You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate your local chippy

Sugar Ape

• 11 months later...

Could the news that up to one third of fish and chip shops might be forced to close be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

Food shortages in general are hard enough, but a lack of the essential ingredients required to make our most traditional of takeaways is particularly worrying. 

There’s a lot of old people types round my way who will be up in arms if their pensioner lunchtime special is suddenly unavailable.

No doubt a good few of our local dodderers will be Tory voters, a large percentage of those only recently seduced to the dark side by Bozo and his Brexit bollocks. It will be interesting to see the strength of their political convictions when their local chippy closes its doors for the last time. 

Despite all that should have done for them already, wouldn’t it be a thing if the Government is finally toppled due to the unavailability of mushy peas. 

I have two chippies local to me (Leyland) that are in walking distance, hence why I look like I iron my shirts in a wok.

The Chinese chippy (Great Wall) is just over the road from my house and the other (Poseidon's) is a little further which always helps to walk off the amazing battered sausage that they do.

Great Wall is ideal for chip barms etc, the pies are ok and the sausages not so. 6/10.

Poseidon's has the best battered sausages, better quality chips than the "great bunch of lads" and the gravy isn't like tar. 8/10. 2 points off because I have to walk further.

I used to go to The Plaice in Leyland town centre when the parents of Saffie Roussos had it, best chippy in Leyland at the time by far; it was always packed. I got know them quite well as our stepson used to do the deliveries for them and sort out their IT when they stopped the deliveries. Lovely family. It's had two owners since the Roussos' left and it's bloody awful.

• Upvote 1

A great chippy should be a cornerstone of any community. Add to that a great local pub, a great convenience store, a great school, great health services and great public transport access. 

The objective should have been to ensure all communities have these things. Instead the approach seems to have been to reduce the number of communities that do. Levelling down in action. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Good chippies are few and far between everywhere nowadays.

I reckon it maybe has something to do with either the availability of suppliers of the fish,the price of those suppliers,or something which connects the two is the supermarkets and possibly higher priced restaurants getting the pick of the fish. 

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I reckon it maybe has something to do with either the availability of suppliers of the fish,the price of those suppliers,or something which connects the two is the supermarkets and possibly higher priced restaurants getting the pick of the fish. 

The fish is generally ok, in my opinion. It’s the batter and chips that tend to be crap. I’ve rarely had decent fish and chips since I moved to York. There isn’t a good chippy here, in my view.

My mate has a chippy down here and he's been absolutely hammered on costs. Everything from fish, cooking oil, packaging, gas and electric has rocketed in price. He charges £7.50 for regular cod and chips and is the cheapest in the area and still gets moaned at by customers. 

His competitors often advertise their fish as being locally caught when in reality cod is a cold water fish and the only cod caught down here (cornwall) is lost.

The major thing lacking with chippies nowadays, for me, is the absence of the smell of vinegar when you're in the vicinity of a chippy.

You could be stumbling out of the pub or wherever and suddenly, that waft of vinegar hits your nostrils and that's your scran sorted for the way home.

I grew up in Lostock Hall, just between Leyland and Penwortham, and the chippies were shut early on a Saturday night. Totally mystified me as surely with the amount of pubs Lostock Hall had at that time, you could make a killing from pissed up people fancying a bag of chips for the trek home.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Not a chippy in sight in Dalyan. Really miss the times when you can't be arsed and say, "let's just go the chippy"

John's in Clubmoore is excellent, but do not pick an argument with the girls who work there, tough as fuck.

At least you have them brilliant mud baths. Highlight of my holiday there in 2007.