You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just had the best job interview experience of my life, hands down.

• On Wednesday afternoon they booked me in for thursday 8am interview - friendly chat with a bit of tech questions
  • By Thursday 10am I had a practical code challenge sent out - it was both quite short but also interesting as there were a few ways to tackle it
  • I did that last night and sent it in 10:30pm, by 10:40pm they had replied and arranged a final interview for this morning to go over the code challenge.
  • Another 45 min probing and asking about the code, how, why, this, that, and then they offered the job on the spot.

48 hours from start to finish. Now waiting for the contract to sign so I can tell my boss (who just turned me down for promotion) that I'm so very sad to be leaving.

No bullshit. No wanky corporate speak. Just natural conversations and questions about stuff you'd be doing day to day in the job. Bliss, and actually enjoyable.

• Upvote 20

7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

• On Wednesday afternoon they booked me in for thursday 8am interview - friendly chat with a bit of tech questions
  • By Thursday 10am I had a practical code challenge sent out - it was both quite short but also interesting as there were a few ways to tackle it
  • I did that last night and sent it in 10:30pm, by 10:40pm they had replied and arranged a final interview for this morning to go over the code challenge.
  • Another 45 min probing and asking about the code, how, why, this, that, and then they offered the job on the spot.

48 hours from start to finish. Now waiting for the contract to sign so I can tell my boss (who just turned me down for promotion) that I'm so very sad to be leaving.

No bullshit. No wanky corporate speak. Just natural conversations and questions about stuff you'd be doing day to day in the job. Bliss, and actually enjoyable.

Congratulations. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

A bit ablest.

It was hard graft. I was the fittest I'd ever been working there and every day was a laugh.

It was 1983 and I'd never been happier. It closed down after 18 months and then it was the best part of 4 years on the dole.

It really was all or nothing in the 80's.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

What is one of those?

It's an online self-interview where you get given a series of questions, 30 secs prep time and then 3 minutes to record each answer using your webcam, which you then submit to the HireVue platform. Totally impersonal and fucking awful.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Congratulations mate, love a bit of good news 

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

It's an online self-interview where you get given a series of questions, 30 secs prep time and then 3 minutes to record each answer using your webcam, which you then submit to the HireVue platform. Totally impersonal and fucking awful.

I had something similar. Was terrible and I genuinely thought it was the worst interview I'd ever done

The whole process was cack

Bizarrely, and I still don't know how, I got the job

Convinced that complicated and convoluted interviews are a fucking waste of time... if they like you after 6 seconds they'll give you the job

8 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Congratulations and good luck with your new job.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jenson said:

i had a digital HireVue interview last week for a high end bio company. What a shitshow that was.

They're absolute dogshit those things.

Both times I tried getting in the BAE Systems Graduate Scheme I always fell at that hurdle. Fucking things! How the fucking hell are you expected to come across as yourself when answering a pre-recorded question. 

8 hours ago, Jenson said:

Sounds grim. To me the test should mirror pretty closely what the job entails. Not some fucking mystery bag of challenges. "How would you deal with a space man coming at you with knives for hands?" Err, sett the monkey with a knife on him?

7 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Congratulations mate, love a bit of good news 

Cheers. Still over the moon..and blocked.

6 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Congratulations and good luck with your new job.

Cheers. I'll be found out soon enough. Will try and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

18 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Ooooh look at me I've got a job. 

Prick. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 years later...

Bumping this, as I’m back in the middle of those pish and yesterday was asked what are my top 5 goals.

Took a drink of water to figure out what to say and blurted out something about family, health and travel. 

There won’t be many serious answers, but if anyone knows the right response I’d appreciate it?

On 10/07/2012 at 11:30, lifetime fan said:

I was helping out another service with a recruitment day a couple of months ago. They had a load of jobs available with a number of internal promotions.

One of the questions was 'What barriers can you envisage to you fulfilling your role effectively'? The lad turned round and said, 'you want me to answer honestly? Shit management, people in roles they are not qualified for and mates being given jobs because they are mates'.

Outstanding.

I bet the interviewer would genuinely like this.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Bumping this, as I’m back in the middle of those pish and yesterday was asked what are my top 5 goals.

Took a drink of water to figure out what to say and blurted out something about family, health and travel. 

There won’t be many serious answers, but if anyone knows the right response I’d appreciate it?

Can't give you an answer but I fucking hate questions like this.  Along with things like " where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

I think what you said was right enough, i think interviews have evolved to the point where they don't just look at technical stuff but also about you as a person and if you would fit. If your 5 points had to include undying loyalty to the employer ( and its not too long since they did) then its probably the wrong job. Good luck anyway

What's your greatest achievement?

What's your biggest regret?

Tell me about a time when you made a bad decision.

Worst questions I've had recently.

Oddly enough I just got hired on the back of a strong CV and a bad interview.  Probably made up their minds beforehand and it's just about not coming across as a complete tool or smacking the interviewer or something. Answers seemed to have little to do with it in this case.