You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bruce Grobbelaar

mht1892

Guest San Don
EDIT: Hang on, he was cleared.

Ahem.

People doubt Brucie and which 'paper' was it that published the 'allegations' about him?

As for him not being a legend, he's up there with the flying pig, and clam as our great number ones.

He had his pay-off reduced to £1 and was ordered to pay 500k costs.

Regardless of the paper, his defence that he "was on a spying mission to find out who the crooks were" is fucking lame.

There were holes in the whole bribe scandal for sure, but enough substance to make Reds feel wary of the term 'Legend'.

Regardless of the paper, his defence that he "was on a spying mission to find out who the crooks were" is fucking lame.

There were holes in the whole bribe scandal for sure, but enough substance to make Reds feel wary of the term 'Legend'.

Something was definitely amiss, but for what he did for the families after Hillsborough, he'll always be a legend. Tarnished but, all the same.

Guest San Don

Isnt british justice great? You get found in your favour and costs. Then the rag appeals and he still gets a not guilty but finds his award reduced to a quid and he has to pay costs! WTF is that about?

I defy anyone to show me a game Bruce deliberately didnt stop a goal or chucked the ball in his own net.

All this at a time when we were winning titles and cups etc.

Seriously, if anyone believes that rag over the word and actions of one of our players, they should have a word with themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't believe for a second he ever chucked a game for us and until someone can prove it he's still a legend for me.

Neither do I. He wasn't greedy, he was the first player I've heard of who gave away some of his testimonial money (£200,000 I think). But the biggest doubt in my mind is, where are the bookies who were supposed to have paid out on these "thrown games"?

Not one has ever come forward to say that they paid out heavily on any of the results. The reason they haven't come forward, is because they don't exist.