You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bruce Grobbelaar

mht1892

9 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Wasn’t he caught  on hidden camera talking about how he accidentally saved a goal? I seem to remember that as part of the trial 

Yeah he was , think it was the game against the Mancs in the 3-3 when Ruddock scored the equaliser. 

There was some very dodgy stuff going on around that imo and Grobbelars explanation was as thin as fuck 

14 hours ago, aws said:

Never thought he went as far as fixing matches.  I reckon he was just selling info to the bookies to give them an edge in fixing odds.  

I am more of this opinion as I don't see how he alone could influence the results without it being too obvious. It helped that we were shite anyway at the time so it was doubly harder to spot any wrongdoing.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am more of this opinion as I don't see how he alone could influence the results without it being too obvious. It helped that we were shite anyway at the time so it was doubly harder to spot any wrongdoing.

Did you never watch that Newcastle game?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

How did fash the bash get accused of match fixing?. All he ever used to do anyway was elbow people in the face and end other player's  careers. 

You forgot being busy being a massive cunt and trying to hush up his brothers problems and paying him off to not come out as gay and pretty much turning his back on him because he was worried about his macho crazy gang image 

The man has always been a cunt

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

You forgot being busy being a massive cunt and trying to hush up his brothers problems and paying him off to not come out as gay and pretty much turning his back on him because he was worried about his macho crazy gang image 

The man has always been a cunt

Indeed. Proper cunt. If you watch that crazy gang documentary from a few years ago I actually think he's mentally Ill.  Or a cunt, or both.

• 2 years later...

Don't worry, nothing bad's happened to him!

I've noticed that because of the pandemic, the club has had staff cleaning down absolutely everything at Anfield. Maybe they've cleaned away all the Eau de Brucie too, and that's why we've entered this slump at home. The mad croc-wrestling bastard needs to get back to Anfield as well as the training ground and piss on all the goalposts and corner flags again.

Said it before but i can’t stand him. That tale about pissing on the goalposts was stolen from Barry Fry who done it at Birmingham years before to clear a gypsys curse.

Been watching the old games on LFCTV and he’s as embarrassing as I remembered. 

Good job we had a team who could carry this bum..

Kenny says in one of his autobiographies that he was going in for southall but directed the budget elsewhere. Think it was for Rushie’s return. You don’t hear many ex players praise him.

Stayed here far too long. 

• Downvote 5

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

Said it before but i can’t stand him. That tale about pissing on the goalposts was stolen from Barry Fry who done it at Birmingham years before to clear a gypsys curse.

Been watching the old games on LFCTV and he’s as embarrassing as I remembered. 

Good job we had a team who could carry this bum..

Kenny says in one of his autobiographies that he was going in for southall but directed the budget elsewhere. Think it was for Rushie’s return. You don’t hear many ex players praise him.

Stayed here far too long. 

I agree that he outstayed his time here, but I wouldn’t call him a bum.

After the initial (consistent) gaffes, he settled down and did OK in between. You can also look back and find some absolute worldies he made. Soured me a bit with the fixing allegations, but on balance, I personally look back at Bruce with a certain degree of fondness.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Grobbelaar was a brilliant goalkeeper and sadly underrated after all that shit in the rags. He was years ahead of his time. He made more mistakes because he took more risks which have now become the role of the modern keeper.

I agree on the taking risks. He was a trailblazer back then and his good, far and away outweighed the bad.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Red 74 really has a bee in his bonnet over Grobbelaar. If he was that bad he'd never have won what he did. 

Brucie was polarizing for some. I kind of get that.

However, I’ll always cite the save from Graeme Sharp in the 86 cup final as a prime example of his brilliance. The athleticism of that save is rarely seen, even today. And I don’t want to hear about it only being necessary because he was out of position.

The only reason he was out of position was because Jockie uncharacteristically hoofed it across the front of his own 18 yard box, and Brucie’s recovery was out of this world.

I can't believe people are badmouthing Brucie. What is the world coming to.

Grobbelaar was the first autograph I ever got. My dad worked in the pharmacy in Deysbrook Lane and Bruce would pop in after training to buy nappies.

Simply the most agile goalkeeper I've ever seen. In another life he would have been an acrobat.

• Upvote 2

Find it hard to believe some of the stuff that gets posted on here. Yeah, Brucie did cost us a couple of games but he won us far more than he lost us.

I'll never forget his spaghetti legs in the Stadio Olimpico. I remember thinking when Chico blasted that first over the bar me and the old girl had come all this distance to see the boys lose on pens only for Brucie and the other boys haul us over the line. Not only in the home of the Italian Champions but also right in front of their fans.

And if Brucie was a 'bum,' what does that make Bob, Joe and the King for playing him in their teams?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The reverence in which the like of Shilton was held, was always befuddling to me. 

The bloke was basically as mobile as a house-brick, compared to Brucie when their careers crossed.

Ok Shilton was getting on by then, but even at his peak with Forest, I think he paled in comparison to Brucie at his peak. Brucie was a different animal. Different generation and brought a new dynamic.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Find it hard to believe some of the stuff that gets posted on here. Yeah, Brucie did cost us a couple of games but he won us far more than he lost us.

I'll never forget his spaghetti legs in the Stadio Olimpico. I remember thinking when Chico blasted that first over the bar me and the old girl had come all this distance to see the boys lose on pens only for Brucie and the other boys haul us over the line. Not only in the home of the Italian Champions but also right in front of their fans.

And if Brucie was a 'bum,' what does that make Bob, Joe and the King for playing him in their teams?

In terms of your last paragraph- which is spot-on, Kenny didn’t and doesn’t, suffer fools. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ant 2 Threads said:

In terms of your last paragraph- which is spot-on, Kenny didn’t and doesn’t, suffer fools. 

Haha. I remember one game and at a corner, Brucie fumbled the catch and it went for another corner. Kenny who was player manager yelled at him ' Fucking git hold of it!' with real anger on his face. We all pissed ourselves on the Kop at that.

Corner comes in and Brucie shouts as loud as he could 'Mine!' as he came to collect it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He was kept on because he was cheap and we had teams who could win.  He was caught on camera moaning about how poor he was paid by us and that’s why he resorted to taking (alleged) bungs. 

Going on about a wonder save in a derby, big deal, what about the times he threw games against them. 

Swear to god, some people on here tolerate some absolute shite because they’re zany while they take the piss out of us

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ant 2 Threads said:

The reverence in which the like of Shilton was held, was always befuddling to me. 

The bloke was basically as mobile as a house-brick, compared to Brucie when their careers crossed.

Ok Shilton was getting on by then, but even at his peak with Forest, I think he paled in comparison to Brucie at his peak. Brucie was a different animal. Different generation and brought a new dynamic.

Shilton must have had all his best games in the 70’s because I’ve never seen him have a good game from when I started watching footy in the 80’s. 

A fat fraud who should have been put out to pasture years before.