You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bruce Grobbelaar

mht1892

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

He was kept on because he was cheap and we had teams who could win.  He was caught on camera moaning about how poor he was paid by us and that’s why he resorted to taking (alleged) bungs. 

Going on about a wonder save in a derby, big deal, what about the times he threw games against them. 

Swear to god, some people on here tolerate some absolute shite because they’re zany while they take the piss out of us

Oh c’mon. Let it go. It’s OK to beg to differ and that’s fine. But there is a confluence of irrefutable evidence to support Brucie’s contribution.

I do agree he stayed too long, but at his peak? You have to admit that Bob, Joe and Kenny weren’t soft enough to tolerate any player that would have possibly jeopardized the teams success. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ant 2 Threads said:

Brucie was polarizing for some. I kind of get that.

However, I’ll always cite the save from Graeme Sharp in the 86 cup final as a prime example of his brilliance. The athleticism of that save is rarely seen, even today. And I don’t want to hear about it only being necessary because he was out of position.

The only reason he was out of position was because Jockie uncharacteristically hoofed it across the front of his own 18 yard box, and Brucie’s recovery was out of this world.

In that 86 final, he had a bit of a shoving match with Beglin and then proceded to roll the ball to him from about 2 yards and pick up the pass back as if nothing had happened. That 86 final for the first hour was full of uncharacteristic decision making by our players (not least the Hansen example you've mentioned) but once we got the equaliser, we suddenly found our mojo and took the game away frm Everton.

19 hours ago, Red74 said:

Said it before but i can’t stand him. That tale about pissing on the goalposts was stolen from Barry Fry who done it at Birmingham years before to clear a gypsys curse.

Been watching the old games on LFCTV and he’s as embarrassing as I remembered. 

Good job we had a team who could carry this bum..

Kenny says in one of his autobiographies that he was going in for southall but directed the budget elsewhere. Think it was for Rushie’s return. You don’t hear many ex players praise him.

Stayed here far too long. 

Just put your medal's on the table Brucie.

Politically he's probably a twat as many of our heroes are / where but for a Liverpool fan to call him a bum in footballing sense is unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I used to like Grobbelaar. But as time went on I gradually came to the same conclusion as you. 

Him and his missus lived on Meadow Lane and shopped in Tesco in Broadway she expected her bags to be packed. Stuck up air hostess. Cabin crew I mean.

Went to an of season snooker league do at the golf club where my arl fella is a member, about 3 years ago.

Brucie was the guest speaker, and lthough I don't hold high any high regard for the bungs, I still went going to see him, I still went.

What a fucking gobshite, absolute loves that he was caught in dealing with 'brown envelopes'

Absolute playing legend for his contribution in the 80's.

Massive, massive, massive bellend. And the fact the club brough him back as an "ambassador" still baffles me.

On 06/03/2021 at 00:35, Red74 said:

Shilton must have had all his best games in the 70’s because I’ve never seen him have a good game from when I started watching footy in the 80’s. 

A fat fraud who should have been put out to pasture years before.

Nah, he fucking didn't. He was as rigid as a tree trunk and as agile as a breeze-block even in the 70s. This was him playing his part in England missing out on the 1974 World Cup.

There was no real rivalry between Brucie and Shilton. Southall, yes, and I always thought that Nev was way the better keeper.

Ray Clemence was Shilton's rival and, in my opinion, better than all of the above. I just don't think he was ever allowed to recover from Kenny's nutmeg in the Home International match. Even so, anybody who thought Shilton was the best was mad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Went to an of season snooker league do at the golf club where my arl fella is a member, about 3 years ago.

Brucie was the guest speaker, and lthough I don't hold high any high regard for the bungs, I still went going to see him, I still went.

What a fucking gobshite, absolute loves that he was caught in dealing with 'brown envelopes'

Absolute playing legend for his contribution in the 80's.

Massive, massive, massive bellend. And the fact the club brough him back as an "ambassador" still baffles me.

the club brought michael owen back too who had gone on to play for manchester united. the club will do whatever it needs to make a few quid. 

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, a couple of team 'mates' having a difference of opinion on a couple of incidents and that 'confirms' one's a 'liar' and the other isnt? Fuck me. What earth 

You just sit on here all day waiting to rush in to reply to the slightest bit of criticism don’t you. 

Even when it’s someone whose admitted throwing games while playing for us you weirdo.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Nah, he fucking didn't. He was as rigid as a tree trunk and as agile as a breeze-block even in the 70s. This was him playing his part in England missing out on the 1974 World Cup.

There was no real rivalry between Brucie and Shilton. Southall, yes, and I always thought that Nev was way the better keeper.

Ray Clemence was Shilton's rival and, in my opinion, better than all of the above. I just don't think he was ever allowed to recover from Kenny's nutmeg in the Home International match. Even so, anybody who thought Shilton was the best was mad.

Clemence>Southall>Grobbelaar>>Shilton.

I have no problem acknowledging good players, and maybe goalkeepers in particular, from other clubs. But I genuinly never rated Shilton.

5 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Southall and Grobbelaar were two totally different goalkeeper in two totally different playing styles. Big Nev was very much a 'line goalie' and his penalty area,but mostly six yard box were his home. That worked brilliantly for him,but Grobbelaar was almost a sweeper and played a lot with his feet and came for crosses,sometimes when he shouldn't! I think Nev was just better overall but if you put either of them in the other's shoes they would have been fish out of water. Grobbelaar's later career soured his legacy while Nev got out around about the right time for him.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Southall and Grobbelaar were two totally different goalkeeper in two totally different playing styles. Big Nev was very much a 'line goalie' and his penalty area,but mostly six yard box were his home. That worked brilliantly for him,but Grobbelaar was almost a sweeper and played a lot with his feet and came for crosses,sometimes when he shouldn't! I think Nev was just better overall but if you put either of them in the other's shoes they would have been fish out of water. Grobbelaar's later career soured his legacy while Nev got out around about the right time for him.

Good point.

On his day he was a fantastic keeper the League Cup final replay against Everton in 84 is probably the greatest example of a keeper being in total control of his penalty area. Every cross that was played into the box that night he caught.

But there are shit loads of games on YouTube we’re he makes mistake after mistake but we got away with it due to the brilliance of the team. And as much as a hero he was in Rome his massive mistakes cost us two European Cups in 82 and 83

The one below there was 10 minutes to go and we were one up on aggregate and cruising 

9 hours ago, Stickman said:

On his day he was a fantastic keeper the League Cup final replay against Everton in 84 is probably the greatest example of a keeper being in total control of his penalty area. Every cross that was played into the box that night he caught.

But there are shit loads of games on YouTube we’re he makes mistake after mistake but we got away with it due to the brilliance of the team. And as much as a hero he was in Rome his massive mistakes cost us two European Cups in 82 and 83

The one below there was 10 minutes to go and we were one up on aggregate and cruising 

Its always easy to find mistakes within several hundred games a goalkeeper played for a club. Not so easy to find hundreds of games where they didnt put a foot wrong though.

• Upvote 1