You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Gig You've Ever Seen?

Paisley Red

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron Maiden Empire theatre 12 October 86 -my first gig and 25 years ago today

Metallica at Donnington 91

Anthrax/Testament Royal court 87

Blur in manchester on great escape tour

Gomez - HJC support night 1999 i think

SFA at various times at the royal court

Bowie royal court about 1999/2000

Bjorn again at the phil last year

Such happy memories

Top performance that. I loved that projection veil over the stage.

I've seen hundreds of top performances, some small, intimate gigs (Stone Roses, Stephen Duffy, Johnathan Richman) with a handful of people in the audience interacting, others at about 10 Glastonburys (plural?) I've been to or big "concerts". The La's and Mission (and Wylie) at Royal Court in 1989 was special.

It's a hard choice, but I can't think of any better than McCartney at Glastonbury for me. Springsteen in Sheffield was close. As were Pixies in Manchester.

Impossible to pick best ever as there have been so many but these stand out.

Bruce Springsteen at Bramall Lane, Sheffield (Tunnel of Love tour)

That's the one I was on about - incredible performance. Just went up on the day because someone mentioned it at a party the night before, bought tickets outside and didn't have any expectations. He played for 4 hours or something.

He had even the most cynical of us eating out of his hand by the end. A showman putting on a show and taking every one of the audience with him.

The best gig I've been to was in May this year, Sufjan Stevens at the Manchester Apollo. It was in the middle of my amazing run of gigs which included The National, Arcade Fire and bright Eyes too but this was definitely the best.

I've been wanting to see him for a few years, since hearing Illinois and when the opportunity came to do so I couldn't turn it down.

We waited, the lights dimmed and Sufjan arrived on stage armed only with an acoustic guitar; he plucked his way gently through the first half of Seven Swans before the stage lights went up, his neon outfit began to glow, the rest of the band joined in and his massive swan wings opened.

He played most of the tracks from his latest album, The Age of Adz, threw in a cover of REM's The One I Love and did encore of Concerning the UFO sighting, Casimir Pulaski Day and finally Chicago. There were stories to be told of Royal Robertson and his influence on the latest album, there was excessive amounts of neon, dancing and a whole load of balloons and ticker tape. It was the most theatrical gig I've been to, the most fun and it was incredible to see an artist at the top of his game.

The Orb - Glasgow Barrowlands 1993

Although I was chemically altered to within an inch of my sanity, so I could probably have sat in a room with a washing machine and a flickering lightbulb and had a similar experience.

Haha. They played in Liverpool in mid-90s. My mate was off his head. He went dancing to the band and completely lost himself. He came back after about half an hour as the music had stopped.

"That was the best gig EVER! What a band!" he said.

"Gary, the Orb haven't been on yet. That was the warm-up DJ. It's not even 10 o'clock."

• 1 year later...

Felice Brothers, Whelans in Dublin 2009

Frightened Rabbit in Roisin Dubh (Galway)

Low Anthem in Roisin Dubh

Springsteen, acoustic Ghost of Tom Joad tour 1995

Avett Brothers and Grace Potter in Button Factory, Dublin last month

The Duke and the King in a church in Sligo.

So many to recall.......

Clash of the Titans (Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies) - 1990 NEC

Metallica - NEC 1991

Sepultura/Sacred Reich - International 2 1990, I think

Slayer in the tent at Download, most mental pit I've ever been in.

Fishbone London Astoria 1992

Carcass Damnation Festival 2008

Big 4, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax at Sonisphere 2011

Rammstein NEC 2012

Orange Goblin at a shitty pub in Stockport, 2008 or 9

Daft Punk Manchester Academy, around the world tour

Beastie Boys Brixton Academy 1995

I'm sure I've missed a few out as well.....damn hard to single out just one these days

So many to recall.......

Clash of the Titans (Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies) - 1990 NEC

Metallica - NEC 1991

Sepultura/Sacred Reich - International 2 1990, I think

Slayer in the tent at Download, most mental pit I've ever been in.

Fishbone London Astoria 1992

Carcass Damnation Festival 2008

Big 4, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax at Sonisphere 2011

Rammstein NEC 2012

Orange Goblin at a shitty pub in Stockport, 2008 or 9

Daft Punk Manchester Academy, around the world tour

Beastie Boys Brixton Academy 1995

I'm sure I've missed a few out as well.....damn hard to single out just one these days

Was also at the Clash of the Titans. Suicidal rule.

Was also in the same tiny mosh pit at Download for Slayer. That really was fucking mental mate.

Fishbone, love em but never seen them, so I envy you that.

Defo want to see them with Rocky George. Tell em what's up Rocky...

Orbital, Glastonbury 1995

Guns and Roses / Faith No More / Soundgarden, Wembley 1992

Rage against the Machine, Reading 1993

Ozric Tentacles, Leicester de Montfort 1995

Saw this. Never really been a massive fan of bands that could walk off stage midway through a gig and no-one would notice as the machine would just carry on, but that night it all made sense.

I remember "You Give Love a Bad Name" and "Heaven Is a Place On Earth" being covered during Halcyon - funny and fantastic.

Foo Fighters at Reading last year. They played a load of songs of their first album which is my favourite, also some B-Sides like "Winnebago". I waited near the front for 8 hours listening to shit bands like the Kaiser Chiefs but it was all worth it in the end.

Was also at the Clash of the Titans. Suicidal rule.

Was also in the same tiny mosh pit at Download for Slayer. That really was fucking mental mate.

Fishbone, love em but never seen them, so I envy you that.

Defo want to see them with Rocky George. Tell em what's up Rocky...

I was so knackered after the Slayer pit that I couldn't go down the front for Metallica.

Fishbone played The Star & Garter in Manchester last year, which holds about 100 people, but I couldn't go, I was gutted. I wonder if Rocky still wear the same hat with "P" on it