You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

An Epic Swindle by Brian Reade

Dougie Do'ins

I wouldn't call keeping the European Cup & winning the FA Cup as irrelevant.

Nor would I say his involvement at the academy was irrelevant either.

Like it or not the man has now left a legacy.

Not bad for a man who's role as manager is now supremely irrelevant.

I said "it's irrelevant NOW" and it is. Any decision made by the club on and off the pitch from now on has nothing to do with Rafa Benitez. That's what I was meaning, and it is true.

So arguing about what he did and didn't do is, to me, the height of pointlessness.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the fuckin KING of slime and hair splitting,so you'd know all about being manipulative.

The reference I was making about Benitez AND DALGLISH,

is that the HSFG ISN'T predominantly a football group,they are brought together because of the terrible tragedy that affected their families.

I'd lean more on the opinions of Margaret Aspinall and the families who don't take a footballing view,

so when it comes to praising DALGLISH and Benitez as MEN and not football

icons I know whose views I would value.

At times you can be a horrible twat,

YOU WOULD MAKE A GOOD TRAFFIC WARDEN OR WHEEL CLAMPER

YOU CANNOT SEE ANY GOOD IN BENITEZ ON OR OFF THE PARK

It's fuckin killing you that Benitez made them contributions to those local charities,because it puts him in a good light,

which is something that you simply DETEST

Are you redshadow in disguise?

You're the fuckin KING of slime and hair splitting,so you'd know all about being manipulative.

The reference I was making about Benitez AND DALGLISH,

is that the HSFG ISN'T predominantly a football group,they are brought together because of the terrible tragedy that affected their families.

I'd lean more on the opinions of Margaret Aspinall and the families who don't take a footballing view,

so when it comes to praising DALGLISH and Benitez as MEN and not football

icons I know whose views I would value.

At times you can be a horrible twat

YOU WOULD MAKE A GOOD TRAFFIC WARDEN OR WHEEL CLAMPER

YOU CANNOT SEE ANY GOOD IN BENITEZ ON OR OFF THE PARK.

It's fuckin killing you that Benitez made them contributions to those local charities,because it puts him in a good light,

which is something that you simply DETEST

John, relax mate. The meat fast only lasted one day mate chill the fuck out. Treat yourself to a nice Bacon Roll or Sausage & Egg McMuffin this morning that'll sort you out.

Traffic Warden or Wheel Clamper eh. Is the pay good? If so, where do I apply?

FWIW I am delighted Rafa and Montse have such close ties with HFSG. But I disagree with you where you say people with non-footballing views are the best people to make reference to, especially in this case.

Reade has his finger on the pulse, I would trust his judgement on this over yes, even Margaret Aspinall. That isn't a slight on the lady either before you start.

I have no idea how certain individuals will come out of this in Brians book but in my opinion (I am allowed to disagree with you John) if even Rafa came out of this book looking whiter than white it would be a cop-out, as I say, in my opinion.

Reade has his finger on the pulse, I would trust his judgement on this over yes, even Margaret Aspinall. That isn't a slight on the lady either before you start.

You like splitting hairs,

so fuckin split this one,

you say Reade had his finger on the pulse,

answer this

Was Reade "pulse" accurate when he was informed that Alonso wanted to go a lot earlier than he did?

Which would smash your stance to fuck, that Benitez forced him (Alonso) out,

or would that be Reade other "pulse" which you didn't agree with.

Forum,

wait for this belter to come back!!

Sad?

Its fucking heartbreaking and utterly avoidable.

That said maybe we needed to go through it to get back to what we were before.

Brilliant. Thats the way I look at it. Sometimes you have to go through things like this to come out the other side stronger and more aware of what you are.

Durango I thought Brian Reade was supposed to be one if the most informative knowledgeable journalists out there regarding the club. I have always respected him and admired him long before he did this book. I don't agree with his opinions all the time but considering this book is seemingly a more factual account of what happened under the previous owners over the past three and a bit years rather than Reade's opinion then you should as we all are be championing the fella rather than chastising him. This book needed to be written and I am glad it was someone like Brian who wrote it. In twenty or thirty years time that book will be a historical reference point for future supporters.

You almost seem worried about the content of this book and how certain individuals are going to be portrayed.

Was Reade "pulse" accurate when he was informed that Alonso wanted to go a lot earlier than he did?

Informed implies 'information' which implies 'fact'.

Which it isn't.

As others have pointed out to me, for which I thank them, extracts from a book are no real indicator of its overall content.

With the information to hand I find it implausible that someone signs a five year contract and then wants to leave six months later.

It seems certain people want us to believe that Xabi wanted to leave when Rafa made this statement. It's more likely that he had an eventual desire to return home, which all foreigners will have.

Quite why Rafa told Reade something about Xabi specifically when it was something applicable to every foreign player people will just have to decide for themselves.

Final word; I'm looking forward to the book.

This is a Xabi post - nothing to do with Rafa. Xabi signed a new improved contract in June 2007 (his wife isnt pregnant) In December 2007 Brian Reade reports that Rafa tells him Xabi wants to go back to Spain (his wife is now 6 months pregnant) Xabi has a son in March 2008 and rumours start to surface that Xabi wants to bring up his family in Spain. Sometimes football decisions can be made which are actually outside of football.

This.

Some people find these thing too complicated for their little minds and reject it out of hand and they would have gotten away with it too if it were for the pesky Bbrian Reade.

Informed implies 'information' which implies 'fact'.

Which it isn't.

As others have pointed out to me, for which I thank them, extracts from a book are no real indicator of its overall content.

With the information to hand I find it implausible that someone signs a five year contract and then wants to leave six months later.

It seems certain people want us to believe that Xabi wanted to leave when Rafa made this statement. It's more likely that he had an eventual desire to return home, which all foreigners will have.

Quite why Rafa told Reade something about Xabi specifically when it was something applicable to every foreign player people will just have to decide for themselves.

Final word; I'm looking forward to the book.

So what you're saying J Edgar is that,

you can take all the "plums" that favour your argument,

and discard all the "duffs" that don't?

"Without any format being agreed, they shook hands and went there seperate ways, knowing at least one miracle had taken place in the house of God - Alan Kayll had bought a round of five coffeess, two of them for Moores and Parry"

Which part is the miracle though? That two were for Moores and Parry or that Al got a round. Or even that he spent that long in a Catholic house of God at all.

The book could easily have been twice as long if it went into more detail about the fans fight, and also, the views in the book about purslow are mostly from "senior executives" at the club and in my opinionhe gets off too lightly.

"Without any format being agreed, they shook hands and went there seperate ways, knowing at least one miracle had taken place in the house of God - Alan Kayll had bought a round of five coffeess, two of them for Moores and Parry"

Which part is the miracle though? That two were for Moores and Parry or that Al got a round. Or even that he spent that long in a Catholic house of God at all.

The book could easily have been twice as long if it went into more detail about the fans fight, and also, the views in the book about purslow are mostly from "senior executives" at the club and in my opinionhe gets off too lightly.

Hahaha, I assume the advance copies are doing the rounds then.

I'd only THINK about buying it if it goes into details regarding OUR money.

What I'm driving at is I want one question answered:

WHERE, THE FUCK DID THE MONEY GO.

I'm sorry but I doubt Reade could answer that as I suspect Gillet and especially Hicks are way too good at leaving no trail when it comes to shaking the till.

I'd only THINK about buying it if it goes into details regarding OUR money.

What I'm driving at is I want one question answered:

WHERE, THE FUCK DID THE MONEY GO.

I'm sorry but I doubt Reade could answer that as I suspect Gillet and especially Hicks are way too good at leaving no trail when it comes to shaking the till.

How can you buy something for £220m,

sell it for £300m, and be swindled

How can you buy something for £220m,

sell it for £300m, and be swindled

When you borrow £350m to pay for that £220m purchase, you need to clear at least £350m from a sale to make any money from it. The amount of heartache they've caused will never be made up by the fact they had the rug pulled from under them.