You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

An Epic Swindle by Brian Reade

Dougie Do'ins

When you borrow £350m to pay for that £220m purchase, you need to clear at least £350m from a sale to make any money from it. The amount of heartache they've caused will never be made up by the fact they had the rug pulled from under them.

The club where paying the interest fees,

not Tommy and Georgie

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The club where paying the interest fees,

not Tommy and Georgie

Don't forget the 60 Million they screwed us out of for those stadium designs.

Add to that the money that disappeared for the stadium start up.

Jesus, just looking at what FSG has done already compared to the slapstick of those two imbeciles is astounding!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How can you buy something for £220m,

sell it for £300m, and be swindled

Quite easily, really. Not that they were swindled; they lost the 'company' through their own ignorance and the brilliance of Broughton et al. However, sale price has very little to do with whether they were swindled or not.

Surprisingly, Carragher had been given a warning about Hicks and Gillett from an unlikely source: Rio Ferdinand.

'Rio told me that the Glazers were terrified of the Dubai people taking over. They thought they'd have another Abramovich on their hands. The Glazers were really hoping Hicks and Gillett would beat them to it. Which made me think, "Hang on, have we made a mistake here?"'

"This was the most curious dynamic of them all. Here was Benitez, one of the world’s highest-rated coaches, who had won two Spanish leagues, the Champions League, UEFA Cup and FA Cup forming an alliance with a man who knew nothing about football, who hated him and had tried to sack him. A man he knew was wooing him with the offer of a contract extension to keep him close to him as a sign of credibility in his ongoing battle to take overall control of the club."

Cannot wait to read this, looks to be exposing the myth of Rafa being this selfless man sent to us to save us

You gleaned that from that paragraph?

Laughable.

And if you're sole reason to buy this book is wishing to see Benitez cast in a poor light, I'll do you a favour and advise you not to read it because it won't.

You gleaned that from that paragraph?

Laughable.

And if you're sole reason to buy this book is wishing to see Benitez cast in a poor light, I'll do you a favour and advise you not to read it because it won't.

And there is the first bite.

I couldn't give a fuck how Benitez is portrayed in it, I have bought the book and will be reading it shortly.

"This was the most curious dynamic of them all. Here was Benitez, one of the world’s highest-rated coaches, who had won two Spanish leagues, the Champions League, UEFA Cup and FA Cup forming an alliance with a man who knew nothing about football, who hated him and had tried to sack him. A man he knew was wooing him with the offer of a contract extension to keep him close to him as a sign of credibility in his ongoing battle to take overall control of the club."

Goodness me, Brian is going to get the hatemail from the usual suspects for that sentence!

From what i've read so far - and it's a depressing read, isn't it - I think Gillett is getting off lightly: Brian tends to portray him as a gutless clown, whereas i think he's this but also a cunning, devious, untrustworthy, two-faced snake. In many ways he was more the poisonous of the two.

Goodness me, Brian is going to get the hatemail from the usual suspects for that sentence!

From what i've read so far - and it's a depressing read, isn't it - I think Gillett is getting off lightly: Brian tends to portray him as a gutless clown, whereas i think he's this but also a cunning, devious, untrustworthy, two-faced snake. In many ways he was more the poisonous of the two.

always thought that myself