You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Damien Comolli

fin-bat

Sorry guys, I´ve taken a few beers, so I apologize for starting a new topic, but I´d like to hear your views about this guy called Damien Comolli. I mean, he is one of the few people on this planet who makes me feel that he´s smarter than me, just by looking at his picture. Anybody else get these vibes from him ? Is he some kind of intellectual monster or something ? He´s a bit scary, isn´t he ? An enigma. Would hate to spent my days with someone like that. It´s always better if you feel that you´re dealing with idiots...

Sorry guys, I´ve taken a few beers, so I apologize for starting a new topic, but I´d like to hear your views about this guy called Damien Comolli. I mean, he is one of the few people on this planet who makes me feel that he´s smarter than me, just by looking at his picture. Anybody else get these vibes from him ? Is he some kind of intellectual monster or something ? He´s a bit scary, isn´t he ? An enigma. Would hate to spent my days with someone like that. It´s always better if you feel that you´re dealing with idiots...

A few beers this early on a Wednesday, you've more to be worrying about than Commoli

No howlers yet. It took big balls to pay 35m for Andy Carroll. A lot of people would have been scared to make that deal.

I was told it was him who identified and persuaded Steve Clarke to join.

His problem is going to be that the press will give him a hard time because he's the easy target (vs. The King) in a role towards which they are naturally suspicious.

You could see the beginnings of it with the Adam and Suarez deals. There was him taking a patient, measured approach, you would assume, and there is the press and the fans that fall for their shiny objects berating him for an 8m starting offer, dragging his feet, embarrassing the club in negotiations, etc etc.

It seems as though everyone's roles have been clearly defined so no-one is treading on anyone's toes which historically has been the main issue with these types of positions. He's worked at some top clubs and seems to be doing the business so far. John Henry and Tom Werner are no mugs and the fact that not only have they appointed him in the first place but then given him a promotion speaks volumes. I for one will back him until he does something that causes me to question his abilities.

It seems as though everyone's roles have been clearly defined so no-one is treading on anyone's toes which historically has been the main issue with these types of positions. He's worked at some top clubs and seems to be doing the business so far. John Henry and Tom Werner are no mugs and the fact that not only have they appointed him in the first place but then given him a promotion speaks volumes. I for one will back him until he does something that causes me to question his abilities.

He's very lucky to be working with Kenny (or Canny, as I prefer to call him) because he is someone who really, really gets the collective responsibility thing (the when to say "Yes" thing and the more difficult when to say "fuck off" thing).

If comolli was teamed with your typical egotistical manager, he would fare much worse.

You're one of the few people on the planet who makes me feel as if there is no hope for the planet

I'll go along with the so far so good line of thought. I am naturally suspicious towards his role (not the man himself), but we'll have to see how it goes.

I guess one way of looking at it is at least with a football man in that role it's better than when Purslow was rumoured to be playing Football Manager in between the time Rafa was sacked and Roy hired.

Quality tag BTW.