You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate your local chippy

Sugar Ape

Best Chipper in Cork - Lennox's ...this place is a institution in Cork,Everything made in-house ,amazing home made chips,and their pies are stunning. Not like the traditional English ones,these are done in balls and covered in batter.10/10

Lennox's Take Away Food - Cork

Best Chipper in Dublin - Beshoffs in Howth.Fresh Fish is a must here as its so fresh,the boats unload a few yards away and it is consistantly divine.10/10

Beshoff's - Howth, Co. Dublin

Beshoffs fishmarket is nearby too,great for buying fish straight off the trawler but also great for the Tapas bar at the back of the shop.Fresh Prawns and chips are amazing here 10/10

I reckon I have been to at least 10 different chippys since I came to Liverpool 3 years ago.

They have all been shite. Nowhere does a good fish. The chips are always soggy.

I hate the concept of having the Chinese and the fish and chip shop in the one establishment.

They have it done correctly back home in Ireland, and even Woo can testify to that.

ITICA. ITICA. ITICA.

Guest The Chimp

The curry and chips from the Lee Park chippy are top of my "To Do List" when I get back home. I just hoping Ginger Hulk can confirm it's still there.

The curry and chips from the Lee Park chippy are top of my "To Do List" when I get back home. I just hoping Ginger Hulk can confirm it's still there.

It's been shut for a while that mate, unless its re-opened in the last couple of months since I last went past. I agree though, used to be a nice chippy.

The ocean fry on gateacre brow is probably the nearest to there now, but I've never liked that.

If its chips your after,the Lobster Pot in town wins hands down. I live in Kirkby and the best chinese chippy is Gerry Wongs (proper scouse chinese name that!) Sweet & sour is tremendous & the best salt pepper chicken ever. Steves in the square by Kirkby station is fine too. As someone else on here has already mentioned, if its fish your after, ther Melling Fish Bar is wonderful. The worse one by far is the one off Windermere Drive in Tower Hill, the Zhang Garden i think, absolutely fuckin dreadful, avoid at all costs.

Guest The Chimp
It's been shut for a while that mate, unless its re-opened in the last couple of months since I last went past. I agree though, used to be a nice chippy.

The ocean fry on gateacre brow is probably the nearest to there now, but I've never liked that.

Ta for that. Shame about the Lee Park closing down. Saw loads of new housing being built up where the flats used to be last time I was home (so about three years now). I used to go the Black Bull on a Monday with the Mrs which is just over the road from the Ocean Fry - was always a good end to the night going in there - will deffo be giving that a revisit. The closest is actually the Netherly chippy at the top of Garden Lodge (if that's still there?) It's only a couple of minutes walk from where I'll be staying when I get back but it requires SAS-level training to get there and back in one piece.

Ta for that. Shame about the Lee Park closing down. Saw loads of new housing being built up where the flats used to be last time I was home (so about three years now). I used to go the Black Bull on a Monday with the Mrs which is just over the road from the Ocean Fry - was always a good end to the night going in there - will deffo be giving that a revisit. The closest is actually the Netherly chippy at the top of Garden Lodge (if that's still there?) It's only a couple of minutes walk from where I'll be staying when I get back but it requires SAS-level training to get there and back in one piece.

Yeah I meant the ocean fry is probably the nearest to Lee park. I lived on garden lodge for about 15 years but moved a few years ago now, still think the chippy is open by the shops. Probably best driving there rather than wade through the scallys to get there!

Guest The Chimp

Sorry, when I said "nearest" I meant to where I'd be not to the Lee Park. I'd just rather have gone there (Lee Park) and avoid all the loonies by the shops in Middlemass.

As for the chippy (it's actually called "The Chippy"), it is still open. I'm just going to don a black North Face and twat hat, borrow the nieces Staffy, and walk there with my hand down my trackies going "s'appenin lid" to everyone. FTM. :monkeyooh:

Mr's Lams formerly of Hawthorne Road Bootle now on Litherland Road do a cracking curry sauce, looks like the contents of a babies nappy but tastes superb. Best curry sauce i have found in Liverpool. Fried stuff tends to be a touch greasy. Everything is cooked to order so you usually have a bit of a wait, worth it for the curry though. 8/10

sxouvr.jpg

Guest The Chimp
Central Cuisine at the junction of Mersey Road and Aigburth Road, 5/10 but its at the top of the street so occasionally nip there.

Steve's in the Vale, 9/10 tremendous chippy, it would be 10/10 but the place is so good that its takes fucking ages to get served me friday night tea so a point off.

Chris's on Rose Lane. 7/10 Perfectly placed for picking up some scran while staggering home from Allerton Road. Hard to be objective as I've always had a skinful before I go there consequently it seems good but could be crap.

Steve's is sound - good shout that. Chris's used to be great but after Chris retired (or certainly was less involved in there) its standards slipped a bit. Still decent mind but for an extra five minute drive it's Steve's all the way.

If its chips your after,the Lobster Pot in town wins hands down. I live in Kirkby and the best chinese chippy is Gerry Wongs (proper scouse chinese name that!) Sweet & sour is tremendous & the best salt pepper chicken ever. Steves in the square by Kirkby station is fine too. As someone else on here has already mentioned, if its fish your after, ther Melling Fish Bar is wonderful. The worse one by far is the one off Windermere Drive in Tower Hill, the Zhang Garden i think, absolutely fuckin dreadful, avoid at all costs.

And the one off Windermere Drive is in the middle of a minefield too. I drive past it on the main road just off Windermere going to work and a house is all boarded up 2 doors in. I thought there'd been a house fire, turns out it was a firework/home made bomb combo that devastated it and smashed every single window when it went off last week.

Leeds' chippies truly are among the best on Earth. Scarborough chippies run them close. My choices: Bretts in Headingley = 8.25/10. (Marked down for exorbitant price rises when the cricket's on).

Beaten only by Kirbys in Meanwood = 9.78/10 (The chips are always perfect and the fishes are massive and esconced in fluffy, crispy batter wi' bits. Limited menu but what they do they do perfectly. There is none better).

Chippies in Oxfordshire are fucking shit. They fry everything in nasty vegetable oil and worse of all you can't get a decent gravy anywhere. In my local if you ask for gravy they put the kettle on and add the water to grave granules...shocking

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm not a huge fan of gravy with my fish and chips, but no respectable chippy switches the kettle on to make gravy.

Mr's Lams formerly of Hawthorne Road Bootle now on Litherland Road do a cracking curry sauce, looks like the contents of a babies nappy but tastes superb. Best curry sauce i have found in Liverpool. Fried stuff tends to be a touch greasy. Everything is cooked to order so you usually have a bit of a wait, worth it for the curry though. 8/10

Those chips look rank...bad or going bad potatoes used to make them..look soggy as shite

These are what real chips look like ..this is a Lennoxs potato & Cheese pie and chips

Jackie Lennox Chip Shop's Photos - 03 April 2011 | Facebook

Lennoxs is fucking amazing. Used to go there very time we went to Cork to visit our Granda. Shame he no longer lives there as we won't get another chance to eat there. You ever been to the Golden Chip in Dundonald, Gav?

Nope ,not yet ...but youve got my attention.Used go to Hot-stuff in Ballyhack allright,superb chips,amazing onion rings too.Tried Friar Tuck as well and that wasn't bad either .Arnolds is shit tho

Nope ,not yet ...but youve got my attention.Used go to Hot-stuff in Ballyhack allright,superb chips,amazing onion rings too.Tried Friar Tuck as well and that wasn't bad either .Arnolds is shit tho

Next time you are in Ballyhack, get the wife to bring you to The Golden Chip (on the Comber Road in Dundonald). Best chippy I've ever been in. Won loads of awards.

Wish we had a chippy over here! When I was back home, I lived in North Wales and the chippies were generally a bit crap. I was in Holywell and the chippies were really kebab and fried chicken type places. Nice food but the chips were shit. The one down by the marina in Conwy is lovely. Can't remember the name of it though. In Liverpool, the Lobster Pot is fantastic. Whoever said about chippies in Yorkshire being good I'll agree. Must be the proper lard they use. I could kill for a bag of chips, loads of salt and vinegar, large sausage and curry sauce right now! Looks like I'll have to settle for kotthu rotty instead...