You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noos, do you have any tips on what fashion should be worn for the following roles, here are my examples.

1. Grunt (cleaner).

2. Semi-important grunt (head cleaner).

3. Important grunt (manager).

4. Very improtant grunt (area manager).

5. Super grunt (director).

I have heard it's best to dress as if you were in the role above what you are applying for, i.e. if you end up wearing jeans in your job, then go to the interview wearing trousers+shirt but no tie. Your advice would be appreciated.

Always suited booted and tie for an interview mate, whatever the job.

Unless you're a bird, in which case make sure your norks are clearly visible, and you give the clear impression that you are happy to fuck your way to the top. Let's face it, they won't be employing you for your brains will they, love?

For you lads based in Liverpool, if you can't find anywhere that sells ties, drop me a line and I'll send you one over.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
Always suited booted and tie for an interview mate, whatever the job.

Unless you're a bird, in which case make sure your norks are clearly visible, and you give the clear impression that you are happy to fuck your way to the top. Let's face it, they won't be employing you for your brains will they, love?

For you lads based in Liverpool, if you can't find anywhere that sells ties, drop me a line and I'll send you one over.

If i could rep you again i would.

Is that a tie-for-rent or thai-for-rent business you are hoping to start?

Most people seem to forget that you are interviewing the company and the people as much as they are interviewing you.

Ask about what your day job will actually involve and what they want from they person they are looking for, if you can get in early with these questions you can tailor your answers better.

One question I had recently was "are you a strategic thinker or a someone who actions on situations" silly question really as they had just spent 15mins explaining why they wanted a strategic thinker!

I do like to challenge the person interviewing, I'm not sure I'd recommend that approach for everyone but if they want someone who's not afraid to call it how they see it - it can be a good approach.

I've had some classic interviews, one for a comparison website and I swear the guy was on drugs one minute he was jumping up and down with enthusiasm the next he was close to tears, came out feeling like I had been violated...

The worst I've had recently is for a multinational who had an assessment day, I didn't want to go but a guy I know was working there and convinced me, a whole day of playing "the apprentice" type games and learning little about the company, the only good bits were giving the interviewers some stick.

Practice makes perfect and the more interviews you do the easier it gets, I tend to set myself up an interview every 3-6 months for that reason, either that or I'm slightly deranged.

Everyone gets a knock back now and then, if you didn't get it don't over analyse it, but take away the questions you got asked and think about how you could answer different, but if the original answer felt right stick with it at the next one.

Good luck anyone who's got one coming up..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest San Don

I work on a contract basis so get interviewed quite often. Worst interviewer was a woman at a US bank. She took 5 minutes of gabbing to ask a question. She took so fucking long that I actually forgot what she was asking!

Another interview with a bank in Yorkshire, they dropped in the old chestnut 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?' I said I dont admit to any weaknesses in interviews. They said, 'no come on, what are are your weaknesses?'

I said, I recognise I have weaknesses and work at correcting them but Im not telling you, you'll have to find them. Silly twats, must have thought I'd never been asked that one before.

Someone earlier is right though, you are interviewing the company as much as they are you.

I've never yet halted an interview telling them that they've failed but, I still hopeful!

Guest davelfc

I had a few interviews when I left the RAF, one interviewer was asking me some dumb questions. Anyway I asked him had be read my C.V. and he said he had. I told him that if he had really read it he wouldn't be asking me those questions.

I got the job, fortunately I also got a much better job one week later.

Pretty decent. I was up against a far more experienced candidate who probably spends less time on forums. The fella who interviewed me was a fucking derp anyway

That's the spirit!

Seriously, I'm going to be applying for a job in my restructured team shortly. Am likely to be interviewed by people who havent a fucking clue what the job entails in practice. I'm not good in situations like that

Had one last wk, working for Siemans on wind turbines. We had a presentation then group task which involved building a tower with spaghetti and marshmallows. Then talking about it. Finished off with a 45 min interview. Loads of Health and Safety questions, which tbh I wasn't really prepared for.

Had one last wk, working for Siemans on wind turbines. We had a presentation then group task which involved building a tower with spaghetti and marshmallows. Then talking about it. Finished off with a 45 min interview. Loads of Health and Safety questions, which tbh I wasn't really prepared for.

And have you had a response from them yet?

That's poor that is. It doesnt seem unreasonable to expect to hear the outcome of a job interview within a day or two or at least be given a good explanation as to why they wont be possible. The job application process is stressful enough (for most people) without being made to sweat for that length of time to hear the outcome

This has to be the biggest 'I'm a twat' answer one can give...

"Do you have any weaknesses?"

"Hmm... if anything.. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.."

In an interview many years ago i got asked

"do you have any weaknesses" and i replied with a cheeky

"yes, kryptonite"

That's poor that is. It doesnt seem unreasonable to expect to hear the outcome of a job interview within a day or two or at least be given a good explanation as to why they wont be possible. The job application process is stressful enough (for most people) without being made to sweat for that length of time to hear the outcome

They where interviewing last wed, thurs and fri. Apparently 36 jobs available.