You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bruce Grobbelaar

mht1892

Guest davelfc

I bumped into him when he was at McDonalds in Liscard many many years ago, don't know why but they had arranged for him to be there for some reason. Anyway seemed a decent bloke, signed autographs and I have a picture of him holding one of my kids.

He was our goalkeeper at the time so that tells you how long ago it was.

Have any of you seen the videos? Pretty bad to be honest. Heres a quote from the judge,

"But he had in fact acted in a way in which no decent or honest footballer would act and in a way which could, if not exposed and stamped on, undermine the integrity of a game which earns the loyalty and support of millions."

Guest San Don
Have any of you seen the videos? Pretty bad to be honest. Heres a quote from the judge,

"But he had in fact acted in a way in which no decent or honest footballer would act and in a way which could, if not exposed and stamped on, undermine the integrity of a game which earns the loyalty and support of millions."

Yes, I've seen some vids. As for the judge, he apparently ignored a number of top keepers who said in the trial that Bruce didnt look like he'd thrown any games, the goals conceeded were not out of the ordinary etc, etc.

[YOUTUBE]29GpwMo0yII[/YOUTUBE]

Not sayin he did but WTF?

WTF what? Nothing you dont see in many games.

But as I said, if people want to believe the rag of a news paper who brought the story on the back of someone who had a grudge against Bruce, that's up to people to decide.

That and the Newcastle game against us look really bad. Either Brucey became more prone to surprisingly abject performances in his later years or he was on the rob. The thing about both of those games is that he looks like he has forgotten some basic rules of goalkeeping; they weren't just mistakes.

Yes, I've seen some vids. As for the judge, he apparently ignored a number of top keepers who said in the trial that Bruce didnt look like he'd thrown any games, the goals conceeded were not out of the ordinary etc, etc.

WTF what? Nothing you dont see in many games.

But as I said, if people want to believe the rag of a news paper who brought the story on the back of someone who had a grudge against Bruce, that's up to people to decide.

There's video footage of him basically agreeing to throw games for money. Yes, it was that rag, but to suggest it was some grabbed out of thin air made up story like the "Truth" headline is wrong. Yes, you may love Gorbbelaar, but letting that love mean you make excuses and deny what's right in front of you is wrong. And the goalkeepers who the defence brought in said that it was possible for those mistakes to happen in normal play. That was all. And I suppose I could make those mistakes. But a multi title and European Cup winning keeper diving out of the way like he did for Coles hattrick for us? Not having it.

That and the Newcastle game against us look really bad. Either Brucey became more prone to surprisingly abject performances in his later years or he was on the rob. The thing about both of those games is that he looks like he has forgotten some basic rules of goalkeeping; they weren't just mistakes.

The Newcastle game where we were 3 0 down at half time? My problem with that is why let 3 goals in all in the first half and then none in the second?

And 'if' he is guilty who were the other members of the team that threw it on the day because they were all awful and not just Grobbelaar?

He had his pay-off reduced to £1 and was ordered to pay 500k costs.

Regardless of the paper, his defence that he "was on a spying mission to find out who the crooks were" is fucking lame.

There were holes in the whole bribe scandal for sure, but enough substance to make Reds feel wary of the term 'Legend'.

Yep, his defence is the problem I have. Wasn't he filmed actually taking the money, and then when confronted it transpired he had never told the Police but was on a one man Detective mission? That takes some believing I have to say.

Yep, his defence is the problem I have. Wasn't he filmed actually taking the money, and then when confronted it transpired he had never told the Police but was on a one man Detective mission? That takes some believing I have to say.

I saw the video and I remember something about he was owed this money from a business partner for his share in a venture. That seems a fair defence to me.

My big problem is why it was paid in cash in a hotel room and not into a bank account or by cheque? Maybe tax avoidance?

I think there was some questionable stuff after he left us but I dont think much happened when playing for us.

I saw the video and I remember something about he was owed this money from a business partner for his share in a venture. That seems a fair defence to me.

My big problem is why it was paid in cash in a hotel room and not into a bank account or by cheque? Maybe tax avoidance?

I think there was some questionable stuff after he left us but I dont think much happened when playing for us.

Tbh my memory of it all is a bit murky but i'm almost certain there was footage of him describing how he actually let goals in, if memory serves he explains how he accidentaly saved one as well, apparantly this was "evidence gathering". Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but like I say his defence really does take some believing.

Guest San Don
There's video footage of him basically agreeing to throw games for money. Yes, it was that rag, but to suggest it was some grabbed out of thin air made up story like the "Truth" headline is wrong. Yes, you may love Gorbbelaar, but letting that love mean you make excuses and deny what's right in front of you is wrong. And the goalkeepers who the defence brought in said that it was possible for those mistakes to happen in normal play. That was all. And I suppose I could make those mistakes. But a multi title and European Cup winning keeper diving out of the way like he did for Coles hattrick for us? Not having it.

Your comments about 'loving' Bruce is just typical of your OTT outlook.

And I think you'll find that Bob Wilson (and Gordon banks IIRC) said they wouldnt have been able to stop any of the Newcastle goals.

By all means dont have it. But dont be such a condescending prik about other people's views and opinions.

• Downvote 1

As for the judge, he apparently ignored a number of top keepers who said in the trial that Bruce didnt look like he'd thrown any games, the goals conceeded were not out of the ordinary etc, etc.

Just to clarify this, they didn't ignore the expert evidence (from Bob Wilson and Alan Ball.) They accepted that there was no evidence Grobbelaar had deliberately conceded any goals, and that's why the decision was in his favour.

The damages were reduced to £1 because there was evidence that he had accepted a bribe on at least one occasion, and his explanation was not considered credible. It was therefore considered that he didn't have much of a reputation left to defame.

If you've got a lot of time on your hands you can read the full verdict here-

House of Lords - Grobbelaar (Appellant) v News Group Newspapers Ltd and Another (Respondents)

Bruce was my hero when I was a kid so I had always given him the benefit of the doubt, but having read that I'd have to say he comes out of it looking pretty bad.

• Upvote 1

Spoke to him about Liverpool and Dalglish for over half hour it was quality he said to me that Kenny is as good as a manager that he was as a player, spoke about of things it was great to sit back and have a one to one with him he was a top bloke, had a picture with him as well and he stayed in la manga so in the nights I seen him in most of the bars I was in and I spoke to him a few times, he also introduced me to pat Jennings as well who was an absolute gent, biggest hands I've ever shook in my life, was a top weekend.... Met Alan macinally as well who was an absolute cunt, what an obnoxious teat he was, the complete opposite to the others.

• 2 years later...

Bruce has said today that LFC will sign a "big name in January".

Just reading through this thread, shame he's not more highly thought of as a red, unless people still think he's guilty!

I asked him for an autograph at the age of about 8 and as well as saying no he shoved right past me. Unlike Mark Walters 5 minutes earlier who not only did but took time to chat to me too.

I've always thought Bruce was a prick ever since.

funnily enough I got a picture of me, my sister and childhood best mate with Bruce when I was about eight. Got a picture with rushie too. He was brilliant with us.

legend for me.

Bruce has said today that LFC will sign a "big name in January".

Just reading through this thread, shame he's not more highly thought of as a red, unless people still think he's guilty!

I think shit sticks.  I want to remember the happy times that he gave us but some people think he was indeed guilty and who knows.

He even played a little part in Istanbul all those years later. 

You can't help but think that he was dodgy in his last couiple of seasons playing when you look at the videos. He doesn't ever seem to actually put his hands out to make a save - he just appears to dive without his arms moving towards the ball.There is an incident in the 3-3 Manu game where he does it but the ball just hits him and he looks so pissed off that he actually saved it. The 3-0 Newcastle game is the one everyone remembers but it happened on many occasions and I remember mates commenting about it after games. He was the same at Southampton too.

Compare that with his early career where he was making fantastic saves all the time and it's easy to see why people think he's tarnished.

Telegraph had extracts from that new book Red Machine, this one had me laughing out loud on the train

Bruce Grobbelaar nods earnestly and begins. “I can tell you this because it’s history and we both laugh about it,” says the 55-year-old, who won more medals at Liverpool than any other goalkeeper in the club’s history. “I broke Steve McMahon’s nose twice in one night.”

It was October 1987 and Liverpool had beaten Dundee 4-0 in a friendly. There was a party at Royal Saint Andrews, overlooking the golf course. “We were all having a pint afterwards and Steve got into a disagreement with (Liverpool teammate) Barry Venison. All of the Dundee players wanted to get involved, so I pulled the pair of them to one side.”

McMahon’s ire turned towards Grobbelaar. “Steve blew his top and swung a punch at me. So I head-butted him and bust his nose. He whinged to (manager) Kenny [Dalglish] and the boss tried to blame me. But the receptionist of the hotel confirmed that Steve was the aggressor.”

Grobbelaar roomed with Craig Johnston. “The attitude from the decision makers was probably “Let’s put the two freaks together.” Craig was a constant moaner. After the fight, he refused to room with me. “You know these Scousers,” he said. “Macca will try to get into our room and attack you.

"He must have been desperate because he moved in with Steve Nicol for the night. Nobody ever wanted to room with Stevie because he was a bloody nightmare. All he did was eat crisps and talk."

At 3.20am Grobbelaar was awoken by somebody knocking a lampshade outside his door. “I hid behind the door in the bathroom and watched the person creep in. Craig was right in his prediction – he was canny like that. I tapped Macca on the shoulder and smacked him across the nose for the second time in the night. He never messed with me again.”

more interesting stuff in the article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10366731/Liverpool-FC-book-extract-Bruce-Grobbelaar-on-how-he-broke-Steve-McMahons-nose-...-twice-in-one-night.html

I don't believe for a second he ever chucked a game for us and until someone can prove it he's still a legend for me.

[YOUTUBE]F2GyLdD1iwE[/YOUTUBE]

What Zig said. No way did Brucie throw a game. I'm not having it. Prove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free