You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think he means the interviews that he's done rather than interviews in general.

Spot on mate.

The point I was making is I've never been for a job thats important enough for me to get nervous about.

Dont get me wrong,I'd like to be in a position where it really did mean something to me,I really do envy those people.

But hopefully it will soon be different for my kids.

And BTW,well done to the OP.

I might've mentioned this on here before,I was at an interview one time and it was split into 2 parts.At the beginning of the second interview the girl asked me

"Have you any questions?"

"Yeah,just about the wages"

So she handed me a piece of paper with the breakdown of the pay,quickly reading it and a prompt calculation I decided (in my head) it would'nt be worthwhile taking the job even if offered.So she then says to me

"What do you think you could bring to this organisation?" to which I replied

"On those wages I'll be bringing a packed lunch"

Got a letter in the post to say they wouldn't be taken it any further

• 8 months later...

Went for an interview yesterday for a big media organisation. Very odd. Before I even went the woman was asking me questions like 'how long is your notice period, when could you start? Have you ever met (the bloke who was due to interview me, the head honcho), do you know him?" I was also asked to take my passport.

When I got there he seemed pretty quiet, he's either like that anyway or was fucked (it was quite late in the day and I think they'd had a few people in) but the other person interviewing was younger than me and seemed a bit of a 'broom up the arse' type and it all ended quite abruptly. Interview was about 20-25 minutes then I was whisked through various tests.

One thing that struck me though - and this is the second time I've been for an interview which would be considered a big step up - is that when I see these offices I just get a sense of dread. Not intimidation, just dread. And I think this affects my performance when I go to places like this for interviews. I feel like saying 'look mate, this'd be a sweet gig but I don't like water cooler talk and can't be doing with your number two's pinstriped accentless antics.'

I think one of the things I always liked about where I am now is the fact it's a small office with a small team of lads. No health and safety, no layers of management, no boardoom, just a few people getting on with their work and having a laugh.

To move up though, I'm going to have to go to a bigger setup - but I seriously hate them, cause for concern.

I'm the other way round, I have always worked for large multi national companies expect this one time where I did an 8 month contract. The company was small, had about 70 staff in total and 6 people in my team. There were a couple of guys there edging towards retirement and had been there straight out of school, it was their first and only job. The only thing that kept me going for those 8 months was the fact that I was on decent money and needed it as we'd just brought our first house. If it hadn't been for the house I think I would have left. I'm much happier now working for a company that has a massive HQ in Central London with over 170,000 employees worldwide.

To move up though, I'm going to have to go to a bigger setup - but I seriously hate them, cause for concern.

Or join a start-up that is going places.

Start-ups have a great feel. If you can find an ambitious one, then it might meet your ideal criteria.

I hate interviews, they're a pile of shite.

I had one about 18 months ago and lost out to someone else. I asked for feedback on why I didn't get the job the first time and they said, 'we have nothing negative to say about your interview, it was really good, the other guy just scored slightly higher'.

An opening in the same team then became available a few weeks later and they offered it straight to me without another interview. I was obviously then working with the lad who pipped me and it was evident straight away that he was obviously one of those lads who was good at interviews but not so good at the job.

Basically, formal interviews are not a good tool to ascertain if someone is the right fit for the job, in my opinion. If I had my own business and was recruiting, it would be a very informal process where I tried to work out the behaviours of the person rather than the competency. Anyone can gain the competency on the job, it's the behaviours which drive performance in my opinion.

Anyway, let us know how you get on Sec and good luck mate.

I hate interviews, they're a pile of shite.

I had one about 18 months ago and lost out to someone else. I asked for feedback on why I didn't get the job the first time and they said, 'we have nothing negative to say about your interview, it was really good, the other guy just scored slightly higher'.

An opening in the same team then became available a few weeks later and they offered it straight to me without another interview. I was obviously then working with the lad who pipped me and it was evident straight away that he was obviously one of those lads who was good at interviews but not so good at the job. Basically, formal interviews are not a good tool to ascertain if someone is the right fit for the job, in my opinion. If I had my own business and was recruiting, it would be a very informal process where I tried to work out the behaviours of the person rather than the competency. Anyone can gain the competency on the job, it's the behaviours which drive performance in my opinion.

Anyway, let us know how you get on Sec and good luck mate.

That's me right there, oh Yeah Brownie, 'ave it. I remember in an interview once they asked me to tell them a bit about the company, after about 4 minutes they said 'right, that's fine', I said 'NO, i know MORE', somehow I still got the job.

That's me right there, oh Yeah Brownie, 'ave it. I remember in an interview once they asked me to tell them a bit about the company, after about 4 minutes they said 'right, that's fine', I said 'NO, i know MORE', somehow I still got the job.

Haha! Me too.. Haven't got a clue what I do and when I'm supposed to do it, but the trick is to find people who do and make friends with them so they can bail you out when you get fucked!!!

• 6 months later...

Got an interview tomorrow so thought I would revisit old threads about the shit you have to go through to get a job. The job is very similar to my role at the moment but with more emphasis on the operational side as opposed to sales. Going through a thread like this fills me with dread but at the same time makes me want to just turn up and get on with it.

Got an interview tomorrow so thought I would revisit old threads about the shit you have to go through to get a job. The job is very similar to my role at the moment but with more emphasis on the operational side as opposed to sales. Going through a thread like this fills me with dread but at the same time makes me want to just turn up and get on with it.

Why dread? Or should I not be indulging you?

I was helping out another service with a recruitment day a couple of months ago. They had a load of jobs available with a number of internal promotions.

One of the questions was 'What barriers can you envisage to you fulfilling your role effectively'? The lad turned round and said, 'you want me to answer honestly? Shit management, people in roles they are not qualified for and mates being given jobs because they are mates'.

I was helping out another service with a recruitment day a couple of months ago. They had a load of jobs available with a number of internal promotions.

One of the questions was 'What barriers can you envisage to you fulfilling your role effectively'? The lad turned round and said, 'you want me to answer honestly? Shit management, people in roles they are not qualified for and mates being given jobs because they are mates'.

Ah, but did he get the job?

Why dread? Or should I not be indulging you?

You have to be false to people and get asked loads of fucking stupid questions.

I went for an interview last year for a job that looked like a piece of piss. I got there and was greeted by two fucking gimps, one of which was the year above me in school and a fucking spack. He spent the interview just bumbling through questions and checking my CV as we went through. The other twat decided to sit there posturing, really exaggerating his interest in what I was saying and over doing the nodding. I think he thought he was Sir Alan's right hand man on the apprentice.

Haha, you just don't get ahead being honest.

'Why you looking to leave your current role?'

'Bores the shit out of me and they have done away with our early dart.'

You have to be false to people and get asked loads of fucking stupid questions.

I know I know...am about to face the same myself...you seem to have got to the end of the road with your current job, though, so the only way to look at the interview stage is short term for long term gain???