You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina continues to ready the fans for summer move.

Horus

No man is bigger than the club. We all want the players to remember that, but the fans must remember it too. I don't want to see Pepe leave, he's a fantastic keeper. However as a fan I refuse to worry about whether he does or not, I trust the club to look after business and either keep him or replace him.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reina is one of the most difficult players for us to replace, if not THE most difficult. As many have said on here, I just don't see the obvious replacements. That said, there seems to be the feel-good factor back at the club and Kenny has bought the pride back. He has bought the philosophy of the club is bigger than anyone back, so we will move on if needs be.

I would be gutted if he left and I hope its all paper talk, but I just have a bad feeling that he will go. If he does want to go, I would want it demanding that he can only go abroad though as I wouldn't want to see him coming back to Anfield with another English club.

I don't agree with this at all. We should never look to strengthen a rival. Ever. The ladyboy fucked us over with his tantrum and preferred destination at the last possible minute in January, but in the summer with months to do the business - i can't see us let another high profile player join a rival team, and neither should we. If we want to continue the rebuild we have to over-take those ahead of us, not reinforce and enhance their position.

I don't agree with it either - even though I've said "fine" to Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

Do we have a choice though? We can say NO to 1 club, not 10 clubs. He says he wants to win titles - he has to go to a club like United or Chelsea or City or Barcelona or Madrid to do that.

Reina is one of the most difficult players for us to replace, if not THE most difficult. As many have said on here, I just don't see the obvious replacements. That said, there seems to be the feel-good factor back at the club and Kenny has bought the pride back. He has bought the philosophy of the club is bigger than anyone back, so we will move on if needs be.

I would be gutted if he left and I hope its all paper talk, but I just have a bad feeling that he will go. If he does want to go, I would want it demanding that he can only go abroad though as I wouldn't want to see him coming back to Anfield with another English club.

I started out thinking this way but then realized that his unique strengths that would make him so difficult to replace, his sweeping and his distribution have hardly been key factors recently. We've stopped playing the offside trap so the sweeping keeping has been a non-issue and frankly his distribution has been poor by his standards.

Still we all now how difficult it is to replace a top goalie. Us, Arsenal and Manure have struggled mightily in the past even though we've each had the pick of the crop.

Where have I insulted him?

I tell my wife to fuck off all the time, doesn't mean i don't love her!

Anyway, I'm not saying he was being underhand or sneaky in any way. But I speak Spanish and I heard the interview, and he had a chance to put it bed and he didn't.

I hope I'm proved wrong, i really do. I love Pepe as much as the next man. But this is the second or third time he's come out with this sort of thing now, and that's always where it starts.

I called Torres on it, and took some right fucking stick on here for being right about that, and the very same spider senses are tingling right now with Pepe.

Would love to be wrong, but I can smell it.

Fair enough. I'm just a sensitive soul, is all. I don't doubt anyone's respect for the man, barring ATK circa 2005/6 (winky smiley, if you're reading this), just think that particular article is no basis for getting angry. I agree, if his interviews become more frequent, then we have to worry, but this was a rehash of a rehash and doesn't mean Reina's been gabbing to the press again.

edit - having said that, he'll probably fuck off.

Edited by Jorge Borge

Like many, I also think he'll be off in the summer, and the worst thing is I think its most likely to be United or Arsenal that he joins.

I heard he'd ruled out a return to spain, plus I don't think either Barca or Madrid would want him. I don't see him going to Italy either and again I don't think the big Italian clubs would want him either.

Ordinarily I’d say that any player who doesn’t want to be at the Club should be moved on sharpish but, remembering how many poor keepers we went through before we replaced Grobelaar properly, I’d say we should do all we can to persuade Pepe to at least give us another season to see where we are at the end of it. We had a decade of James, Friedel, Westerveld, Dudek, Kirkland and Carson. All promised a lot at first but none reached the standard required at Liverpool. Really great keepers are not that easy to find.

Hopefully a strong finish to this season will give him pause for thought, especially if it includes us doing well against City, Spurs and Arsenal. Since Kenny took over we’re the form team in the Division, and hasn’t been able to field his strongest eleven yet.

If he does go, I can’t see us selling him to Utd and would he really want to play in front of what passes for a “defence” at Arsenal?

Maybe Abramovic wants to replace Cech, he’s never been the same after his head injury.

How many years does Pepe have left on his contract? If it more than a couple, then we should just keep him next season, regardless. He's a professional. He'll play.

Then lets see what his mindset is like after 1 full season under the new regime. If we make the improvements we're all hoping for, then - things have a way of sorting themselves out ...

He doesn't strike me (from a distance) as the type of chap who will deliberately underplay, try to sow dissension or just generally be a PITA if he doesn't get his way.

Xabi gave us his best season, AFTER he had apparantly decided he wanted to move on.

How many years does Pepe have left on his contract? If it more than a couple, then we should just keep him next season, regardless. He's a professional. He'll play.

Then lets see what his mindset is like after 1 full season under the new regime. If we make the improvements we're all hoping for, then - things have a way of sorting themselves out ...

He doesn't strike me (from a distance) as the type of chap who will deliberately underplay, try to sow dissension or just generally be a PITA if he doesn't get his way.

Xabi gave us his best season, AFTER he had apparantly decided he wanted to move on.

I'd imagine this would depend on the existence (or not) of the £22m buy out clause in his contract.

I think he is open to leaving, but I'm not sure anyone in this country will be willing to pay the release clause amount for him. Maybe City. Arsenal could in theory (if their regular "we have cash to spend" claims are to be believed), but Wenger seems unwilling to spend big in general. The Mancs are being linked to a number of expensive players, but I'm not sure where their money is supposed to be coming from. They are after Young, Costa and a number of others who would cost £10+ million. I can se them looking for better value in that position. And Chelsea don't need him.

I'm sorry, but were has all this 'definitely leaving' stuff came from? He has never once said that, let's not judge on old quotes from January after his best mate was sold. He's unhappy at the state of the club, so are we. But anyone with a hole in their arse can see improvements faster than we expected. It's not nailed on at all he'll leave, infact I'd put money on him being here next season.

The spine that Benitez built is all but gone, if this move really goes ahead. Torres - gone, Alonso - gone, Mascherano - gone, Hyypia - gone, Reina - well who knows. The replacements have not been up to the standard required, and we are where we are. Gerrard and Carragher are still here, but need replacing in the next couple of years or at least their role will change.

It's unfortunately again rebuilding time, we have two new strikers, one at least looks like a real deal, but I'd prefer not to have to change the goalkeeper when two or three major signings are necessary in the near future.

Put him on the market for £20m and see who rattles our cage.

If the Mancs come a calling, then raise the price to £50m. If he doesn't like it, then tought shit. Fuck me, the Mancs wouldn't sell us Heinze, then we definitely aint selling them Reina. I'd sincerely prefer we paid his wages for him to play in the reserves, and then fined him a month's wages each time he failed to play for them. He'd end up owing US money by the end of it.

I hope he doesn't go,he's probably in the top 2-3 keepers in the world but if he does (he was linked with Bayern in the summer)then Lloris or De Gea are a must as replacements the latter only being 20 could be a slight problem could he handle the pressure at that age ? I read somewhere that the spainish goalkeeper coach recons De Gea is better than Pepe at that age weather he will still be better than Pepe at 28 is another matter.We really need to sell Pepe (obviously only if he wants to go)to a foreign club Bayern if it was true would be ideal for us and probably Pepe they are good salary payers they buy big name players and 9/10 seasons challenge for domestic trophies aswell as being in the champions league every year,and more importantly were not strengthening our rivals.

Saw a cracking goalkeeping display from the Sevilla replacement keeper against Valencia, he was brilliant.

As much as I want a British core to our next generation team, I really don't mind a Spanish or latin keeper. They tend to be able to play football, so can spot a pass. Also, the eccentricity thing is usually a bonus.

Wasn't it the Daily Star who were accused of completely fictionalising several interviews with Spanish or Spain-based players last year? I know it doesn't prove or disprove anything in this case, but I would say that direct quotes from that paper should be taken with an even bigger pinch of salt than most others.

Wasn't it the Daily Star who were accused of completely fictionalising several interviews with Spanish or Spain-based players last year? I know it doesn't prove or disprove anything in this case, but I would say that direct quotes from that paper should be taken with an even bigger pinch of salt than most others.

They were, but the original interview that basically started this was on Spanish radio. He certainly said what has been quoted, no doubt The Star padded them out a bit though.