You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate your local chippy

Sugar Ape

It used to piss me off when working in Scotland and after a night on the ale used to go to the chippy. Couldn't get chips and gravy but could get chips and sauce. The sauce was brown sauce mixed with vinegar. Dirty gets.

The best chippy I've ever had was in Scotland tho'; manky little place in Helmsdale. It might have been because I'd been freezing my knackers off at Loch Badenloch all day but those frigging chips were devine.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/05/2014 at 12:28, Guest Numero Veinticinco said:

Gravy on chips is ridiculous, especially that powdered shit they sell in chipies. That said, vinegar is also the preserve of peadophiles. EDIT: Oh, and mushy peas? What the fucking fuck is fucking wrong with you?

Hide contents

This post isn't going to go down well, is it?

Oh go on then since he’s going to be expecting it. Worst post in forum history etc...

What is your alibi for the night of Barrymore’s pool party NV?

• Upvote 2

I’m sure @Audrey Witherspoon will back me up on this, they do fish and chips better in Australia. The batter for the fish here is spot-on... not as heavy as they do it in the UK. Flake is just as nice as cod. You get dim sims too... basically their take on Chinese dim sums. Real good. ‘Curry’ isn’t a thing here though sadly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sim

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Oh go on then since he’s going to be expecting it. Worst post in forum history etc...

What is your alibi for the night of Barrymore’s pool party NV?

To be fair, as horrific as the post is, it’s still one of my better ones. 

Also, don’t think I didn’t notice the phrasing of the second option, but let’s not start a war here, mainly because I’m likely to lose, and instead can we focus on the cheese option? Is that cheese sauce? 

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m sure @Audrey Witherspoon will back me up on this, they do fish and chips better in Australia. The batter for the fish here is spot-on... not as heavy as they do it in the UK. Flake is just as nice as cod. You get dim sims too... basically their take on Chinese dim sums. Real good. ‘Curry’ isn’t a thing here though sadly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sim

Turn it in yer whopper, I’ve yet to find a chippy that does half chips half fried rice with a carton of curry to the standard of Chris’ on Rose Lane. 
The fish maybe a bit better, but that’s not my main concern, chips is where it’s at, and the chips are generally fucking terrible, frozen bastards fried. To be fair Melbourne appears to be a bit better than Sydney and Brisbane, although Brizzy has an English chippy up in the middle of nowhere past Cleveland.

There was a boozer near where you are now dude, the Smith - spent a fucking fortune on a new fit out and called itself smith and chips - with a chippy bolted into the side, sold fucking fried frozen chips, needless to say the chippy didn’t last long.

there’s another decent one up in the Spot near Randwick. Proper Anglo-Irish yard. We went for me mates birthday, adults scoffed it, kids looked at us like - what is thy is greasy shite.

I think it’s universally recognised (by me anyway) that the best fish and chips are to be found in Yorkshire. What’s not so well known is that the best of the best are to be found in the birthplace of Robin Hood (Wakefield).

You will find many an excellent chip and beautifully battered fish along the counties east coast but the Kingfisher, just off J39 of the M1 is where genuine, world class fish and chips are to be found. For those partial, their mushy peas are also the best around. 

If you’re ever in the area, give them a try. Don’t say I sent you as they will have no idea who I am. 

4E8BA44E-6575-4988-ADA3-639B5EF111DE.jpeg

Strange, I saw this thread and felt obliged to pop in and say Yorkshire folk just don’t do chippies well at all.

they're generally good at fish, I’ll grant them that, but it ends there. Chippy chips here are hit and miss. Often greasy and limp.

opening times are no use to anyone that wants them outside of dedicated lunch or tea times. 

don’t ever ask for a fish cake or you’ll be met with an offensive concoction of a slice of fish sandwiches between two slices of potato (what id call a scallop in the Black Country), battered and deep fried.

you have to do your own salt and vinegar too, which I’ve never been ok with.

also, no variety. No chicken. 

never found a chippy here (and I’ve been to that kingfisher before as I used to work and play five a side down that way) that would hold a candle to the Greek owned one near me growing up. Bostin that was.

17 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Strange, I saw this thread and felt obliged to pop in and say Yorkshire folk just don’t do chippies well at all.

they're generally good at fish, I’ll grant them that, but it ends there. Chippy chips here are hit and miss. Often greasy and limp.

opening times are no use to anyone that wants them outside of dedicated lunch or tea times. 

don’t ever ask for a fish cake or you’ll be met with an offensive concoction of a slice of fish sandwiches between two slices of potato (what id call a scallop in the Black Country), battered and deep fried.

never found a chippy here (and I’ve been to that kingfisher before as I used to work and play five a side down that way) that would hold a candle to the Greek owned one near me growing up. Bostin that was.

Are you not a native of Yorkshire? Always thought you were. 

Each to their own I suppose but we’ll clearly have to agree to disagree here. Why would anyone want to go to a fish and chip shop and order chicken! There was a chippy near me, when I was a kid, whose entire menu consisted of; fish, chips and that’s it. Not a fish cake or mushy pea in sight. I’m not exaggerating to say they used to queue out of the door the twice a week the old lady that owned it actually opened up. 

You are right that certain parts of Yorkshire don’t do quality fish and chips. South Yorkshire is a big drop off from the quality to be found in the east, west and north. 

I’m sure if you asked them to add the salt and vinegar for you they’d oblige. They’re not all cantankerous so and so's in Yorkshire as I’m sure you know. Most of them are, but not all. 

I now need to contemplate the fact that I share a County with someone who thinks the Greeks do better fish and chips than a Yorkshireman. This day has got off to a strange old start. 

I want variety to be available. In Liverpool when I lived there, every chippy seemed to be a Chinese takeaway too, and as a result the fish and chip quality suffered, but I could have half chips, half fried rice and gravy. That’s no bad thing.

a quarter chicken and chips is wonderful.

a kebab even, why not as a rare treat?

admittedly, if I’m going to a chippy 9 times in 10 I want battered cod or haddock, but but the knowledge I could have a 1/4 chicken keeps me interested.

more than anything, if I want to have it at 8:30, that should be possible.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I want variety to be available. In Liverpool when I lived there, every chippy seemed to be a Chinese takeaway too, and as a result the fish and chip quality suffered, but I could have half chips, half fried rice and gravy. That’s no bad thing.

admittedly, if I’m going to a chippy 9 times in 10 I want battered cod or haddock, but but the knowledge I could have a 1/4 chicken keeps me interested.

8.30? am or pm?

10 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It certainly is, but can be purchased in dedicated establishments.

11 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

As above.

11 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

admittedly, if I’m going to a chippy 9 times in 10 I want battered cod or haddock

Cod! No self respecting Yorkshire chippy should be serving this. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Tea in Yorkshire is served between 4.30pm and 6.30pm. Eating any later is for continentals. 

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Nah, having the option to do your own salt and vinegar should be mandatory rather than the minge bag amount they put on. My technique is to smother in salt, shake the bag vigorously to allow salt to get to the chips near the bottom of the bag, then drown in vinegar, perform a similar shake for the same reason followed by a light dusting of salt to finish off so that it sticks to the vinegar. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It’s a fucking great thing if you find a place that does nice fish and chips. 

Fish and salt & pepper chips. Food of champions. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Are you not a native of Yorkshire? Always thought you were. 

Each to their own I suppose but we’ll clearly have to agree to disagree here. Why would anyone want to go to a fish and chip shop and order chicken! There was a chippy near me, when I was a kid, whose entire menu consisted of; fish, chips and that’s it. Not a fish cake or mushy pea in sight. I’m not exaggerating to say they used to queue out of the door the twice a week the old lady that owned it actually opened up. 

You are right that certain parts of Yorkshire don’t do quality fish and chips. South Yorkshire is a big drop off from the quality to be found in the east, west and north. 

I’m sure if you asked them to add the salt and vinegar for you they’d oblige. They’re not all cantankerous so and so's in Yorkshire as I’m sure you know. Most of them are, but not all. 

I now need to contemplate the fact that I share a County with someone who thinks the Greeks do better fish and chips than a Yorkshireman. This day has got off to a strange old start. 

My favourite chippy ever was in Sheffield. The menu was tiny, it was open 4.30 - 6.30 5 days a week but it was sensational. This was 30 years ago

Just checked... it's still there, Broomhead Fish & Chips, Crookes, Sheffield

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Fried rice and fucking gravy, that is beyond the pale. Lash it straight in the bin. Bearing in mind I eat some fucking terrible stuff meself, this is poor, poor, poor.

34 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Nah, having the option to do your own salt and vinegar should be mandatory rather than the minge bag amount they put on. My technique is to smother in salt, shake the bag vigorously to allow salt to get to the chips near the bottom of the bag, then drown in vinegar, perform a similar shake for the same reason followed by a light dusting of salt to finish off so that it sticks to the vinegar. 

Don’t go to mingbag chippys, if they don’t have at least 5 good vinegar strokes, Fuck them off.

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Isn't Whitby famous for its Chippy and Goths? 

44 minutes ago, mattyq said:

My favourite chippy ever was in Sheffield. The menu was tiny, it was open 4.30 - 6.30 5 days a week but it was sensational. This was 30 years ago

Just checked... it's still there, Broomhead Fish & Chips, Crookes, Sheffield

I lived for a period on Abbeydale Road. The chippy there was terrible. I was obviously in the wrong part of Sheffield. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I lived for a period on Abbeydale Road. The chippy there was terrible. I was obviously in the wrong part of Sheffield. 

I only ever went down that way to watch the cricket... I must have sensed it lacked a decent chippy. Can't remember any decent pubs there, either