You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guilty Dog.

Funkasy

Common myth actually the dog is displaying fear not guilt.

Dogs do not display guilt and does not associate anything the man done then with the act of eating the party mix, you cannot punish a dog in retrospect of something, its just mental torture for the dog who does not understand why you are doing it to him/her.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Dogs do not display guilt and does not associate anything the man done then with the act of eating the party mix, you cannot punish a dog in retrospect of something, its just mental torture for the dog who does not understand why you are doing it to him/her.

Bet you're a fuckin' hoot on a date.

Then why is the first dog not reacting like the second one ? he's doing the exact same thing to both of them.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Then why is the first dog not reacting like the second one ? he's doing the exact same thing to both of them.

Dennis is actually correct, apart from the end bit. The dog does know what it's done, but at the time it didn't, it was instinct. Who cares, tho', it's a very funny video, and along comes Barbara Monghouse to piss all over it.

Dennis, any quick fix on a dog who can't resist going for bikes/motorbikes?

Dennis, any quick fix on a dog who can't resist going for bikes/motorbikes?

I assume it's when you're walking him? Not just wandering round the estate on his own like in the old days. First try distraction, when you see/hear a bike take a biscuit out of your pocket and get his attention, if he stays focused on you rather than the bike- give him the biscuit. If he pulls toward the bike turn and walk the opposite way. If all else fails try word/sound association- when you hear a bike, say "bike" and boot the dog in the nuts. Pretty soon the word bike will make him turn immediately to face you.

Moving. On the lead or off it, she can't help herself.

She's a seven-year-old cross terrier. I got her from a shelter when she was three. Is there a cut-off point for training/positive reinforcement?

Not sure what you mean by that. Positive methods do not use enforcement as such with a severe fixations, positive methods make use of calm behavior which is what you desire and what the dog wants, the dog simply needs to be asked to do this and not asked to chase the car/bike. Negative methods do not address the dog as it tries to do but address the method instead. Positive methods do not directly refer to the behavior as such but the cycle of behavior.

I would never use food as even when it works it heightens the dog to an elevated mental state which is not a calm dog. I just teach the dog what I want and the dog wants to do it naturally, as you see there is a reason a dog will happily give it's life for working for it's owner and a cat would not. The dog wants to make its owner happy and it shouldn't be a problem to prevent the behavior. Did it start when it was with you or before?

Sorry missed this. The man treats his dogs like children, clearly they treat them both differently so will have different behaviorial reactions to the man who had already made up his mind which the dogs can smell the chemical emotion on the man clearly and I debated whether to post the reply I did but fuck it I'll take some shit, can't be worse than projecting human behavior onto a dog.

Not sure what you mean by that. Positive methods do not use enforcement as such with a severe fixations, positive methods make use of calm behavior which is what you desire and what the dog wants, the dog simply needs to be asked to do this and not asked to chase the car/bike. Negative methods do not address the dog as it tries to do but address the method instead. Positive methods do not directly refer to the behavior as such but the cycle of behavior.

I would never use food as even when it works it heightens the dog to an elevated mental state which is not a calm dog. I just teach the dog what I want and the dog wants to do it naturally, as you see there is a reason a dog will happily give it's life for working for it's owner and a cat would not. The dog wants to make its owner happy and it shouldn't be a problem to prevent the behavior. Did it start when it was with you or before?

Would have always played up a bit before. Seems a little yappier now though.

Would have always played up a bit before. Seems a little yappier now though.

Well first thing, it's not really possible to have control of the dog if it is off leash near cars as no matter what anyone thinks.

Depends how severe the dog is as I say, the answer to the question depends on how you taught the dog the behavior. When did it first happen?

Guest PurpleNose
Ha, look at his guilty little face! I reckon the first dog ate even more of the treats but just wears the burden better.

Bit harsh sending him off to the kennel after though.

Looked a pretty clear red to me. Laughing in the ref's face was never going to help his cause.