You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate your local chippy

Sugar Ape

Chaus on St Marys Road in Garston, 6/10.

Decent sweet and sour pork, but their special fried rice doesn't have any gravy! Prawn Crackers are crap too.

Sang Sang on Aigburth Road, 9/10.

Good sweet and sour pork, good special fried rice, decent english bits, and very friendly staff.

Rice Bowl in some back road in Garston, 9/10.

Friendly staff, very cheap food, and free stuff when you spend £10, £15, £20, whatever.

Don't know of any proper chippys round here, there all chinese.

Don't you dare moan, I'd kill for a Chinese chippy.

Actually there is one by the Battle of Trafalgar, but it's doesn't do Chinese meals (Actually weren't you in Brighton once?).

mine isnt the worst,

but yesterday, i had a batter burger and chips from it that where fucking woeful

i just want to share something with the board

i do often have "brainwaves", needless to say 99.9% of these are woeful, HOWEVER, yesterdays, imo, is groundbreaking, i have replaced my usual vinegar botle for a small watering bottle that you'd use for gardening, the coverage you get in one "squirt" is AMAZING

have i found vinegar nirvana, or is it a shite idea????

mine isnt the worst,

but yesterday, i had a batter burger and chips from it that where fucking woeful

i just want to share something with the board

i do often have "brainwaves", needless to say 99.9% of these are woeful, HOWEVER, yesterdays, imo, is groundbreaking, i have replaced my usual vinegar botle for a small watering bottle that you'd use for gardening, the coverage you get in one "squirt" is AMAZING

have i found vinegar nirvana, or is it a shite idea????

I got something like that as well:

Stainless%20Steel%20Oil%20Pourer%207cm350ml.jpg

I reckon I have been to at least 10 different chippys since I came to Liverpool 3 years ago.

They have all been shite. Nowhere does a good fish. The chips are always soggy.

I hate the concept of having the Chinese and the fish and chip shop in the one establishment.

They have it done correctly back home in Ireland, and even Woo can testify to that.

I agree with Cain, Chippy/Chinese combos just doesn't seem right. However, Chinese places that do chips tend to do really good ones. There is a difference, the Chinese don't seem to have mastered the chip shop chip but do their only versions very nicely.

I used to knock around the streets of Old Roan/ Aintree Village in my youth.

What you meant to say was that you were never out of the Paradox, trying you best to pull birds from my old school and sitting off by the B&Q and Maccies when you'd been unsuccessful and alone.

That is what you told me in work one day isn't it?

Jimmy's? Full of birds who look like they have the full contents of the the fryer in there but doll themselves up like they are on a night out.

That's the place.

EDIT: Just seen Mike's post; George and Jerry's it is.

The New Celtic in Aberaeron. Wonderful. Massive bag of chips and a piece of fish so fresh it almost tries to swim off in the vinegar.

The Captains Table in New Quay (Looking at you, Section). Smaller portions but also lovely. Also has the fruitiest staff on earth. You try asking for a nice, juicy saveloy whilst keeping a straight face...

Some of my best friends are paedophiles.

Yeah, but you're only 9, so what do you expect?

Good call on the Dolphin, Baldi. Occasionally call in there when I'm visiting my mum.

My local is Sam's on Lower Breck Road. Food is acceptably edible, I suppose, but they do have a weird idea of what constitutes a "small" portion of chips. And for that reason, I'll give them 8.5/10.

Are there any chippies in Liverpool that serve real, identifiable fish, rather than flavourless, reconstituted lumps of white... stuff?

I reckon I have been to at least 10 different chippys since I came to Liverpool 3 years ago.

They have all been shite. Nowhere does a good fish. The chips are always soggy.

I hate the concept of having the Chinese and the fish and chip shop in the one establishment.

They have it done correctly back home in Ireland, and even Woo can testify to that.

Cain if you want good fish & chips then go to Byrns chippy on the corner of Bedford Road and Stuart Road in Walton. It's a propper English chippy. The lad who owns it is the 4th generation of his family to run it. Everything is cooked from fresh and if it's a nice fish your after, then that's the place (npi) to go. Also, try one of his salmon fish cakes.

The best chippy by mine is the one by the ground next to La Rouge. Best salt n pepper ribs in Liverpool. most of their other stuff is sound to.

The OK Chinese on Walton Road by the Pitz is sound to but it's easy to miss as it doesn't look like your usual chippy from the outside.

Central Cuisine at the junction of Mersey Road and Aigburth Road, 5/10 but its at the top of the street so occasionally nip there.

Steve's in the Vale, 9/10 tremendous chippy, it would be 10/10 but the place is so good that its takes fucking ages to get served me friday night tea so a point off.

Chris's on Rose Lane. 7/10 Perfectly placed for picking up some scran while staggering home from Allerton Road. Hard to be objective as I've always had a skinful before I go there consequently it seems good but could be crap.

There's a chippy opened in the Cornerhouse bar (!) next to the cenotaph near my works.

To be honest, the place is a bit of a scut hole, but they do have deep fried haggis and deep fried black pudding on the menu.

On Wednesday I went for a deep fried haggis with chips and gravy.

It was fucking delicious.

• 1 month later...
Guest San Don

Our local chippy has just come 3rd in thenational chippy comp of 2011. Erm, 2011 is just over 4 months old. And the chippy is pretty shit imo.

Just been in the Olympic in Old Roan / Aintree Village, 20 minutes it took to get a chip barm 'cos they " didn't have any chips ready " who would have thought people would come in on a Satuday night and ask for chips?
They wont be winning any gold medals with service like that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Mine is fucking shit. 2/10 on a good day. The chips are pale, soggy and refried. The batter on fish and sausages is soggy and soaked in grease, and the people in there are cucking funts.

I'm tempted to buy the shop next door and convert it into a chippy that offers really good food but under cuts the bastards. I'd do it, but then I'd own a fish and chip shop and I'd have spent thousands just to put a chippy out of business. Still, the fuckers do push it.

We have 3 that could be described as local (within 3 miles) with one half a mile down the road. The one down the road is the best within about 20 miles and that includes one which is run by (GRRRRRRRRRRRRR) Prick Stein (even though it's not advertised as so it's just called Ricks) it's expensive and to be totally honest not that good.