You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate your local chippy

Sugar Ape

Just now, mattyq said:

I only ever went down that way to watch the cricket... I must have sensed it lacked a decent chippy. Can't remember any decent pubs there, either

I was lower down than the cricket ground, not far from the top of London Road. Lived in a couple of places between 1992-1995, so it’s a while ago. The Broadfield Pub was probably the best I can remember, a lot of students but a decent enough boozer. I actually had my 21st birthday in there. Seems a million years ago now. 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I was lower down than the cricket ground, not far from the top of London Road. Lived in a couple of places between 1992-1995, so it’s a while ago. The Broadfield Pub was probably the best I can remember, a lot of students but a decent enough boozer. I actually had my 21st birthday in there. Seems a million years ago now. 

Ah, ok. The cricket ground was a fair distance out of town I seem to remember,

Didn't know the area you're talking about at all.

I was Crookes, Broomhill, Broomhall, Crookesmoor, Walkley areas. Funny how you rarely leave your stomping ground when you don't have a car

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Ah, ok. The cricket ground was a fair distance out of town I seem to remember,

Didn't know the area you're talking about at all.

I was Crookes, Broomhill, Broomhall, Crookesmoor, Walkley areas. Funny how you rarely leave your stomping ground when you don't have a car

Yes, the same. The names you mention never were much more than that for me while I was there either. Broomhill/Broomhall I think I frequented but the others, not that I can remember. 

40 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Read about fried rice and gravy and I cannot let that pass. May aswell throw cheese on as well ya dirty bastards. 

No excuse for that unless your buying it to force feed the kids you have locked in your cellar.

Where? On here? I must have missed it if so. Or maybe it was divine intervention. Scruffy, dirty bastards. 

4 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I want variety to be available. In Liverpool when I lived there, every chippy seemed to be a Chinese takeaway too, and as a result the fish and chip quality suffered, but I could have half chips, half fried rice and gravy. That’s no bad thing.

a quarter chicken and chips is wonderful.

a kebab even, why not as a rare treat?

admittedly, if I’m going to a chippy 9 times in 10 I want battered cod or haddock, but but the knowledge I could have a 1/4 chicken keeps me interested.

more than anything, if I want to have it at 8:30, that should be possible.

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where? On here? I must have missed it if so. Or maybe it was divine intervention. Scruffy, dirty bastards. 

9AA6369E-334F-4C8A-A375-5E5E96537B81.jpeg

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

The most famous one is the Magpie. They are good there but you can easily get equally as good elsewhere in Whitby, minus the queues. 

I haven’t been to Whitby for about five years but always thought Trenchers was better than Magipie. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mattyq said:

My favourite chippy ever was in Sheffield. The menu was tiny, it was open 4.30 - 6.30 5 days a week but it was sensational. This was 30 years ago

Just checked... it's still there, Broomhead Fish & Chips, Crookes, Sheffield

My son lived there while at Sheffield Uni. Will have to ask him if he ever went there and if it was any good.

Buckinghamshire with their mayo fetish. Fucking heathens. Remmie, have a word with the locals will ya!

There were a number of chippies in Sheffield near where I lived (off Ecclesall Road). The regulars were one on Greystones Road which served huge portions but was only ever open for 2 weeks each month for some reason (it's where I discoverd what a Yorkshire fish cake was - basically a fat potato fritter with a very thin layer of fish in the middle), and one on the main road just before the Psalter Lane junction where the VW dealer was. They were VERY liberal with the salt and vinegar.

52 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Buckinghamshire with their mayo fetish. Fucking heathens. Remmie, have a word with the locals will ya!

I am doubting that data, I saw far more Liberal abuse of mayonnaise on chips when I went to uni in Preston, almost never see it here. 

However, almost no one admits to being tories or brexiteers here but that's what mk voted for. I live amongst the sick and depraved. They probably all have beans on their breakfasts as well, going for the holy trinity of bad taste. 

Oh the humanity!

• Upvote 1

Boss chippies are few and far between nationwide. I’ve eaten a lot of fish and chips and even went through a phase, about five years ago, of eating it every day for months on end. Many chippies are terrible - insipid chips, rubbish batter, crap curry and food that is kept warm for far longer than it should be. Reckon I’ve had at least a dozen of them ban me for making legitimate complaints. A couple of favourites:

Them: ”We’ve only had one previous complaint about our chips in all the years that we’ve been trading. Hang on, wasn’t that you as well?” 

Me: “Indeed it was. They were awful then and are just as bad now.”

• Upvote 3

I moved to Yorkshire and began frequenting a chippy in a place called Helmsley. This place had good online reviews and seem popular with the locals. It seemed ok to be begin with but before long I had to make several complaints - overcooked food, horrible curry and a massive hair (unsure if it was pubic) in my scampi. The kids who worked there must have told the owner  because the next time I went in, he flew out from the back, went nuts and accused me of being “affiliated to a rival business”. I wouldn’t have minded but the other chippy he was referring to was only open about two days a week, only at dinnertime and sold shit pies.

11 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I moved to Yorkshire and began frequenting a chippy in a place called Helmsley. This place had good online reviews and seem popular with the locals. It seemed ok to be begin with but before long I had to make several complaints - overcooked food, horrible curry and a massive hair (unsure if it was pubic) in my scampi. The kids who worked there must have told the owner  because the next time I went in, he flew out from the back, went nuts and accused me of being “affiliated to a rival business”. I wouldn’t have minded but the other chippy he was referring to was only open about two days a week, only at dinnertime and sold shit pies.

You shouldn't have put your pubes in the Scampi Tone,rookie move.

There seems to be an issue on this thread with people attending fish and chip shops and not having at least one of the ingredients that are the whole point of the establishment. 

Assuming the same people frequent Pizza Hut and order chicken nuggets or go to Starbucks for an orange juice. 

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Boss chippies are few and far between nationwide. I’ve eaten a lot of fish and chips and even went through a phase, about five years ago, of eating it every day for months on end. Many chippies are terrible - insipid chips, rubbish batter, crap curry and food that is kept warm for far longer than it should be. Reckon I’ve had at least a dozen of them ban me for making legitimate complaints. A couple of favourites:

Them: ”We’ve only had one previous complaint about our chips in all the years that we’ve been trading. Hang on, wasn’t that you as well?” 

Is that the Harry Ramsden diet?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

T, if you can't do decent chips, then you're fucked. Whats the point.