointless. They weren't helping me to find a job, they were just giving me a bit of cash because I didn't have one.

This was all three or four years ago, but as I have a few mates on JSA now, I know very little has changed. They're not people trying to con the system. They're just, like a lot of the country, without a job. They don't like the situation. Its depressing, and frankly embarrassing.

My best mate is currently unemployed. He was a landscape gardener for 9 years. One of the worst aspects of being unemployed for a relatively long time, he tells me, beyond the obvious not having any money, is the fact he does little. He misses simply keeping active. This has to contribute to the feeling of apathy, and also clearly won't help when/if he eventually does find a job. He'd be more than happy to do some sort form of voluntary (but getting his JSA, you know what I mean) style work for his £65. I remember doing loads of stuff, local environmental projects, helping at old folks homes etc. Just to keep myself busy, to keep my mind ticking. A break from trawling papers, websites, and day time television.

I'm surprised it isn't pushed, but it isn't even encouraged.

The system clearly needs changing, but I have no faith in this government doing so for the better.

Sadly, another one of the shite rules that have to be followed is, you have to apply for the job, if you get it or not doesnt matter, but not applying, is the same as saying you wont even try.

I know, the system is fucked up totally which is why as soon as they started with the redundancy lark at the start of the year I decided there and then that under no circumstances was I signing on. I can't be doing with the bullshit and quite frankly if I can't earn 4 quid a day self employed to match what I would get on the dole I'd be disappointed.

My issue with it though is that it is a complete waste of the person who works in the job centres time, the person who applies and the person who works at the company they apply to.

If I was trying to employ someone to drive I forklift or something like that I would be livid if an agency or the job centre was sending me people who don't even have a licence.

The first bold bit I find hard to believe, they just simply wouldnt offer a job like that if they knew you didnt have a forklift license, they might have asked if the person was interested but no way would they send someone there unless training was offered.

I signed on for a while a couple of years ago and it was shite, for the people saying if your willing to work you should take anything is a joke (beside the points above over employers not being interested in someone short term), its not that people arnt willing to work its the fact that if you hang on you might get a job that better suits your skills/qualifications.

The people who havent worked a day in their lives should be the ones filling the jobs that require little or no skill, not qualified accountants.

Pisses me right off those shouts.

The bold bit I was commenting on Strontiums post. He had mentioned someone who had legal qualifications so I assumed it was realistic that they wouldn't have a licence. It wouldn't surprise me if someone working in a dole office didn't know you need a licence though.

Realistically if your a qualified accountant you will struggle to get a job deemed as low skilled or unskilled.

Yes, this. She doesn't have a forklift licence or any experience of using forklifts, so suggesting a job which requires both is obviously a non-starter. I just put it down to a staff member being bored/not arsed and showing her the first thing they saw on the system. They also suggested a steel plant welder job on one occasion. It's almost amusing to be honest. I don't really even blame the staff, they just don't know how to do their jobs properly, which is probably more of an issue with training and the whole way that Jobcentres are set up. They are functionally useless except as a device for administering benefits.

I can't really comment on jobcentre plus as I don't work there but didn't they strike in January in relation to their managers cutting call times to silly levels in order to meet service targets. I think they argued that this effectively made a lot of calls worthless.

I work part-time for the pension service in the evenings. To be fair I am given as long as I need to deal appropriately with calls. I can spend 15 mins going over pension deferral with a dottled old lady to make sure she understands and nothing will be said. Although, I have an easier shift so I imagine it'd be stricter during the day. They've also just brought in an efficiency measure called lean which supposedly works through bottom-up management. Having read about it; it seems like top-down with the rhetoric of bottom up so I think some absurd service targets may be on their way to the pension service. Although, I can't say that for sure yet.

I can't really comment on jobcentre plus as I don't work there but didn't they strike in January in relation to their managers cutting call times to silly levels in order to meet service targets. I think they argued that this effectively made a lot of calls worthless.

No, you're mistaken.

No, you're mistaken.

Just did a quick google search there to check cus I wasn't sure mate. They did though and it looks like they might be about to do it again.

Thousands of jobcentre staff start strike vote - News centre - PCS

Thousands of jobcentre staff start strike vote

7 March 2011

Around 7,000 staff in Jobcentre Plus call centres will begin voting today in a strike ballot over intolerable working conditions.

The ballot widens a dispute which led to two days of strike action in January by more than 2,000 workers in the seven newest contact centres who have been forcibly moved from processing benefit claims to handling enquiries by phone.

It comes as the union is considering a ballot of all its members for national industrial action over cuts to jobs and pensions, and is in talks with other unions about co-ordinating any action.

The union says managers have “an obsession” with hitting call centre targets at the expense of providing a good quality public service.

The oppressive conditions are resulting in high levels of stress and sickness, and staff are leaving at an alarming rate. Since April 2010, more than 2,700 staff have left - over 20% of the total call centre workforce of 12,800.

The union wants to improve the levels of customer service in call centres and allow more varied work; end the target driven culture, particularly by changing the way unrealistic ‘average call times’ are used; and introduce proper flexible working arrangements.

The ballot also follows an announcement by senior managers that they want to close more of the department’s benefit processing offices and call centres.

As a result of the government’s cuts in public spending, JCP is also planning to reduce staff from its current 73,000 to 65,600 by 31 March 2012. This is down from a peak of 84,000 at the end of 2009.

The closure plan is based on three flawed principles: that unemployment is falling, when it is in fact rising; that large numbers of people will claim benefit online, when that is untested and unknown; and that the proposed universal credit will reduce the number of staff required, when that will not start until 2013 at the earliest.

PCS general secretary Mark Serwotka said: “Our members do not want to work in such oppressive conditions simply because the senior managers have an obsession with arbitrary targets.

"They want to be allowed to deal properly and professionally with the calls they receive and stop having to fob customers off because they need to end the call within a certain amount of time.

“Instead of cutting back on staff, the government should be investing in jobcentres and the benefits system to help get people back to work quicker to get our economy back on track.”

Thousands of jobcentre staff start strike vote - News centre - PCS

They do nothing to aid the Jobsearch at all. Some might say why should they I suppose but they generally just ensure you have filled in the forms, done some applications and send you on yer way.

Had to a 13 week course thing once which included attending an office from 9-4pm every day to search for jobs on their computers and papers etc , after a couple of days it become really fucking tedious, they find you a work placement and you do yer work for the remainder with one day a week in the office.

I really fucking enjoyed my placement and dreaded the one day a wekk in the office surrounded by thick, abusive lazy cunts who have no goals or just cannot be arsed at all. They sit there moaning all fucking day long but there's a part of me that feels for them.

They have no fucking future because they dont desire one and it runs a lot deeper than just being arsed. They have been given no guidance and no praise from those close to them, they have been brought up to believe that signing on is the way it is.

The JC is shite but they try , sometimes, and if you just follow the rules they will pretty much let you get on with it.

It's a shame that systems like this are abused and then the ones in genuine need are unable to collect what they should be entitled to.

I am not sure what the answer is but I do think that all those that get money when they are not working (with the exclusion of certain classes ie mentally/physically handicapped if they don't want to or can't do it) should be made clean roads, volunteer for charities etc. There is always help needed for things like this and those that don't have a job should be doing them.

I would have no problem helping where i would be needed while out of work and this should be the case for everyone. There should be no freeloaders. If you don't turn up then you don't get the cash. Serious sickness and doctors notes to prove this would mean you wouldn't lose all your entitlements.

Those with skills can use them in certain instances i.e. I could do many things such as lecture others that are out of jobs re Business/finance and others with skills can help in other areas.

I am sure others that are out of work have skills that they can pass onto others and would be happy to help communities. Those in trades can help the governments with housing projects etc. Those with no skills sweep the roads and volunteer for charities. Everyone pulls together and no one is too great for any job.

I hate freeloaders and they should just be forgotten with if they don't get their act together and start pulling their weight. There are several countries that don't even have social welfare schemes and don't get handouts.

I am tired of this mess that the corrupt have bestowed upon us and the freeloaders on the other side are using to their advantage. Why do the normal, average people get pissed all over. I am getting fucked from both ends and I'm not enjoying it.

Too many people at the top and bottom are getting away with shit while the majority middle men suffer.

Colonol the trouble with volunteering is that they consider that as your not looking for work while your doing volunteer work. At least that's what happened in my case.

I have issues with making people sweep roads and shit like that because aside from any claim of it being forced labour or anything like that, surely if there is a need for those jobs to be done a job should be created for it.

Up here North Tyneside are laying off as many staff as they can in maintenance departments, i.e. people who look after parks, the people who collect rubbish (not the bin men the guys who do clean up work and the like). So effectively then a council worker gets laid off they could then go and sign on to be told that they have to go and do work in the local council area for free? Sorry doesn't sit right with me. I can see what your trying to get at but it's a step away from slave labour in my opinion.

The whole business of unemployment is used by governments as an excuse in my opinion and judging by the comments of some on here it works.

Get the working people blaming those that are unemployed for the mess we are in, divide and conquer is the term I believe. When the economy was up when Lawson was chancellor (the Lawson Boom as they called it) unemployment was over 2.5million, in 1992 it went over 3 million even now it sits at 2.45 million. Realistically the economy has improved and failed with very little actual long term change in unemployment levels, yet the unemployed get bandied around as a problem.

As far as I am concerned the politicians don't care about the unemployed because they are not economically relevant. Whether they work or not makes fuck all difference to the economy so they do nothing of relevance to change it.

The whole "New Deal" thing when Labour got into power carried on exactly the same as the previous government's scheme of the time (I can't remember the name of it now) all that changed was the colour of the ES40 (or UB40 as it used to be).

However they do use them as a tool to try and score points while doing fuck all of any substance to actually deal with it.

You continually see figures bandied about of how much benefit fraud costs but they always state it is an estimate. Or in simple terms they don't actually know but that is the official guess. Again it turns people away from other things and gets people blaming the unemployed for why things are shit. Release to the press some guy has claimed loads of benefits and been earning thirty grand a year and make people assume they all do it.

I'm not advocating that fiddling is right per se, however when I was on the dole first time round I'm sure I only got £36 a week. Damn right I fiddled, odd job here and there for twenty quid as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to survive. If someone is earning a living wage and claiming that is a different matter and yes those people should be dealt with,

The problems are way deeper than just the unemployed and the systems in place for them, which although completely fucked up and ineffective as they are, are only part of a wider problem. Largely created by the short term thinking in politics now, nothing is done for the long term, it's all about the quick fix now, or at least the apparent fix which they can get in the press to pretend they have achieved something rather than actually fixing the problems.

Unemployment has fluctuated between 1million and 3 million for over 30 years now. At one point it was down to about 800,000 (pre credit crunch) which to me shows the majority of those on the fringes ended up in work and are actually willing to go and get a job.

As I said in one of my first posts on this thread. Where are the jobs they are meant to be applying for. North East region over 80,000 unemployed, local paper covering Northumberland, Tyneside and Durham advertising 300 jobs with more in the big DWP Offices up here and in the Councils about to join those unemployed. They don't have anywhere to go.

good post chevettehs. I don't think for one second that the unemployed are the main problem and my suggestion is not flawless but to me is one way of trying to eradicate the problem with scroungers.

I am more disgusted by politicians and Bankers for the mess countries are now in but these is probably not for this part of the forum. People are losing their jobs, losing bonuses or getting pay cuts but yet you still see the perpetrators of all the problems still on fat bonuses, huge pay and in cases where they have had to step down still get their privileges. Why is no one culpable with crimes like this? It just makes me sick to the stomach. Rant Over

Had to a 13 week course thing once which included attending an office from 9-4pm every day to search for jobs on their computers and papers etc , after a couple of days it become really fucking tedious, they find you a work placement and you do yer work for the remainder with one day a week in the office.

I really fucking enjoyed my placement and dreaded the one day a wekk in the office surrounded by thick, abusive lazy cunts who have no goals or just cannot be arsed at all. They sit there moaning all fucking day long but there's a part of me that feels for them.

They have no fucking future because they dont desire one and it runs a lot deeper than just being arsed. They have been given no guidance and no praise from those close to them, they have been brought up to believe that signing on is the way it is.

Fucking hell, don't get me started on these useless training courses. Can anyone tell me what the point of them is?

My girlfriend had to start on one last week in Birkenhead. I say had to, but she doesn't really have to at all (she doesn't even have to sign on, she's not getting any money after all), however she really wants to do an ECDL course and the only way she can do it is by going through one of these training centres where they send all the detritus of society.

So last week was the week-long compulsory pre-course thing. What a culture shock for the poor girl! Most of them have criminal records, half of them are illiterate, some of them were just sitting there with their heads in their hands, shaking and moaning. She was crying in the toilets on the first day because she's never been around people like that before, she grew up in rural Cumbria. The girl she was sitting next to had been on anger management for pushing her sister down the stairs. The other day she casually mentioned she'd been raped by two different people. Jesus Christ!

And because the ECDL course she's doing (mercifully at another location) is only three days a week, for the other 2 days she has to go there and do jobsearches, which she does at home anyway. So they're going to force her to do a 40 minute round trip for no fucking reason whatsoever and endanger her wellbeing to boot.

And this is what genuine jobseekers have to go through just to get a basic computer qualification? How can this be justified on any level?

Fucking hell, don't get me started on these useless training courses. Can anyone tell me what the point of them is?

My girlfriend had to start on one last week in Birkenhead. I say had to, but she doesn't really have to at all (she doesn't even have to sign on, she's not getting any money after all), however she really wants to do an ECDL course and the only way she can do it is by going through one of these training centres where they send all the detritus of society.

So last week was the week-long compulsory pre-course thing. What a culture shock for the poor girl! Most of them have criminal records, half of them are illiterate, some of them were just sitting there with their heads in their hands, shaking and moaning. She was crying in the toilets on the first day because she's never been around people like that before, she grew up in rural Cumbria. The girl she was sitting next to had been on anger management for pushing her sister down the stairs. The other day she casually mentioned she'd been raped by two different people. Jesus Christ!

And because the ECDL course she's doing (mercifully at another location) is only three days a week, for the other 2 days she has to go there and do jobsearches, which she does at home anyway. So they're going to force her to do a 40 minute round trip for no fucking reason whatsoever and endanger her wellbeing to boot.

And this is what genuine jobseekers have to go through just to get a basic computer qualification? How can this be justified on any level?

Anyone who is claiming JSA, who is put on any course, no matter how long, is taken off the signing on list, despite still getting JSA thus giving the government an unemployment figure to tell the country, which is bollocks.

4M on the dole? more like 7M if you count those on courses, (Figures stated do not represent actual figures, but thats how it works)

Ah Tory boy coming into contact with the dregs of society. GOOD GOLLY GOSH, CRIMINAL RECORDS? How dare they endanger her wellbeing?

I seriously can't wait for you to lose your job and get beat up on you way in and out of the jobcentre by the illiterate people who never had the upbringing you had so seek to settle the score.

• Upvote 1

Spare her sensibilities and pay for a home ECDL course. Maybe she can watch Brideshead Revisited whilst acquiring her new found skills.

Ah Tory boy coming into contact with the dregs of society. GOOD GOLLY GOSH, CRIMINAL RECORDS? How dare they endanger her wellbeing?

I seriously can't wait for you to lose your job and get beat up on you way in and out of the jobcentre by the illiterate people who never had the upbringing you had so seek to settle the score.

Oh, I suppose you think I shouldn't be concerned about the love of my life having to spend time among violent criminals just because she wants to properly learn how to use computers?

Maybe if you ever found it in yourself to love and be loved by another human being, you soulless husk of a man, then you wouldn't be such a nasty little gobshite.

• Upvote 3