You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The future SHOULD be bright, even if the present isn't!

WrongIslander

Do the opta statistics tell you how many times he gives the ball away, or how many times he gets knocked off it, or how many times he gives away a silly free kick in dangerous positions? How about how many games have we won since he's been a regular starter?

He doesn't give the ball away too often thesedays, he's very rarely knocked off it as his distribution speed and accuracy has increased, he's giving away less freekicks and making more important challenges in his own box and elsewhere and as for how many games we've won since he's been a starter, well that's just ridiculous to surmise that there is a direct correlation with our downfall and Lucas (one of the most consistent performers this season). Try looking at our lack of width, our non existant squad depth, our shocking back four/fiver/three or whatever makeshift line we have back there.

Lucas is not the problem, he never was. When he was a squad player he needed, to improve and now he has. Easy scapegoat used by lazy fans to make themselves think everything would be fine if he wasn't around when the truth is the exact opposite.

At this time Lucas Leiva is the ONLY holding defensive midfielder we have that has played meaningful minutes and you think the best thing is not to get some competition and depth for his place but to replace him with another player that would have to carry the position?

Look at the shite Scott Parker has to deal with at West Ham, yet he's still a great leader, his head never drops, he's always encouraging everyone around him to improve, which is what a great captain does.

I really don't understand your point about Gerrard, he's been a top player for years now, he hasn't matured all of a sudden into a great player and he's never been a great captain either, so I'm not sure how the fact that he hasn't been playing well because of the players around him reflect the fact that he's a great leader.

Under Benitez Gerrard mature into a better player, under Hodgson he stagnated and under Kenny he'll show the player he can be again.

I never rated him as a great captain until 2009 where he seemed to change completely and he was more of a leader than he's ever been.

Gerrard is wrongly viewed by the way he treated Traore and Biscan and the like, he didn't encourage them and he led more by example but that has changed now. Gerrard is always talking up new signings, backing players, saying and doing the right things and he's matured into a great captain and one I'm proud to have at Liverpool Football Club, that wasn't always the case, but it is now.

Let's see Parker carry a team for 10 years before we proclaim him better at it than Gerrard, let's see him play out of position in a European Cup final, let's see him have to watch quality players leave the club after they finally get somewhere and see how he reacts then.

Under Benitez Gerrard mature into a better player, under Hodgson he stagnated and under Kenny he'll show the player he can be again.

I never rated him as a great captain until 2009 where he seemed to change completely and he was more of a leader than he's ever been.

Gerrard is wrongly viewed by the way he treated Traore and Biscan and the like, he didn't encourage them and he led more by example but that has changed now. Gerrard is always talking up new signings, backing players, saying and doing the right things and he's matured into a great captain and one I'm proud to have at Liverpool Football Club, that wasn't always the case, but it is now.

Let's see Parker carry a team for 10 years before we proclaim him better at it than Gerrard, let's see him play out of position in a European Cup final, let's see him have to watch quality players leave the club after they finally get somewhere and see how he reacts then.

I agree with the bit about Rafa developing Gerrard into a better player, but he will probably have to adapt his game again in the near future because he seems to have lost a yard of pace.

For me it's not about how Gerrard treated Traore & Biscan, it's just his general attitude on the pitch, how he shrugs his shoulders and makes faces when someone loses the ball instead of trying to help recover the ball and other incidents like THAT face when Ngog was coming on at Birmingham. It's what most/all of us were thinking at the time, but as captain he shouldn't be undermining the manager or other players, however inferior to him, infront of the TV cameras.

Think the bottom paragraph is more to do with Gerrard being a talented player who can carry teams and play in numerous positions, rather than being a great captain.

I agree with the bit about Rafa developing Gerrard into a better player, but he will probably have to adapt his game again in the near future because he seems to have lost a yard of pace.

For me it's not about how Gerrard treated Traore & Biscan, it's just his general attitude on the pitch, how he shrugs his shoulders and makes faces when someone loses the ball instead of trying to help recover the ball and other incidents like THAT face when Ngog was coming on at Birmingham. It's what most/all of us were thinking at the time, but as captain he shouldn't be undermining the manager or other players, however inferior to him, infront of the TV cameras.

Think the bottom paragraph is more to do with Gerrard being a talented player who can carry teams and play in numerous positions, rather than being a great captain.

I've no problem with what Gerrard did regards Torres. As for the bottom paragraph, when you're a great player it's easier to become a great captain.

I'd rather have Gerrard as the captain of Liverpool rather than "Scotty" Parker.

Carra either takes his place on the bench or he is no use to us. I'm sorry, I love the lad but he's 34 next season and while he still reads the game fantastically, he lacks pace, is not the strongest (though he is the most tenacious) and he's not tall enough or dominant enough aerially. Liverpool turn his weakness into a strength by having him as a squad player, a defender from the bench that others would envy. Even Maldini had to call it a day sometime Carra!

90k a week to sit on the bench all season?

It's like Joe Cole or Jovanavic. If you're on that sort of wage, you need to be playing to justify it. Otherwise those wages should be saved for players who will play.

90k a week to sit on the bench all season?

It's like Joe Cole or Jovanavic. If you're on that sort of wage, you need to be playing to justify it. Otherwise those wages should be saved for players who will play.

One season, that's all. He's earned it to be fair. Cole or Jovanovic haven't so yeah get rid of them.

It's sort of like the "Jeter" payment (baseball)

How does that stat apply to players whose sides keep possession. I'll be honest I hate stats. I'd rather form my opinion from watching a match.

His pass completion on average is typically near the 86% mark. So he's fine in a side that play possesion football, much like the Brazil team he currently plays for.

As you say if you watch Lucas, you'll see his contibution. It's based on positioning, tactical awareness, passing & moving, be available for a pass and also retrieving the ball from the opponents.

We will be a much better team next season, I have no doubts at all about that. In many ways we have over-achieved so far under Kenny - except in Europe where we have been completely dire. I think we will invest quite a bit (maybe not as much as some people hope, but as long as we spend wisely then it shouldn't be an issue) and strengthen in the areas we need to strengthen. If everyone pulls in the same direction and our scouting is done well, I am cautiously optimistic that we can challenge for the title next season. I'm not exactly expecting it, but I do think it's possible.

Hahahaha. It did come across a bit like that didn't it?

I suppose I meant I wanted a player who had attacking instincts, can score and create goals, and can operate in more than one position.

Like a Pires. Or at the moment Ashley Young.

But yeah, winger has become a dirty word, but only because some dull cunt will start quacking on about them being 'an inside forward' instead, and I can't be arsed having that argument all over again.

I f*** don't care what you call him; forward, winger or inside out midfield wanker. Just go out there and get us another Barnes. Then we'll be all right.