You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

An Epic Swindle by Brian Reade

Dougie Do'ins

Sorry if its already been posted but people saying that 3 Liverpool legends in Gerrard, Carragher and Dalglish should have spoken out need to remember one thing.

Liverpool FC do not wash their dirty linen in public and especially in the form of Kenny Dalglish there was no way he was going to publically slam the owners therefore escalating the problem.

Since the arrival of Hicks, Gillett and the continuous board room politics i have never seen the off the field matters at Liverpool dominate so much.

As a club we were once highly respected and an ideal club to look at on how to run a successful football team.

You needed to have had your head buried in the sand to not know about the civil war that was taking place at Anfield so just how either of the Liverpool greats speaking out would have helped i do not know.

This is all water under the bridge now as the cancerous twats have left the club and hopefully with FSG we have the right owners to take the club forward and return to where we belong which is the summit of English football and the team to avoid in Europe.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also don't remember you being that interested about something that you now claim 'could have finished the club'.

Stick to slandering Tony Evans, Andy Heaton, Rafa Benitez and stop stalking me around the forum.

Though why you slander them on here rather than take it up with them on twitter or something baffles me. Coward perhaps.

Edited by usernameunknown

Sorry if its already been posted but people saying that 3 Liverpool legends in Gerrard, Carragher and Dalglish should have spoken out need to remember one thing.

Liverpool FC do not wash their dirty linen in public and especially in the form of Kenny Dalglish there was no way he was going to publically slam the owners therefore escalating the problem.

You needed to have had your head buried in the sand to not know about the civil war that was taking place at Anfield so just how either of the Liverpool greats speaking out would have helped i do not know.

This is all water under the bridge now as the cancerous twats have left the club and hopefully with FSG we have the right owners to take the club forward and return to where we belong which is the summit of English football and the team to avoid in Europe.

Disagree coop. The “Liverpool Way” was dead in the dirt. The club had been raped of its very soul and was on its last legs, so the time for a “stiff upper lip” and all that was well gone. The time had come to come out fighting. It was a little sad that it took the fans to do all that with virtually no public help or support from past and current legends. I’d also go as far as saying that if the likes of Gerrard, Carragher and Dalglish had their time again, that they’d act quite differently.

Guest TK-421

Like I say, I think they kept quiet because to blame the Americans would have been to vindicate Rafa from some of the blame. And I think they were loathe to do that.

In Dalglish's case I can understand. He had ambitions to become the manager again, so rocking the boat with the current owners would have had implications in that respect.

But Gerrard and Carra were well established and there was nothing preventing them from following Reina's lead.

Disagree coop. The “Liverpool Way” was dead in the dirt. The club had been raped of its very soul and was on its last legs, so the time for a “stiff upper lip” and all that was well gone. The time had come to come out fighting. It was a little sad that it took the fans to do all that with virtually no public help or support from past and current legends. I’d also go as far as saying that if the likes of Gerrard, Carragher and Dalglish had their time again, that they’d act quite differently.

The thing for me though Johnny is i was sick to death of seeing the club getting dragged through the dirt on an almost daily basis so i wouldn't have wanted either Gerrard, Carra or Dalglish to have then added to this.

I thought Carra did the right thing in going to a SOS meeting so therefore showed his feelings.

Ask yourself why the club had been 'raped' of its very soul and a major part of that was by doing all our business in the newspapers rather then behind the boardroom doors.

It finally took a man like Martin Broughton to bring Hicks and Gillett down and he too went about his business in the correct manner, away from the public eye.

We now have returned to the 'Liverpool way' of doing things and its great and for the first team in a few years im excited at the prospect of what the summer may bring.

Yeah, can't agree on the assumptions made and of the Carra's or Gerrards or Dalglishes, people saying what they could have done was.... I don't envy their positions at the time these things were going on and so I'm not going to condemn them for anything. Since the king has returned we are all as one and by talking this way you are letting H and G back in to divide further even after they have left.

So you total bunch of mongs, draw fucking line in the sand and get over it.

Bet you didn't fucking cancel your match tickets for the match or sky packages either, fans/players who cares, a few tried to take responsibility for themselves most didn't so all this finger pointing from hypocritical pillocks is more annoying than having H and G and Roy and Christian P back, in fact, no, it's exactly like that.

Like I say, I think they kept quiet because to blame the Americans would have been to vindicate Rafa from some of the blame. And I think they were loathe to do that.

In Dalglish's case I can understand. He had ambitions to become the manager again, so rocking the boat with the current owners would have had implications in that respect.

But Gerrard and Carra were well established and there was nothing preventing them from following Reina's lead.

What do you think happens the day after, though, mate? How would Hicks react to being publically condemned by our captain(someone he can sell, no less)? How exactly does Gerrard get the balls to complain about the debt burden while contributing to it and earning astronomical wages without being charged a hypocrite? How do we get players to join when the captain, manager and owners are openly embroiled in a major dispute? How does the team focus? Who buys a club like that?

The thing for me though Johnny is i was sick to death of seeing the club getting dragged through the dirt on an almost daily basis so i wouldn't have wanted either Gerrard, Carra or Dalglish to have then added to this.

I thought Carra did the right thing in going to a SOS meeting so therefore showed his feelings.

Ask yourself why the club had been 'raped' of its very soul and a major part of that was by doing all our business in the newspapers rather then behind the boardroom doors.

It finally took a man like Martin Broughton to bring Hicks and Gillett down and he too went about his business in the correct manner, away from the public eye.

We now have returned to the 'Liverpool way' of doing things and its great and for the first team in a few years im excited at the prospect of what the summer may bring.

I was sick of it all too mate.

I hated seeing the name of this club dragged through the muck with one bad story after another. But there seemed to be no end in sight other then the club suffering bankruptcy and the inevitable relegation following the points deduction. The possibility of a winding up order was even on the horizon. In my opinion it had got to the point that al the leaks and back biting in the press needed to be met head on with high profile LFC people stating it was simply not good enough and they should sell up and move.

I was delighted to hear that Carra had spoken at an SOS get together, but the only way I knew that was because I was told by people who were there. It never made it out into the public domain. While it was nice to know he was quietly behind us, it was utterly pointless as we needed that kind of support to be heard by every Liverpool fan the world over so that the threat of boycotts or merchandise and action at the game would seem real to the then owners.

Coop, I fully appreciate where you are coming from, and I certainly see your point. I just felt back then that the time for biting the tongue and hoping it’d sort itself out had gone, and Liverpools best should have stood up and rallied the fans in one voice. It made me sick to be told to sit down and shut the fuck up when I joined in in the anti-ownership chants. In the end I stopped going to the game for almost the entire season. I just wanted someone with a voice the fans would listen to to speak up and say enough was enough.

Thankfully though, it very much seems those days are behind us, and I think the club is at its most settled and united since probably the summer of 2006. And it’s a great feeling.

Guest TK-421
What do you think happens the day after, though, mate? How would Hicks react to being publically condemned by our captain(someone he can sell, no less)? How exactly does Gerrard get the balls to complain about the debt burden while contributing to it and earning astronomical wages without being charged a hypocrite? How do we get players to join when the captain, manager and owners are openly embroiled in a major dispute? How does the team focus? Who buys a club like that?

Wow, that's a lot of questions. Excuse me if I can't be arsed to answer any of them.

I dunno, Pepe Reina and Torres managed it just fine.

Carra even half agrees with me - "maybe we should have said something". I agree with JohnnyH and don't buy the excuses for keeping quiet on the issue.

All very logical questions. Fact is Carra and Stevie staying quiet doesn't mean they give less of a shit, it's just the way they deemed best to handle the situation. Both are club legends who care deeply about Liverpool, I'm sure if they thought speaking out against the owners would have improved things tenfold they wouldn't have hesitated. But lets not dwell on those dark times, we were subsequently sold and the old owners received nothing. Onwards and upwards

Wow, that's a lot of questions. Excuse me if I can't be arsed to answer any of them.

I dunno, Pepe Reina and Torres managed it just fine.

Carra even half agrees with me - "maybe we should have said something". I agree with JohnnyH and don't buy the excuses for keeping quiet on the issue.

Can't see what it would have done, apart from cause more highliting of our misery, alert other clubs they may be available as well as other players and hammer a few extra nails in the coffin? I can't see how it would have helped and people saying 'well I wanted to chant 'out' at the match forget they were paying H and G's tab to chant? Then want to point at the king?

Los Idiotos.

I look at the fans, those that weren't in the know didn't care to find out or deluded themselves and out of those that did know most were not prepared to take action and those that were were divided disagreed over what to do. Most in the know were unprepared to stop going the match or buy merchandise and carried on lining these shyters pockets.

The likes of Carra and Gerrard were probably getting more info than us but still had a lack of info on a lot of stuff. I mean, what did we want them to come out and say, 'get rid of our owners and our bosses', 'both me and carra wish to have it put on public record that we deplore Hicks cowboy boots and wish to distance ourselves from this action'?

All very logical questions. Fact is Carra and Stevie staying quiet doesn't mean they give less of a shit, it's just the way they deemed best to handle the situation. Both are club legends who care deeply about Liverpool, I'm sure if they thought speaking out against the owners would have improved things tenfold they wouldn't have hesitated. But lets not dwell on those dark times, we were subsequently sold and the old owners received nothing. Onwards and upwards

Further to the above, this is taken from one of the extracts:

Like Gerrard, Carragher became emotionally exhausted with the Anfield anarchy.

“It was like your mum and dad scrapping. You don’t care what they’re fighting about, you just want to scream at them to shut up,” he says.

Carra and Gerrard are both grown men, not children caught in the crossfire of a messy divorce, but the analogy above illustrates the depths of despair and feeling of helplessness that one can only cope with for so long before it starts to affect day to day life. On that basis I can understand the reluctance to say anything, believing that it will only inflame the situation further.

Before anyone points it out, this isn't me suggesting people should buy into their "sob story" but I'm not going to slaughter them over it either. There are others far more deserving of that than those two. Just saying.

sense as usual Coop.

I think if Gerrard had have said something a lot more fans would've got on board that the owners were cunts far earlier than they did.

Don't forget there were plenty of fans who sort of stook up for the owners for a while.

I don't really agree with you, but I don't think it is a clear cut situation and you do have a point, but I feel that in regards to most of those involved in the club, Kenny, Rafa, the ex players, even journalists, Maddock, Bascome, Evans and Barrett, there was no right answer and no correct way to do business.

The Parasites, Purslow, Parry and Moores, I think it is clear cut as far as they are concerned!

And Sky, I won't forget those cunts!

Which is a lot easiernow that all the people from the previous regime ( bar Ayre) gone. But I really wonder how Kenny would have reacted if he was our manager under Gillett and Hicks. Would he have been able to keep everything 'in house',would he have cooperated better with Parry and how would he have managed to work around the debt and the crippling effect it had on the transfer budget at the time - and do this without having control over the youth system.How would he tackled the constant lies,spade in the ground in 60 days etc etc.Would he have kept us floating by qualifying for the champs league five years in a row. I'm not so sure Kenny would have been able to keep his mouth shut and work this the Liverpool Way.Especially with owners who were so far from TLW as you can be

Which is a lot easiernow that all the people from the previous regime ( bar Ayre) gone. But I really wonder how Kenny would have reacted if he was our manager under Gillett and Hicks. Would he have been able to keep everything 'in house',would he have cooperated better with Parry and how would he have managed to work around the debt and the crippling effect it had on the transfer budget at the time - and do this without having control over the youth system.How would he tackled the constant lies,spade in the ground in 60 days etc etc.Would he have kept us floating by qualifying for the champs league five years in a row. I'm not so sure Kenny would have been able to keep his mouth shut and work this the Liverpool Way.Especially with owners who were so far from TLW as you can be

Kenny would have dealt with it very differently. It doesn't matter though, it's gone and we can all look forward with optimism. Kenny's here, the sun is shining, and we can all look forward to the summer. I'm just hoping against hope that in September we're not all asking why we didn't spend any money in the summer transfer window. :eek:

Gerrard didn't have problem with going public when it came to his new contracts or making sure the club was living up to the standards he demanded in 04-06. So he should have been able to speak freely about how these cunts were ruining the dreams of all kopites.

Do we need to get back in the minuti of it all?

It was horrible enough once let alone bicker about once we've come through the storm.

Agreed.

Gerrard always gets it in the neck for some reason, captain or not, he's a professional footballer who's employed to do a job on the pitch and represent it with dignity off it.

If anyone should have spoken up, it was the army of ex-players whose voices carried similar weight, but who had the added advantage of not being on the club's payroll.

There is no doubt that Moores through stupidity and an over-reliance on Parry and Parry through incompetence and feathering his own nest,sold our club down the river.

Nor is there any doubt that Hicks and Gillett were utter cunts who saw our club as a way of making a fast buck and damn the consequences for us.

As for the rest in the club,they were fooled early in the game,as were many of us.When the truth began to become apparent,they were in a desperately difficult position.Were they to speak out and cause massive ructions and grisly headlines in the papers,or were they to carry on as best they could and try to keep the football side of things going to the best of their ability?

Some chose one way and some chose the other,either way they could be damned if they did and damned if they didn't.As it happened,led by heroes across the fora and fan groups who bullied us into action,the fans rose up and made things very difficult for the twats to continue their ownership and then Broughton and the bank did their bit and they were gone.

I'm not sure that inquests and recriminations are the way forward now.The King has returned,the lads are playing for each other,the kids in the youth setup seem to be the best crop we've had in years and we have new owners who appear to really care about our club.

What is very important is that we,the fans and therefore the lifeblood of the club,learn from the past and subject the custodians of our club to constant scrutiny,whilst allowing goodwill to those who allow it to us,as the present ownwership seem to be doing.

But then,many of us believed Hicks and Gillett at first!

Having learned from the lessons of the past,we supporters of the club must remain ever vigilant that we "Don't Get Fooled Again"!

Let the past go and look to the future,please.