You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Book Club - Book 6: THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy

Guido

Just read everyone else's comments. It seems I'm on my own.

I forgot about that truly shocking bit (well, two really) when I posted above. Yes, they were gruesome.

I didn't know it had been made into a film, but it did feel filmic when I was reading it.

I appreciate your comment for context, Bri, but even so, I'll stick with my original view: not a book I enjoyed or got a lot from.

It was excellently researched, but I didn't know the meaning of at least one word per page, which usually referred to part of a house / boat / building etc. I was reading "He took the ----- from the ------ and tied a ------ with the ------- and put it in the -------" a bit too often.

I found that a little annoying too. Wasn't sure whether to embrace the use of unusual words as colourful or to see it as McCarthy trying to show off. He did the same in Blood Meridian so perhaps he just loves words. Have the same conflict when reading Will Self too.

Didn't feel it was emotionless as you say, although i can see that the 'landscape/location-as-a-character' thing wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and could stop the reader feeling involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Cormac McCarthy's books - at least those I have read - are ones where I feel that the weight and craft of his writing actually obscures the narrative. And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Blood Meridian has some passages that I go back to read again and again, simply because they are brilliant to read - almost like standalone pieces of poetry rather than part of a long format story. I feel he could write about anything and make me want to read it, but not really care too much about what happens as the thing unfolds.

Could we have a thread where we talk about books in general rather than one book in general?

I havent read any Cormac McCarthy books but did enjoy the film No Country for Old Men.

Don think I would enjoy the road as its not my own type of book but to each their own.

Maybe we could split reviews into different genres to appeal across the board?

Could we have a thread where we talk about books in general rather than one book in general?

I havent read any Cormac McCarthy books but did enjoy the film No Country for Old Men.

Don think I would enjoy the road as its not my own type of book but to each their own.

Maybe we could split reviews into different genres to appeal across the board?

You want this thread, no? http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/38019-gf-book-thread.html

• 2 weeks later...

Cold, dark and depressing, but oh so beautifully written. Watched the film straight afterwards, as I had to make an essay about the differences between the movie and the book. The comments on the back cover said: "You have to watch it twice. The first time to discover the genius of the book, second time to see the brilliance of the movie." Thought it was a tad exaggerated, but I did love both.