You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate your local chippy

Sugar Ape

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Award winning voted the best in Hertfordshire WJ Rowe and sons in Stevenage.....fish is skinned both sides...batter thin coated....chips golden brown and done to perfection and all comes in a cardborad box @ £5.00 for large fish/chips...

The best i've ever had and the queue to get some proves it!

Jumbos ( I think it's called Yangs now ) on Deysbrook Lane is not bad & you get humungous portions.

As the earlier West Derby lads said before K Tams & The China Court are both fine.

Poison Petes opposite the Sefton is hideous.

Only lunatics and drunks go to Poison Petes, its fucking shocking.

The curry and chips from the Lee Park chippy are top of my "To Do List" when I get back home. I just hoping Ginger Hulk can confirm it's still there.

Like sugar ape said, lee park shops are all shut now, lee park has been virtually nuked in the past few years. Doesn't look too much like the gate way to hell any more.

ocean fry is nasty, but the bear and staff pub is half decent now, mate is manager in their.

Marios on childwall did a monster of a mixed chicken and shish kebab, until it closed down.

Cannot believe this fight is on PPV, Neither DeGale or Groves are big enough outside of fairly hardcore boxing fans to justify it.

So what are you going to get from the chippy while you watch the fight Thomo ?

p.s. Brahmer v Cleverly is nominally top of the bill.

• 4 months later...
Nah the Olympic was an 8/10 about 15 years when Stavros (can't remember his real name so I'll just typically stereotype) used to charge 55p for a portion of chips, that and Chans chippy on Homestead was also top around the same time, used to knock round with the lad who's family owned it. Mabel who who used to work there (the daughter) was a vision of pure beauty.

The worst chippy though was The Bungalow in The Marian Square, rank of the highest standard of rank.

' Stavros ' has sold the chippy now Skids, under new management. Aintree fish bar has been sold as well. Haven't been to either yet ( Stavros still getting refurbished ) but I will report back once I've been.

Been going to one called ' K you like ' at the back of Old Roan station. It is a genuine 10/10. Fantastic food and service. Amazing.

My local chippy is just a few minutes down the road.

Now, there's plenty of 'chip shop awards' about, and plenty of chippys proclaim to have won this award or that, but the proper award, the big one, is the National Fish and Chip Awards. My local, 'Fish and Chips at 149', this year won the North-East category (even though I don't live in the North East), putting them through to the national final, which they also won.

Meet the winners

This isn't some tin-pot award, but organised by seafood.org. All the fish they use is sustainable, and upon entering the chippy you actually see the name of the trawler that landed that days fish. The batter is amazing, and the portion sizes are extremely generous. The service is fantastic, but it can take quite a while to get served as the place is absolutely rammed - even on a weeknight you can be queuing out the door for 20 odd minutes (well worth the wait though). Yorkshire is renowned for its Fish and Chips, and were a seaside town so competion is fierce.

They also won East Yorkshire Small Business of the Year, and have won awards for the apprentice scheme they have set up. Professional Mole-Wearer Jay Raynor also paid a visit this summer for The Guardian - I believe I can fry | Life and style | The Observer

My local chippy is just a few minutes down the road.

Now, there's plenty of 'chip shop awards' about, and plenty of chippys proclaim to have won this award or that, but the proper award, the big one, is the National Fish and Chip Awards. My local, 'Fish and Chips at 149', this year won the North-East category (even though I don't live in the North East), putting them through to the national final, which they also won.

Meet the winners

This isn't some tin-pot award, but organised by seafood.org. All the fish they use is sustainable, and upon entering the chippy you actually see the name of the trawler that landed that days fish. The batter is amazing, and the portion sizes are extremely generous. The service is fantastic, but it can take quite a while to get served as the place is absolutely rammed - even on a weeknight you can be queuing out the door for 20 odd minutes (well worth the wait though). Yorkshire is renowned for its Fish and Chips, and were a seaside town so competion is fierce.

They also won East Yorkshire Small Business of the Year, and have won awards for the apprentice scheme they have set up. Professional Mole-Wearer Jay Raynor also paid a visit this summer for The Guardian - I believe I can fry | Life and style | The Observer

Sounds crap.

Mine is called "The Fish Basket". Does the basics well, but as usual for southern chippies, they can't do fucking curry sauce properly - sweet, lumpy, bright yellow, pointless.

I need to get my fix of proper chips, peas and curry sauce when I'm back in Liverpool, although annoyingly I wasn't allowed this weekend because apparently I'd just eaten lunch in town and it would "spoil my dinner".

The Captains Table in New Quay (Looking at you, Section). Smaller portions but also lovely. Also has the fruitiest staff on earth. You try asking for a nice, juicy saveloy whilst keeping a straight face...

Bad form and all that, quoting myself, but this one of my faves made the headlines this week in the local paper.

Haven't the police got bigger fish to fry? | News

Dark days, folks. Dark days.

Bad form and all that, quoting myself, but this one of my faves made the headlines this week in the local paper.

Haven't the police got bigger fish to fry? | News

Dark days, folks. Dark days.

Blocked access? Yeah, it looks really busy that road.

From the looks of that picture, that place sees about 5 cars a year, and even then the locals think it's "witchcraft"

• 1 year later...

' Stavros ' has sold the chippy now Skids, under new management. Aintree fish bar has been sold as well. Haven't been to either yet ( Stavros still getting refurbished ) but I will report back once I've been.

Been going to one called ' K you like ' at the back of Old Roan station. It is a genuine 10/10. Fantastic food and service. Amazing.

I'm pleased to report two years and maybe 50 meals later that this is the greatest chippy known to mankind.