You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How would we fare against Barcelona?

ReDeus

Guest Pistonbroke
I reckon we'd give them a game at Anfield. They'd probably batter us at their place or at a neutral venue but at home, with Anfield bouncing for a big European game, we would crush them on our way to a narrow 1-0 win.

Being as that is where we play i reckon you could be right.

Better tahn Arsenal. Even this squad would not bottle it as badly as they did. We would have got in their faces a lot more and played a bit higher up the pitch. 1-0 (Soto).

Absolutely. They shat themselves when RVP went off, even though they were winning on aggregate and had scrubbed out Barca's away goal. Wenger's face told the whole story - yes, they were hard done by, but he clearly didn't have a plan B. I'd like to think that one of last night's pundits (not Souey!) would have come into his own in that scenario, and he would have got Arsenal through from there. Then, when Barca went 4-3 up on aggregate, they seemed to think it was game over - even though one spawny goal would take them through! Absolutely clueless European showing, reminiscent of English clubs in their early Champions League days back in the mid '90's.

It's obviously difficult to guess how Kenny will be as a European manager, and we don't have the midfield to win these games now like we did under Rafa. But completely agree we would fare better than Arsenal, on passion and grit alone. No way would our heads go down like that when we were (a) ahead on aggregate or (b) needing only one goal to win.

Absolutely. They shat themselves when RVP went off, even though they were winning on aggregate and had scrubbed out Barca's away goal. Wenger's face told the whole story - yes, they were hard done by, but he clearly didn't have a plan B. I'd like to think that one of last night's pundits (not Souey!) would have come into his own in that scenario, and he would have got Arsenal through from there. Then, when Barca went 4-3 up on aggregate, they seemed to think it was game over - even though one spawny goal would take them through! Absolutely clueless European showing, reminiscent of English clubs in their early Champions League days back in the mid '90's.

It's obviously difficult to guess how Kenny will be as a European manager, and we don't have the midfield to win these games now like we did under Rafa. But completely agree we would fare better than Arsenal, on passion and grit alone. No way would our heads go down like that when we were (a) ahead on aggregate or (b) needing only one goal to win.

Fucking class of a post. Read my mind....

They would destroy us. What was Rafa alluding to last night when talking about playing 5 at the back against them? Didn't hear him properly, something about their game last weekend.

Don't know if I heard him correctly. I think he said that if you pay 5 at the back you have a better chance of suppressing their play with your wing backs pushing their fullbacks back. He also touched upon how Barcelona always try to look at playing through the middle with their CMs, but the fullbacks are always nearby to provide an alternative option. As such, playing 3 CBs will create a bigger obstacle for their players to try and go through the team centrally, and the wing backs will be cutting out the option their fullbacks provide. I think that's what he was alluding to; but suggested this as an option to restrict their play and make life more difficult for them. Not necessarily stop them from playing.

Don't know if I heard him correctly. I think he said that if you pay 5 at the back you have a better chance of suppressing their play with your wing backs pushing their fullbacks back. He also touched upon how Barcelona always try to look at playing through the middle with their CMs, but the fullbacks are always nearby to provide an alternative option. As such, playing 3 CBs will create a bigger obstacle for their players to try and go through the team centrally, and the wing backs will be cutting out the option their fullbacks provide. I think that's what he was alluding to; but suggested this as an option to restrict their play and make life more difficult for them. Not necessarily stop them from playing.

Would also restrict our attacking options, much like Arsenal last night with a lone front man. They're a fucking amazing team though, its scary how good they are.

Would also restrict our attacking options, much like Arsenal last night with a lone front man. They're a fucking amazing team though, its scary how good they are.

Wenger isn't a great tactician. Let's not forget though, Barca, for all their good play, could've been knocked out had Bendtner controlled that ball properly.

Better than Arsenal that's for sure, I have never seen such a tragic defensive display in the CL ever....

Their midfield was nowhere to be seen and the back four never managed to keep a straight line all evening....

As good as Barcelona are, and as well as they again played last night, the fact is they could very easily have gone out last night. They fucked up with the own goal to put Arsenal back in front, who had done nothing all night. They got very lucky to see Arsenal's best forward sent off laughably. They got through because they have fantastic players, but also because Arsenal were gutless and unfairly reduced to ten. What I'm saying is, a little spirit and a little luck would have seen them dumped out, and we could do that. More likely to than Arsenal, anyway.

They got through because they have fantastic players, but also because Arsenal were gutless and unfairly reduced to ten. What I'm saying is, a little spirit and a little luck would have seen them dumped out, and we could do that.

As opposed to being lucky that Barca had a goal wrongly disallowed in the first leg, should have a pen in the first half last night and Koschenly (sp) should have be rightly been sent off for the pen they did get?

Anyway, we'd snot them 17-2 over 2 legs.