You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Documentaries

Ted

Of the Michael Moore ones Roger and Me is a good un, check that out - about General Motors generating record profits and still closing plants

Others - I though the Biggie & Tupac one was quite interesting, cant remember his name, think he did one on Cobain as well. I'm not the least bit interested in shouty rap music but I did enjoy the program

Edit - Nick Broomfield was his name.

Back in the day World In Action used to do some fabulous documentaries, dont know if theres any Best Ofs on DVD....some brilliant documentaries, Granada have never bettered this.

Edit - Yes there is - they are on HMV, I think I'll be getting them myself.

'the corporation' is pretty much as much as I could reccomend for now, compelling viewing, I would add a thousand more but for not wanting to drown you in docu's so if I had to reccomend one it would be that.

Is it available on youtube?

Recommend the Cocaine Cowboys ones as well.

Michael Moores TV series were good too.

One in particular involving driving a lorry painted with the hammer and sickle through mid west US,it was hilarious.

Another had the CEO of Ford giving his car a service too. Entertaining stuff.

Had a pm or two on other docs to reccomend which will reply to when a little less busy, what I would sya though for anyone looking for good docs theres a fair few recent 'horizon' docs that are pretty good should be available for bbc/iplayer download or on demand etc. One I haven't watched yet about the mass privatisation being done atm and the private companies set to profit from it all.

Did anyone see Kidult : Mrathon Boy on BBC4 the other night ?

One word : INCREDIBLE

Sorta Slumdog Millionaire crossed with Chariots of Fire.

Tiny little 6 year old kid, running a 48 mile journey between two temples in 45 degree Iandian heat ! He get's a fuckin shift on n'all, when he finishes, hid dad makes him run another 2 miles to the fucking stadium !

By the time he gets there, the kid's half dead !

The kid swears like a cunt n'all. I think it was his headmaster he told to "suck my cock motherfucker", cos he complained cos the kid used to just pull down his pants and shit anywhere.

Could possibly be on BBC iplayer, but an incredible documentary.

Yeah, remember following his progress in his early years he ran something silly like 17 marathons in a year, when he was 3 years old, may not have been 17, may be more or less, but he WAS 3 years old.

Watched that a few days ago but knew of him from when he was doing in when he was a toddler, I'm sure there is another kid somewhere in Africa of Brasil or somewhere around the same time doing long runs and beating men at them, makes me realise I think I'm a documentary addict.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

A filmmaker decides to make a documentary about a murdered friend after this friend's ex-girlfriend announces she is expecting his son, so that the boy can appreciate how loved his dad was.

Don't read anything about the case, make sure you watch it cold. A truly devastating and relentlessly grim piece of work. Truth is indeed far more fucked up than fiction.

• Upvote 1

Most I was about to recommend have been mentioned.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil is superb. Charts various failures and eventual success of a Canadian hair metal band.

King of Kong is a fantastic shout and surprisingly moving.

Assault In The Ring is excellent.

Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price is a sobering piece of work on the damage done to local economies and businesses by massive corporations.

A bit older, but When We Were Kings the Ali/Foreman Zaire documentary is amazing if anybody hasn't seen it.

The ESPN 30 for 30 were generally brilliant too, with The Two Escobars, Muhammed and Larry, Without Bias and The Trial of Allen Iverson among the best. My favourite was Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs The New York Knicks which is outrageously good.

some good shouts on here, can we have a sticky first post with a full list please?

I'll back up king of kong and the first cocaine cowboys.

war

Namibia : Genocide and the 2nd reich.

The Deaf Holocaust

World at War

Auchwitz the Final Solution

also the ireland trilogy, provos, loyalists and the brits are very good.

My new king of kong has to be Best Worst Movie.

Enviromental

Tapped and Who Killed the Electric Car are both good.

Also i really seriously recomend watching Wonderland : THe man who ate badgers : you couldn't script something better. Hilarious.

I have to say that despite the dross tv shows it continually nowadays produces the BBC still is basolutely fantastic when it comes to documentaries. The most recent being Brian Cox's brilliant Wonders of the UIniverse.

Attenborough's are always good shit, I love Bruce Parry & Simon Reeve's travels around the globe.

Being a bit of a history geek I love watching that kinda shit. The World At War was an immense docu series so to was 'Auschwitz - The Nazi's & the final solution'. Latter being a topic semi close to me as i did that as my disseration at uni.

Like to add Stephen Fry in America & Dimbleby in Russia too

Being a bit of a history geek I love watching that kinda shit. The World At War was an immense docu series so to was 'Auschwitz - The Nazi's & the final solution'. Latter being a topic semi close to me as i did that as my disseration at uni.

You should check out the Deaf Holocaust, it's v interesting.

ON the subject of the beeb the Seven Wonders of the Industrial World is one of the best docudramas i've seen.